• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

The new 'Tec #40 has arrived. Blue label goodness. :cloud9:

Not much drop off from my other copy if you ask me.

DETECTIVE COMICS #40 (1st Joker Cover; 1st Clayface) CGC 1.5

nsk7.jpg

y002.jpg

Congrats! :applause:

hard for me to tell where the ct is exactly, is it the green on the back of the guys jacket? doesn't look to bad, I would PM Kenny and see what he thinks. maybe give him better pics.

I was under the impression it was a touch up to the bricks, to the right of the Kane sig.

sorry, yeah I see it now, I guess what I was looking at is the inner CGC slab pressing against the book cover and giving it that "rainbow" look.

yeah, that ct doesn't look bad at all. I'd look into having it removed.

Here's a better pic of the amateur color touch:

o035.jpg

What do you guys think? Yay or nay to restoration removal? Don't know what's left under there and I would obviously take a hit in grade. But I'd rather have a lower blue than a higher PLOD.

I don't think that the spot in the yellow bricks is color touch,looks more like a small stain.Amatuer color touch is fairly easy to spot as the materials used,like felt tip markers,never match very well.I would guess it is probably on a crease,spine stress or small paper lift. Can you post a larger scan?

Here's a better pic of the amateur color touch:

o035.jpg

What do you guys think? Yay or nay to restoration removal? Don't know what's left under there and I would obviously take a hit in grade. But I'd rather have a lower blue than a higher PLOD.

I don't think that the spot in the yellow bricks is color touch,looks more like a small stain.Amatuer color touch is fairly easy to spot as the materials used,like felt tip markers,never match very well.I would guess it is probably on a crease,spine stress or small paper lift. Can you post a larger scan?

I'll see if I can get some better pics up in the near future.

Okay, folks...

I just won the pretty thing I was enamored with. :headbang: To say I'm super pumped would be an understatement.

Remember last week when I expressed a fondness for a certain early Action cover?...

ACTION COMICS #22 CGC 3.5 (Off-White to White Pages)

ldjt.jpg

ok5b.jpg

Should look really nice with my Superman #2. Starting to look like early Superman will be my primary focus in this Golden Age DC quest.

I have my eye on something in the CC auction ending in a few days. :wishluck:

After that, I'll probably slow down over the holidays so the wife doesn't hit me over the head with a baseball bat in my sleep. lol

Looks great! :applause:

Starting to look like early Superman will be my primary focus in this Golden Age DC quest.

I'm a big fan of those early Siegel and Shuster Actions and Supermans, and have quite a few myself. There's something so charming, and yet so raw and primitive about them. Unlike some GA heroes which read like they were written & drawn by committee, the early Supes covers & stories feel like true labors of love.

Starting to look like early Superman will be my primary focus in this Golden Age DC quest.

I'm a big fan of those early Siegel and Shuster Actions and Supermans, and have quite a few myself. There's something so charming, and yet so raw and primitive about them. Unlike some GA heroes which read like they were written & drawn by committee, the early Supes covers & stories feel like true labors of love.

perfectly stated Jon. (thumbs u

And congrats Jake on a great book :applause:

lol dude, I swear, I almost bid on that one as well, I was watching it til the end, I think it went for a VERY good price, if I didn't have other books on the want list right now, it might have gone higher, but I'm glad you won it. it's a very nice looking 3.5 blue.

congrats! (thumbs u

Remember last week when I expressed a fondness for a certain early Action cover?...

Sure do. :hi:

That's a CGC 3.5 that I could definitely get into - structurally very nice, and the scattered staining/discolorations don't bother me that much at all (especially on the back cover).

Toss in great PQ, and you have a ^^ Jake. :applause:

Sure do. :hi:

That's a CGC 3.5 that I could definitely get into - structurally very nice, and the scattered staining/discolorations don't bother me that much at all (especially on the back cover).

Toss in great PQ, and you have a ^^ Jake. :applause:

Thanks! The back cover staining doesn't really bother me either. I'm eager to have it in hand to see the front cover with my own eyes. But as you said, it looks so structurally nice that I think it'll be in my collection for a long, long time.

lol dude, I swear, I almost bid on that one as well, I was watching it til the end, I think it went for a VERY good price, if I didn't have other books on the want list right now, it might have gone higher, but I'm glad you won it. it's a very nice looking 3.5 blue.

congrats! (thumbs u

Like minds think alike! lol

Better let me know if you're looking at anything in the CC auction so I don't jinx you, though it's probably pretty apparent what I'm after. :gossip:

perfectly stated Jon. (thumbs u

And congrats Jake on a great book :applause:

Thanks, Bill!

I completely agree. I really like how the pre-#23 covers feel. The non-war covers seem to have a real populist vibe to them which matches the tone of a lot of the early Action/Supes stories. #23 is the first damsel in distress type cover in the Superman run, and the covers tend to grow increasingly generic for me from there on out.

That being said, #23 is still high on my list because of a certain you know who.

congrats! (thumbs u

Like minds think alike! lol

Better let me know if you're looking at anything in the CC auction so I don't jinx you, though it's probably pretty apparent what I'm after. :gossip:

no worries there, I don't even look at Comic Connect auctions. so go wild!

Okay, folks...

I just won the pretty thing I was enamored with. :headbang: To say I'm super pumped would be an understatement.

ldjt.jpg

ok5b.jpg

Should look really nice with my Superman #2. Starting to look like early Superman will be my primary focus in this Golden Age DC quest.

After that, I'll probably slow down over the holidays so the wife doesn't hit me over the head with

a baseball bat in my sleep. lol

Wonderful book. Congrats! I think it's one of the best early Supes covers.

Okay, folks...

ldjt.jpg

ok5b.jpg

After that, I'll probably slow down over the holidays so the wife doesn't hit me over the head with

a baseball bat in my sleep. lol

Wonderful book. Congrats! I think it's one of the best early Supes covers.

100% agree!

Tonight, I bid on the Action #10 (Coverless/Incomplete) in the Comic Connect auction and got blown out of the water.

Action #10 (CC Auction)

Thought I had a shot, but there are obviously some serious Action collectors out there willing to thrown down huge chunks of change for a coverless, incomplete, brittle copy.

Lesson learned... bring the big bucks or go home empty handed when it comes to early Actions.

Anybody here win it?

Tonight, I bid on the Action #10 (Coverless/Incomplete) in the Comic Connect auction and got blown out of the water.

Action #10 (CC Auction)

Thought I had a shot, but there are obviously some serious Action collectors out there willing to thrown down huge chunks of change for a coverless, incomplete, brittle copy.

Lesson learned... bring the big bucks or go home empty handed when it comes to early Actions.

Anybody here win it?

That was a tough book to like, given its many problems. The brittle pages would seem to be a killer for using it to complete another incomplete copy. But I guess for some people an early Action is an early Action, however beat. (shrug)

Action #10 (CC Auction)

Anybody here win it?

That was a tough book to like, given its many problems. The brittle pages would seem to be a killer for using it to complete another incomplete copy. But I guess for some people an early Action is an early Action, however beat. (shrug)

amazing that the 3.0 brittle copy went for $30,500. fuelman's copy of Action #10 was also a 3.0 and sold on Clink just 3 years ago for $23k, and it wasn't brittle. just crazy.