• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 15: G.I. Joe Comics

7 posts in this topic

Yo Joe! or... Cobra!

I recently received a list of suggestions from a friend on topics to write about, one such topic struck me right away, to write about your favorite comic book toy tie-in. G.I. Joe instantly came to mind, how could I have not thought of this earlier?! I did pick up a few G.I. Joe comics in the early '90s, I was a fan of the toy line and cartoons, and so it was only natural that I would pick up a few of these comics. I cannot recall which issues I had, to be honest; I got the few issues I did as 10 or 11 year old for the sake of getting something. I had it good as a kid, Mom would say "yes" most of the time, and leaving a store empty handed was unacceptable in the mind of spoiled kid such as myself. I also felt lost reading the few issues I had, I was behind on the comic continuity as it was vastly different from the cartoons of the '80s and '90s, I knew the characters and had their figures but I did not understand the comics -- G.I. Joe was my thing, but it did not start me on comics.

G.I. Joe #1 was released by Marvel Comics in 1982 and ran over 150 issues, ending in 1994. I was able to read a handful of early issues in the late 2000s, I think it was volume 2 of the collected editions if I remember correctly (I sold it when I went through a phase where I thought I had to purge my collection), the volume I had did contain the classic "Silent Interlude," (#21, March 1984) a story told only with art, not a single word. I thought this was brilliant, I remember some of the first 9.8 examples for this issue realizing some very high prices. Reading some of those comics also gave me an even greater appreciation of one of my favorite characters, Storm Shadow. In the cartoons, Storm Shadow is a ninja for Cobra, "a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world." Storm Shadow is a mysterious villain, and not much of his back story is revealed in the cartoons, he's just a bad guy. In the comics, I got to learn of his complex backstory and his conflict with Snake Eyes and their history together. Cartoon Storm Shadow versus comic book Storm Shadow is very different; the term "villain" would be debatable for the comics version. There is a sharp contrast to many of the great characters when it comes to the comics' versions versus the cartoon. Another great example would be Cobra Commander, a two dimensional buffoon in the cartoons, and a dangerous, cult-like personality in the comics.

I have been briefly tempted to collect the Marvel comics over the years, writer Larry Hama wrote the entire series and the reviews are positive. It really comes down to the action figures for me, the 3 ¾ toys, they are what really captured my imagination as a kid. The figures would come on a card with a portrait of the particular character in an action pose, something you rarely seen today with action figures. The hook to my imagination was the dossier that came on the back of each figure's carded packaging. These were also penned by Hama, his description with the artwork on front made the characters come alive, making the G.I. Joe line very memorable. I remember clipping and saving all these dossiers as a kid, I would also notice the sharp contrast between these descriptions and the character portrayals on the cartoon, the villains had a way of being the world's most deadly mercenaries on the dossiers, but dimwits on the cartoons.

The cartoons from mid '80s had all of my favorite characters, there was also a series of cartoons from a different production company running a G.I. Joe series in the early '90s, these cartoons were not as good as the original 'toons. With both versions in syndication running simultaneously, I longed for the classic characters from the '80s. With the G.I. Joe toyline debuting in 1982 and lasting until 1994, there were quite a few characters. A new series would come out each year and the characters that came out each year would be discontinued from the store shelves after two years. With all my favorite characters from the mid '80s, (1984 had the best Cobras, 1985 had the best Joes) my favorites were long gone from store shelves by the early '90s. In the lunch room and playground, some of these characters could be had with a trade, either for other Joes or different toys altogether. This was a form of currency so to say, there were those who had older siblings who had handed down their Joes to them, the classic '80s characters, they were like gold and my friends and I would compete for rites to the best trades. Many of the actions figures that were traded had switched hands several times, some of them had worn paint of and loose limbs, there were almost never any of the original accessories but it didn't matter to us, these were toys you couldn't get anymore.

Like the comics I got at the time, the figures from the early '90s that I would get at the stores were mostly for the sake of getting something. I had hoped the comics would be a way to connect to the classic characters I liked but they did not catch on to me. G.I. Joe comics had a very complex history; I imagine it was hard to write all those issues as they were based on a toyline that came out with several new characters each year, there were a lot of people to keep track of. In the early 2000s I found an awesome toy shop, right across from an awesome comic shop. At the toy shop, I found a display that had most of the toyline from '82 to '94. Many of the figures looked brand new and had all their easily lost weapons and accessories. Guess what?! I was knocked on the floor with nostalgia! This display brought back a ton of memories, seeing many figures I wanted but never found as a kid all in one place was awesome. I began purchasing these figures; this was a chance for closure, as an adult I was able to begin completing the job I set out to do as a kid. This would be a bug that would bite me every few years or so in the 2000s, I did not want the entire line, just the cool characters. I now have a nice little collection of these figures from the '80s in "like new" condition, there are few characters the I could not find, but I like where this little collection stands, I'm good with what I have and I have "closed" this job. If I could somehow send these toys back thorough time to myself 20 plus years ago I would, I know I would have fainted if such a collection were presented to me, having them then and being able to play with these figures would have been so much more valuable than having them now, sitting untouched in their plastic bags.

