• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

I'm in love. :cloud9:

ACTION COMICS #13 (CC)

Of course, I know I don't stand a chance on this one, even though it's my #1 grail.

What do you guys think it'll go for?

maybe $10k give or take a few grand up or down.

I agree with Prime on this estimate as I think it will go slightly north of the 10K mark...the slightly brittle pages like Ciorac said should absolutely kill the final sales point but just like he said it probably won't in this case...this is one of those books that is unobtainable to many at a certain grade point and this is a nicely presentable classic cover for the low grade...all it takes is two dogs in a fight for this and it could soar quickly...I say make a run my friend...I did the same recently with a grail of mine...worst thing that could happen is you would lose...big deal, no regrets, you live to fight another day...it is a heck of a grail though...I figure with the recent 3.5 flying just south of 35K...10K has a real good shot!!! the nice part is for you there are currently 3 blue label 1.0s on the census and 1 blue 0.5 so it's not like it the only one of its kind...the remarkable thing about this book is that in 2007 GPA has a recorded sale of a 1.0 going for less than $2,500 :o somebody get this man a time machine!!!! I hope you get it CB bc like you I just recently got stung by the GOLDEN AGE bug and it stung hard man!! I wish we could find some of these books at the same prices they were even 5 years ago!! GL :wishluck: it's great to hear someone is floating in the same boat down the same creek as I!! BTW HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YA!! :headbang:

ACTION COMICS #13 (CC)

Of course, I know I don't stand a chance on this one, even though it's my #1 grail.

I agree with Prime on this estimate as I think it will go slightly north of the 10K mark...the slightly brittle pages like Ciorac said should absolutely kill the final sales point but just like he said it probably won't in this case...this is one of those books that is unobtainable to many at a certain grade point and this is a nicely presentable classic cover for the low grade...all it takes is two dogs in a fight for this and it could soar quickly...I say make a run my friend...I did the same recently with a grail of mine...worst thing that could happen is you would lose...big deal, no regrets, you live to fight another day...it is a heck of a grail though...I figure with the recent 3.5 flying just south of 35K...10K has a real good shot!!! the nice part is for you there are currently 3 blue label 1.0s on the census and 1 blue 0.5 so it's not like it the only one of its kind...the remarkable thing about this book is that in 2007 GPA has a recorded sale of a 1.0 going for less than $2,500 :o somebody get this man a time machine!!!! I hope you get it CB bc like you I just recently got stung by the GOLDEN AGE bug and it stung hard man!! I wish we could find some of these books at the same prices they were even 5 years ago!! GL :wishluck: it's great to hear someone is floating in the same boat down the same creek as I!! BTW HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YA!! :headbang:

Thanks! It's a crazy world we live in where a brittle 1.0 Action #13 is expected to clear the 10k mark!

ACTION COMICS #13 (CC)

Thanks! It's a crazy world we live in where a brittle 1.0 Action #13 is expected to clear the 10k mark!

(thumbs u

ACTION COMICS #13 (CC)

Most bidders for this book will be likely looking to have this restored and then they have a sweet looking copy for a fraction of the price. In its current state resto is probably the only way to go especially with the amount of old tape stains on it.

ACTION COMICS #13 (CC)

Most bidders for this book will be likely looking to have this restored and then they have a sweet looking copy for a fraction of the price. In its current state resto is probably the only way to go especially with the amount of old tape stains on it.

I say, at least make a run for it if the funds are available but don't stretch too much because it is no fun being out of the game 4 months while you are paying off a buy. One of my saddest days in collecting was when I sold my Action 13. It will be awhile before I can get one back. Buy hey, it helped me start my business, so who's complaining.

Good luck in you quest. I am a lover of DC books as well.

Thanks to roulette44, my Superman #2 has a new friend.

SUPERMAN #3 (CGC 2.0)

ppeq.jpg

Looks like the Action #13 will have to wait... for now. :grin:

I like it! You are building a nice collection very quickly brother. Save some for the rest of us DC geeks :)

Thanks to roulette44, my Superman #2 has a new friend.

SUPERMAN #3 (CGC 2.0)

ppeq.jpg

Looks like the Action #13 will have to wait... for now. :grin:

I like it! You are building a nice collection very quickly brother. Save some for the rest of us DC geeks :)

Well... I feel like I have to add a few big pieces before the well dries up, ya know? ;)

Nice! :golfclap:

+1 :headbang:

One of my favorite early Supes. Adore that cover. Nice copy!

Spoken like a true geek. Guys like you and me say "Nice copy" on low grade books as well as high grade books. lol

Conventional wisdom on the boards are nice copies start around VF

...... nothing wrong with a nice white paged "shoe leather" tough Good plus that you can drive a truck over and not hurt..... I still like reading my comics.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks, everybody! I was so excited to nab it that I struck the deal while I'm still on vacation. Now I'm gonna have to haul it back with me on the plane. Any idea what 30,000 feet does to slabs? lol

Just picked up a small piece on the 'Bay tonight.

FLASH COMICS #94 (raw/FR)

Grabbed it because I love me some Hawkman covers and this one is pretty cool. I'm not really up on the specific or individual scarcity of late run Flash Comics, but I am familiar with them being pretty hard to come by. At any rate, a pretty cool low grade book to add into the mix for relatively little investment.

z05r.jpg

FLASH COMICS #94 LISTING

I'm fairly up on the specifics. 85 through the end are tough (as are 25-40). 94 is tough, but not as bad as 93, 96, 99 or 103. Those are the doozies, IMO.

Nevertheless, very cool book.

Just picked up a small piece on the 'Bay tonight.

FLASH COMICS #94 (raw/FR)

Grabbed it because I love me some Hawkman covers and this one is pretty cool. I'm not really up on the specific or individual scarcity of late run Flash Comics, but I am familiar with them being pretty hard to come by. At any rate, a pretty cool low grade book to add into the mix for relatively little investment.

z05r.jpg

FLASH COMICS #94 LISTING

I'm fairly up on the specifics. 85 through the end are tough (as are 25-40). 94 is tough, but not as bad as 93, 96, 99 or 103. Those are the doozies, IMO.

Nevertheless, very cool book.

Great info! Exactly what I was looking for! (thumbs u

Is this guy a nut or what?

Large Coverless Lot

He can't possibly think that this is the best way to sell these books? That 'Tec #29 is probably worth 3-5k in and of itself. That prices everybody else out who might be interested in one or two of the other, lesser books. Just weird.

I snuck one last purchase in before I put the credit cards in the freezer. lol

A big thanks to filter81 for hooking me up!

ACTION COMICS #19 (CGC .5)

8vjk.jpg

Sure, it's only a .5, but it's got great eye appeal!

Clearly, early Supes is becoming my initial focus. :headbang: