• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

I snuck one last purchase in before I put the credit cards in the freezer. lol

A big thanks to filter81 for hooking me up!

ACTION COMICS #19 (CGC .5)

8vjk.jpg

Sure, it's only a .5, but it's got great eye appeal!

Clearly, early Supes is becoming my initial focus. :headbang:

Such a classic cover :applause:

8vjk.jpg

I gotta respect this one! :applause:

8vjk.jpg

I gotta respect this one! :applause:

It is your namesake after all

8vjk.jpg

one of my favorite early Action covers, congrats man (thumbs u

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, but here's a quick little update with my progress:

I was pretty funds poor after a few big purchases in Dec/Jan., so I took a mini-break with this project.

Then I saw a nice 1.8 blue 'Tec #45 pop up on HA and decided to try for and upgrage/downgrade on mine. I sold the 3.0 purple and nabbed this one.

image.jpg

So as it stands, my GA DC collection sits at:

SLABBED UNRESTORED:

Action Comics #19 CGC .5

Action Comics #22 CGC 3.5

Detective Comics #40 CGC 1.5

Detective Comics #45 CGC 1.8

Superman #2 CGC 1.0

Superman #3 CGC 2.0

SLABBED RESTORED:

Flash Comics #1 CGC NG (Hawkman Splash Only)

RAW:

All-American #90 FR/GD

Flash Comics #94 FR

Not bad for five months, huh?

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, but here's a quick little update with my progress:

I was pretty funds poor after a few big purchases in Dec/Jan., so I took a mini-break with this project.

Then I saw a nice 1.8 blue 'Tec #45 pop up on HA and decided to try for and upgrage/downgrade on mine. I sold the 3.0 purple and nabbed this one.

image.jpg

SLABBED UNRESTORED:

Action Comics #19 CGC .5

Superman #2 CGC 1.0

Superman #3 CGC 2.0

SLABBED RESTORED:

RAW:

All-American #90 FR/GD

Flash Comics #94 FR

Whale of a start on what is shaping up to be a great collection. (thumbs u

image.jpg

SLABBED UNRESTORED:

Action Comics #19 CGC .5

Superman #2 CGC 1.0

Superman #3 CGC 2.0

SLABBED RESTORED:

RAW:

All-American #90 FR/GD

Flash Comics #94 FR

great start man! :applause:

image.jpg

SLABBED UNRESTORED:

Action Comics #19 CGC .5

Superman #2 CGC 1.0

Superman #3 CGC 2.0

SLABBED RESTORED:

RAW:

All-American #90 FR/GD

Flash Comics #94 FR

Not bad at all!! I love the large logo detectives. :cloud9:

New edition to the collection:

TITLE: GREEN LANTERN #10 (1st Vandal Savage)

GRADE: FR/GD... Sold to me as G/VG

Green_Lantern10.jpg

Picked this one up this week. I was bidding on the CC auction copy, but it went sky high. So I was happy/skeptical to see this copy up on BestInComics for a very reasonable price.

I've been reticent to give these guys a shot. I've read some questionable things. But I went in fully aware and can't say I wasn't warned. Book has a lot of tape on spine and back cover. I could see most of it from the pic, so I wasn't shocked or anything. But it was definitely overgraded. Slight oddity on initial resto check as well. Though it's complete at 28dsip, two of the interior pages have flap overhangs on them like this, making it appear as though a page has been sliced out:

WP_20140327_001.jpg

Anybody have a thought on this? Maybe this is a common production error that I've somehow just never seen over the years, but my first thought was that a couple of the wraps had been sliced out, then restapled back in along with the tape repairs.

I'm in no way accusing BIC of doing this, probably just amateur OO repair if it's the case. But still, should have been spotted and disclosed. But if my assumption is correct (and I certainly could be off base), that would make this copy at best "conserved" if not restored. Not exactly what I wanted.

But as I stated, the price was right and I was willing to take the gamble of breaking it out of their magic break the seal/no returns toploader.

Looks like pretty white paper CB stll good deals on DC books unlike Timelys that break the bank :)

I wish the page color actually looked like that CJ! But alas, my phone seems to have really brightened it up. Pretty tan in hand.

Green_Lantern10.jpg

Picked this one up this week. I was bidding on the CC auction copy, but it went sky high. So I was happy/skeptical to see this copy up on BestInComics for a very reasonable price.

I've been reticent to give these guys a shot. I've read some questionable things. But I went in fully aware and can't say I wasn't warned. Book has a lot of tape on spine and back cover. I could see most of it from the pic, so I wasn't shocked or anything. But it was definitely overgraded. Slight oddity on initial resto check as well. Though it's complete at 28dsip, two of the interior pages have flap overhangs on them like this, making it appear as though a page has been sliced out:

WP_20140327_001.jpg

Anybody have a thought on this? Maybe this is a common production error that I've somehow just never seen over the years, but my first thought was that a couple of the wraps had been sliced out, then restapled back in along with the tape repairs.

I'm in no way accusing BIC of doing this, probably just amateur OO repair if it's the case. But still, should have been spotted and disclosed. But if my assumption is correct (and I certainly could be off base), that would make this copy at best "conserved" if not restored. Not exactly what I wanted.

But as I stated, the price was right and I was willing to take the gamble of breaking it out of their magic break the seal/no returns toploader.

Still looks like a pretty nice copy. From the pics, I could see a lot of dealers calling it G/VG. A GA book has to pretty much be a rag before most dealers will give it a grade of Fair.

What you are seeing with the individual pages being tipped in is how the book was produced; happens in GA books. I'm not familiar with this particular GL issue, but I would guess that is what you are seeing.

Green_Lantern10.jpg

WP_20140327_001.jpg

Still looks like a pretty nice copy. From the pics, I could see a lot of dealers calling it G/VG. A GA book has to pretty much be a rag before most dealers will give it a grade of Fair.

What you are seeing with the individual pages being tipped in is how the book was produced; happens in GA books. I'm not familiar with this particular GL issue, but I would guess that is what you are seeing.

Thanks for the input! I figured I might be way off base and that it could be a production error. I've personally never seen one like this until now.

As far as the grade, I'm not too disappointed. I consider myself a pretty tough, pessimistic grader and I tend to be even tougher on books in my collection. It's subjective. I still believe this book was overgraded and I personally don't believe in grading GA books any differently or easier than Silver to Modern. A grade is a grade to me. But everybody's different.

It's not as if BestInComics was calling it a VG/F or something atrocious. So I really can't be too hard on them. Just a hair or two off from my perspective. But like I said, I can't complain about the deal I got. I figured it would be overgraded by my standards and bought it anyway. And the price was more than reasonable. Still don't know what I think about their weird policies, but I'd probably buy from them again if the price was right.