I do not foresee collecting CGC examples of these comics in my future, but I would like to maybe read some Marvel reprints, I also have an issue from the more recent IDW series, from Free Comic Books day a few years ago. I gave the IDW issue a read, not too shabby!

Thanks for reading yet another trip down memory lane in my 30 in 30 series. Pictured below is probably my favorite cover from the Marvel run, also check out the chat board thread for some picture of my collection.

B.I. Joe

14680.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

"And knowing is half the battle..."

Wow! Quite a journal!

I grew up watching the 80's cartoon... even had a little crush on Lady Jane and the Baroness (always felt beautiful evil women were just misunderstood creatures and just needed a sensitive type to get them to see the light).

Although I never bought the toys (not sure why), I did buy the first issue which was this beautiful, glossy production on Baxter Paper that became a popular format in the early 80's. That was my only GI Joe comic... I really couldn't get into it. And quite honestly I didn't expect it to last... but boy was I wrong.

But the cartoon I watched religiously, every chance I got. Although I rooted for the good guys, Cobra had the better costumes and uniforms (save for Snake Eyes). So sometimes I was caught in the middle wondering who to root for.

Glad a certain friend was able to help!

Yo Joe!

SW3D

I too grew up watching the 80s cartoon, long before. I got into comics and realizes that the characters existed in that medium as well.

I too had thing for lady Jaye, and there was always something sexy about the Baroness as well.

I have collected a fair number of the comics in CGC grade. In fact, I had one signed by Bob McLeod and my number 1 copy signed by Bob and Herb Trimpe in Baltimore. Can't wait to get that one back!!

I owned all of the. Hasbro toy figurines and vehicles as a kid. I eventually sold all of the vehicles, but I actually still have most of the figures.

I actually downloaded the entire GI. Joe comic series through XComics, and it's been neat to read through the whole series in one big gulp. Not the same as heaving the real issues in my hand but pretty neat nonetheless.

Snake Eyes, of course, was always my favorite.

"And knowing is half the battle..."

Wow! Quite a journal!

I grew up watching the 80's cartoon... even had a little crush on Lady Jane and the Baroness (always felt beautiful evil women were just misunderstood creatures and just needed a sensitive type to get them to see the light).

Although I never bought the toys (not sure why), I did buy the first issue which was this beautiful, glossy production on Baxter Paper that became a popular format in the early 80's. That was my only GI Joe comic... I really couldn't get into it. And quite honestly I didn't expect it to last... but boy was I wrong.

But the cartoon I watched religiously, every chance I got. Although I rooted for the good guys, Cobra had the better costumes and uniforms (save for Snake Eyes). So sometimes I was caught in the middle wondering who to root for.

Glad a certain friend was able to help!

Yo Joe!

SW3D

I love the '80s cartoons, they still hold up. I like how they are written in a manner in which kids can follows, and those who are a bit older can still enjoy them. I really enjoy the mini-series from the first few years, The M.A.S.S. Device, The Revenge of Cobra and The Pyramid of Darkness. Writer Ron Friedman wrote great scripts for these, similar to the Indiana Jones films, where both sides are in pursuit of an object, an object which drives the plot.

When it come to Cobra leaders, I'm on team Cobra Commander but I do think the idea behind the creation of Serpentor is very cool! I liked the mini-series Arise, Serpentor, Arise, I like the idead of Cobra creating a leader from the D.N.A. of history's must ruthless leaders, Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Attila the Hun, Alexander the Great,Vlad the Impaler, Hannibal and Genghis Khan - cool idea!

B

Hey Bagofleas,

Nice collection of figures! I also checked out your G.I. Joe slabs, impressive. I splurged on a Storm Shadow figure from 1984 years ago, unfortunately the white plastic started to turn a bit yellow after I got him, the screw in the back was also slanted so I cannot replace the O ring inside, it's a bit lose. I never did get a Snake Eyes, the 1985 version with the wolf. I also never got Duke or Bach Head, two of my favorite Joes. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Brandon

P.S. I thought the movie was terrible, not even Sienna Miller as the Baroness could save it.