• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nov heritage auction.

329 posts in this topic

Books will always come on the market, but with the shift to OA, the push to get them is gonna be less. Just look at this auction, which is top heavy with over 800 pieces of original art...and so we see a pattern.

There were some very good GA books this auction, but real steals come on Sat with internet bidding only...

i don't think there is any "shift" to OA for the hobby. Maybe for Heritage, but not the hobby.

I watched every lot of GA in real time tonight and most outperformed what I would have expected.

I know 100s of GA comic collectors, darn few of them have "shifted" to OA, Darn few.

I only know of 1 GA collector that shifter to OA, and he did it about 15 years ago. PK.

It's been I while since I talked to Chris Foss from Heroes and Dragons, but I believe he shifted to primarily original art. (Is he a board member?)

He did shift to art but may have shifted again to another area (first edition books?).

I miss Foss....... he used to unexpectedly set up at the local Richmond show from time to time and he was SO cool to talk with.... he was definitely in the loop. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Books will always come on the market, but with the shift to OA, the push to get them is gonna be less. Just look at this auction, which is top heavy with over 800 pieces of original art...and so we see a pattern.

There were some very good GA books this auction, but real steals come on Sat with internet bidding only...

i don't think there is any "shift" to OA for the hobby. Maybe for Heritage, but not the hobby.

I watched every lot of GA in real time tonight and most outperformed what I would have expected.

I know 100s of GA comic collectors, darn few of them have "shifted" to OA, Darn few.

I only know of 1 GA collector that shifter to OA, and he did it about 15 years ago. PK.

It's been I while since I talked to Chris Foss from Heroes and Dragons, but I believe he shifted to primarily original art. (Is he a board member?)

He did shift to art but may have shifted again to another area (first edition books?).

I miss Foss....... he used to unexpectedly set up at the local Richmond show from time to time and he was SO cool to talk with.... he was definitely in the loop. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

(thumbs u Chris is a good man.

The book that really shocked me was Peanuts 1. Guide is probably around $1k and it went for $13k :o

Great book though :cloud9:

I noticed that too, my bid was blown away needless to say.

I'm wondering if the key cartoon books, and specifically the high grade rare ones are moving up into big boy land.

FC 9 FC 16 and WDCS 1 seem to be basically dead even in high grade (in terms of increasing value)

Same with other "newspaper" or Platinum era characters via Dell comics like Popeye, Dick Tracy, Orphan Annie, Smilin Jack, etc just dead.

But the randoms seem to be on the rise

Archie 1 Pep 22 continue to be on the rise and if an unrestored came to market would break previous marks.

Peanuts 1, Casper 1 (Paramount), Little Dot 1 or 6, Ace 11, Tip Tops w full peanuts covers, Funnies 64 65 all seem to be in the same boat. Any unrestored high grade makes a new mark if they even come up for sale. Same with the cartoon Large Features Bugs, and Donald do well.

Other keys that are finding there way are Terry Toons 38, Looney Tunes 1 (maybe), Sad Sack 1, Crackajack 39, FC 4, Our Gang 1

Kind of an interesting subset of the GA key market with hugely differing demands (and supply in some cases.) Its interesting that there really aren't too many FC 16's and Mickey Mouse is clearly important to the GA market and comics in general similar to Archie, but the FC 1 can't even hold a candle to Archie 1 and I don't think its just a low supply issue either.

It only takes a handful of collectors w deep disposable income to send some of those GA books going to the moon. heck there are late 40's -50s books that are el cheapo (sub $100) that I struggle to find above 6.0 and would happily pay 2-3x guide if and when they hit the market. It is all relative, but same dynamic.

Many books are so tough, folks w money know that when they hit the mkt, it could be another 2-3 yrs before they see another copy so they anti up w a higher bids. Since books like New Adv 26 were able to "hold" value from sky rocket price, that sets the precedence for the strong hands. Hence you see Adventure 36 hit 5k for mid grade copy. Now that the book is expensive even more folks will want it because everyone else does. Granted that book has a classic cover, I think same dynamic is at play for each price points/genre if rare.

Another dynamic is accessibility for new buyer base. I remember when Atlas PCH were cheap. I had incorrectly perceived them as poor mans ECs that no one wanted as no one talked about them. And they were hard to find, so to discover they were quite good depending on issue/run was dumb luck. I think the GA arena is a slow ice breaker for the mainstream because of accessibility. It was only a few years ago I went out of my way to read some MLJ and Hillman to discover I enjoyed them more than Timely/DC! What gives after 30 yrs of collecting? I felt like i betrayed my grail titles. So many titles to chase and we all have a budget of some kind. Reprints obviously help as does internet archives, but the collector base process still takes time. I think those who predict the demise of GA mkt when the old timers kick it (ag 60+) will be proved wrong. There might be stagnate years, but GA material of all eras is unique and will be appreciated in the years to come (albeit in cycles).

It only takes a handful of collectors w deep disposable income to send some of those GA books going to the moon. heck there are late 40's -50s books that are el cheapo (sub $100) that I struggle to find above 6.0 and would happily pay 2-3x guide if and when they hit the market. It is all relative, but same dynamic.

Many books are so tough, folks w money know that when they hit the mkt, it could be another 2-3 yrs before they see another copy so they anti up w a higher bids. Since books like New Adv 26 were able to "hold" value from sky rocket price, that sets the precedence for the strong hands. Hence you see Adventure 36 hit 5k for mid grade copy. Now that the book is expensive even more folks will want it because everyone else does. Granted that book has a classic cover, I think same dynamic is at play for each price points/genre if rare.

Another dynamic is accessibility for new buyer base. I remember when Atlas PCH were cheap. I had incorrectly perceived them as poor mans ECs that no one wanted as no one talked about them. And they were hard to find, so to discover they were quite good depending on issue/run was dumb luck. I think the GA arena is a slow ice breaker for the mainstream because of accessibility. It was only a few years ago I went out of my way to read some MLJ and Hillman to discover I enjoyed them more than Timely/DC! What gives after 30 yrs of collecting? I felt like i betrayed my grail titles. So many titles to chase and we all have a budget of some kind. Reprints obviously help as does internet archives, but the collector base process still takes time. I think those who predict the demise of GA mkt when the old timers kick it (ag 60+) will be proved wrong. There might be stagnate years, but GA material of all eras is unique and will be appreciated in the years to come (albeit in cycles).

How did you know I am over 60? Oh, wait...

Ha, your still a spring chicken, "old timer" means long time collector... spinner buyer from SA..... along those lines... slang you know. I grew up buying late 70s/80s so consider myself from that next gen, if there is such a classification.

Ha, your still a spring chicken, "old timer" means long time collector... spinner buyer from SA..... along those lines... slang you know. I grew up buying late 70s/80s so consider myself from that next gen, if there is such a classification.

Young whippersnapper?

Didn't anybody win anything?

I am high bidder on 3 books at the moment after the internet portion has closed, I had to bow out on a 4th book that I really wanted but the price went to the stratoshpere. It is my belief at the end of the live bidding I will likely win 2 of the remaining 3. I have high hopes I put a strong enough bid in for the 3rd book but I am probably going to be outbid.

...or pushed to the absolute maximum so Heritage maximizes profits...