• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 45-53. The greatest run ever...

75 posts in this topic

I have to take it from 36 - 66 and add that Marvel has profited for years from what Kirby did in those 30 issues!

You mean #67, right? #66 is only the half part of the story.

#65: On the last panel: the hand of one of Warlock’s "Fathers", that’s why I consider this run (#61-67) sort of an extended, single story: :cloud9:

The feet, of course, is Ronan.

FantasticFour_065_p15_a.jpg

I'm already in disbelief on some of the things I've read in this thread.

Hush? Jimmy Olsen & Lex Luthor?

Above (or anywhere NEAR) FF #45-53, let alone #36-60?

Seriously?

Absolutely horrid. Y'all should be banned for even suggesting.

Peace,

Chip

I was talking about the significance of the characters introduced in that run, and there I think a very good case can be made that historically Superman, Jimmy, and Luthor beats any character introduced in the FF run in question. Actually Superman alone beats them all most likely.

In terms if how good the stories are - that is another issue.

Peace Chip.

Great thread. Yes the FF 45 to 52 run is pretty effing epic.

I would throw in the John Byrne FF run. There might not have been a lot of original characters created, but Byrne did a nice job dusting off the Lee-Kirby run and giving FF much-needed new life and a face-lift -- it had become a bit stale during the 70s.

Yes, but start with 36 and end with 60.

I agree. In addition to the great stories and art, some of the best COVERS are included in this run:

Those are my favorite covers from this run

I agree. In addition to the great stories and art, some of the best COVERS are included in this run:

Those are my favorite covers from this run

You forgot #46 -- my favorite cover from this run.

<a  href=FF46.jpg' alt='FF46.jpg'>

I would throw in the John Byrne FF run. There might not have been a lot of original characters created, but Byrne did a nice job dusting off the Lee-Kirby run and giving FF much-needed new life and a face-lift -- it had become a bit stale during the 70s.

Actually there are great stories and less great moments, the only truly weak period I can think of is after the last of the early Byrne stories like "Tower of Crystal, Dreams of Glass" (not written by him) and the start of the Byrne run as both writer/artist.

But if you take the Xandarian war storyline by Marv Wolfman, this is as good as it can get! (thumbs u

I have to take it from 36 - 66 and add that Marvel has profited for years from what Kirby did in those 30 issues!

You mean #67, right? #66 is only the half part of the story.

#65: On the last panel: the hand of one of Warlock’s "Fathers", that’s why I consider this run (#61-67) sort of an extended, single story: :cloud9:

The feet, of course, is Ronan.

FantasticFour_065_p15_a.jpg

I said 66 because I remember reading an article in the 'Jack Kirby Collector' that talked about 66-67 and how Jack was going one way with the story but then Stan took it in a direction Kirby wasn't happy with. It kind of signals the end of the creative outpouring that was happening with Jack. I think it's here that he starts to hold his ideas back. No matter, whether it's 36-66 or 67 (and 67 is still a great issue) it's a brilliant moment in comics. When people talk about the cosmic scope of Marvel Comics, that was Jack!

Love the comments and really enjoyed hearing your points of view.

Thanks for reminding me because the one thing I failed to think about with this run was.... the amazing covers. I was completely focused on storyline and characters created. The Kirby cover art for this run is stunning.

45. The Inhumans are introduced way in the background while Kirby focused on the dire concern of the ff team in one of the best group shot poses ever.

46. Black Bolt and the floating heads. I wish the heads design was a little moremuniquembut you have to love how JK put Black Bolt front and center in a huge bold pose against a gorgeous red background. This is one of my favorite covers of all time.

47. Again one of the least impressive issues and covers but still pretty awesome with action with Mr Fantastic being stretched out by Thing.

48. Now this is where it gets amazing. I can only imagine being a kid seeing this cover at the candy store and being scared witless as to what is scaring the pants off of everybody. The Watcher's poses is perfect and check out his eyes. Amazing.

49. My personal favorite cover of all time. Set this down side by side with issue 48 and you get the true picture of the story. We finally meet Galactus in all his powerful glory and might as he blasts away the gnats and the planet. Visually stunning in every way. Epic!

