• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ottawa Pop Expo (Dec. 7-8)

54 posts in this topic

From a dealer perspective, I was wondering how it would have been for them. I thought they were being aggressive targeting a second con festival in Ottawa during Winter of all times.

I don't know why they bothered, honestly.

The guest list was putrid, specifically the comic guests. Terry Moore, the one lone bright spot, cancels days before. Larry Hama cancels (again...). Embarassing really.

I could count on one hand the amount of comic dealers there was. Other than Harley, I'm not sure there was anyone with any significant key books either.

Other than TWD cast, this was the exact equivalent to one of the monthly shows they used to put on at Landsown.... only for $30+ instead of $5 cover.

No chance I'm attending next years Pop Expo (if they even do it). Stick to one massive Comic Con in May and use all the resources towards getting a top notch comic AND celebrity guest list. Oh and please bring more than 4-5 comic dealers.

It was a flop for me comic book-wise. Very much so in fact. I barely sold anything over $2.00, unless it was a TPB/HC.

It's a good thing there were few dealers, because there were just as few people buying comics... It was a cosplay party really. Attendance was stated to be 7,000, but it sure felt like even fewer were there.

I'm extremely disappointed, but I'm not going to rag on the promoters. It is what it is. I made the most of it and had fun with my staff. No point in wallowing in the moment. Having said that, I would however never set-up at it again as a vendor at those prices at this time of the year with that type of target audience.

Live and learn...

From a dealer perspective, I was wondering how it would have been for them. I thought they were being aggressive targeting a second con festival in Ottawa during Winter of all times.

The guest list was putrid, specifically the comic guests. Terry Moore, the one lone bright spot, cancels days before. Larry Hama cancels (again...). Embarassing really.

I could count on one hand the amount of comic dealers there was. Other than Harley, I'm not sure there was anyone with any significant key books either.

Other than TWD cast, this was the exact equivalent to one of the monthly shows they used to put on at Landsown.... only for $30+ instead of $5 cover.

No chance I'm attending next years Pop Expo (if they even do it). Stick to one massive Comic Con in May and use all the resources towards getting a top notch comic AND celebrity guest list. Oh and please bring more than 4-5 comic dealers.

Do you mean Tony?

Do you mean Tony?

Right. Typing too fast haha

lol there's potential there... But WTF!?!?

When he gave it to you, what was your response? lol

The funny thing is, I was working, didn't even notice the third leg till the end of the show. I picked up up at the end of the day Sunday, too.

I thought it looked okay till I stopped and took a closer look at it, then I realized it looked half done. I've never had that issue with a sketch before. The lesson is take a very close look at sketches for now on. Which honestly I should have been doing anyway.

I can't believe someone you're paying for services thought that was an acceptable thing to hand back to someone.

It seriously does look half finished.

He spent more time on the background than he did spidey. He must have forgot about the backcover because no way he looks at the three legs and thanks that's a good sketch.