50. After coming off two of the great covers of all time we get an excellent underrated cover. Silver Surfer in full pose on his board against a brown background. I wonder how many backgrounds they looked at before choosing brown. You would think plain black or even space with stars but they went with brown. Still an excellent cover of the SS.

51. A book that is known more for its gut wrenching story than the dynamic art is still a classic. Kirby was able to convey the raw emotion of Thing's dilemma. Still packs and emotional punch and includes one of the best titles to an issue with "This man, this monster".

52. Can a character be introduced any better. Black Panther, black cover and appearing against the backdrop of the moon. Truly spectacular.

53. Hard to follow up with one legendary Black Panther cover with another but this one is tries and falls a little flat. What Kirby did well was the dramatic explosion in this shot.

Whew! Thanks for reminding of the art.

All absolutely true....but incomplete.

The whole story starts in issue 38, continues through 43, Annual 3, issue 44, and THEN into the stories listed above.

Medusa of the Inhumans first appeared in issue 36, a Done In One story, so the real saga starts in issue 38 with the reappearance of the Frightful Four, and from then on is essentially one long drama right through the end of issue 50.

I consider this to be the first great Marvel graphic novel.

Even though there are story arcs within the run, there is a heapin' chunk of continuity throughout the massive story, and it was Lee and Kirby at their absolute peak.

Remarkably good storytelling and holds up astonishingly well even after nearly 50 years.

Only problem is the inking on the Frightful Four return story (by Roussous, I think) is a bit poor or less suited to Jack‘s pencil. I agree the story is central also to understand Medusa’s motivations, but as much as I cherish #36, the art in #41-43 is not so great. :(

Speaking of covers, Bronx you must extend your well done analysis to #64-67, pleease! :)

I said 66 because I remember reading an article in the 'Jack Kirby Collector' that talked about 66-67 and how Jack was going one way with the story but then Stan took it in a direction Kirby wasn't happy with. It kind of signals the end of the creative outpouring that was happening with Jack. I think it's here that he starts to hold his ideas back. No matter, whether it's 36-66 or 67 (and 67 is still a great issue) it's a brilliant moment in comics. When people talk about the cosmic scope of Marvel Comics, that was Jack!

That’s interesting, I have all the issues of the JKC, do you remember where’s that article? That’s probably my favorite stories run, so I think that while it would be hard to imagine which conclusion Jack had in mind for Warlock (had known this before I’d have asked him) Stan’s final dialogues/ending are great. :)

I kind of like FF 35 as a start...... Johnny visits ESU with the team in tow to start the college selection process and Reed proposes to Sue...... all kind of ground breaking stuff for comics in those days. Nice Parker cameo also..... and I definitely vote to extend to 67 ..... what a monumental storyline.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I kind of like FF 35 as a start...... Johnny visits ESU with the team in tow to start the college selection process and Reed proposes to Sue...... all kind of ground breaking stuff for comics in those days. Nice Parker cameo also..... and I definitely vote to extend to 67 ..... what a monumental storyline.... GOD BLESS...

#35 has been among the first issues I picked when I started purchasing SA FFs (#49 was the first, by mere chance).

Man, I always loved that light blue cover, the whole composition, Dragon Man, the blurb on the cover announcing Johnny‘s studies, and the story is great.

Not to mention Chic Stone’s inking… :cloud9:

..... it's one of my personal favorites...... it was the first "old" FF that I ever had. My mom brought it home from a Church Bazaare that I was too lazy to go to. She said they had a whole room full of old comics at 20 for a dollar. I agonized over what might have been in that room for years. I have Burntboy's old copy and will likely never sell it. It's raw and I take it out and read it fairly often...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That’s interesting, I have all the issues of the JKC, do you remember where’s that article? That’s probably my favorite stories run, so I think that while it would be hard to imagine which conclusion Jack had in mind for Warlock (had known this before I’d have asked him) Stan’s final dialogues/ending are great. :)

There were a series of articles named A Failure to Communicate by Mike Gartland, which are all excellent reads. The one concerning 66/67 is A Failure to Communicate:Part 4 which is in the Jack Kirby Collector #24 or the Collected Jack Kirby Collector Vol 6.

35 is a nice starting place as well!