• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

...... The tail end of the Flash Comics run is also some of the best the GA has to offer. If you can find one (not easy)..... a Flash 96 is one of my all time favorite comics. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Flash 96 is wicked tough. In the four years I've been (diligently) following Flash, I've seen fewest of that issue. The only one I've seen that isn't near PR is the one I own....and it's only a 3.0.

About 2 years ago, I passed on one auctioned off on ebay that had part of the cover ripped off. :whatev:

Haven't seen one since. :frustrated:

...... The tail end of the Flash Comics run is also some of the best the GA has to offer. If you can find one (not easy)..... a Flash 96 is one of my all time favorite comics. GOD BLESS....

Flash 96 is wicked tough. In the four years I've been (diligently) following Flash, I've seen fewest of that issue. The only one I've seen that isn't near PR is the one I own....and it's only a 3.0.

About 2 years ago, I passed on one auctioned off on ebay that had part of the cover ripped off. :whatev:

..... the Rose and Thorn splash from the Flash story is worth the price of admission alone. It wouldn't surprise me to see a real pretty Fine break the 1K barrier...... GOD BLESS.....

Book number four is on its way to the collection! :applause:

I consider this one an absolute steal. It's purple, but only because of a small amount of amateur color touch to the cover. I look forward to figuring out where exactly when it arrives.

DETECTIVE COMICS #45 (1st Joker story in Detective) (CGC Restored 3.0)

o8g2.jpg

0l7m.jpg

faq9.jpg

..... the Rose and Thorn splash from the Flash story is worth the price of admission alone. It wouldn't surprise me to see a real pretty Fine break the 1K barrier...... GOD BLESS.....

I've actually never seen this splash, Jimbo. Do you have a scan? Sounds awesome.

I consider this one an absolute steal. It's purple, but only because of a small amount of amateur color touch to the cover. I look forward to figuring out where exactly when it arrives.

o8g2.jpg

0l7m.jpg

faq9.jpg

I was watching that auction and almost bid, glad you ended up winning it. great book at a steal of a price. (thumbs u

o8g2.jpg

0l7m.jpg

faq9.jpg

I was watching that auction and almost bid, glad you ended up winning it. great book at a steal of a price. (thumbs u

Thanks! I'm really astonished that I got it for the price I did. Very happy with that. I'm just really curious to know where the color touch is. I'll let everybody know when I find it.

o8g2.jpg

0l7m.jpg

faq9.jpg

Well, the 'Tec #45 arrived today. Unfortunately, some bad news. It's missing its top label and has clearly been cracked out at some point. My guess is somebody was not too happy with the slight amateur color touch distinction.

Problem is, none of this was mentioned in the listing. I've reached out to the seller, and am hoping they will make it right somehow, slabbing costs at the least. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. But this was pretty glaringly obvious and would make one wonder how it could go unnoticed (if they weren't the crackers themselves-- which would be even more negligent). At any rate, we'll see.

Edited by Cosmic Boy

Superman 76 CGC 6.5 recently sold for about $1400+ on ebay.

not many copies are CGC i was curious if there are many in the Golden section that have copies. Im not really asking as to buy but trying to get an idea if many have it their radar or currently in the collection.

I have recently come across a hardcore collector in Argentina dating to the 1960's that has a pretty rare mexican version of Superman 76. In Mexico is was Superman #5 published the same year 1952 only 2 months after the original.

what do you think its value is based on being a Golden Key and possible 2015 movie speculation if any??

So it was cracked and put back in the slab ???!!!

What's the point? They still disclosed the restoration...

I think he is saying it was advertised, photographed, and sold as graded and in a slab, but it arrived cracked out of the holder.

So it was cracked and put back in the slab ???!!!

What's the point? They still disclosed the restoration...

I think he is saying it was advertised, photographed, and sold as graded and in a slab, but it arrived cracked out of the holder.

It's not really clear. The top label is mentioned as missing, but was that the paper label inside the slab or the sticker that runs along the top edge?

Hey guys,

Just to clarify a few things about my earlier post:

1) My post wasn't meant as an indictment of the seller. I was simply bummed with what I received. To his credit, I was immediately offered the standard "shipping's on you" refund. So I have that as an option here, though it's not really the one I wanted and I'm probably just gonna end up eating this one.

2) The slab arrived missing its top sticker (not label), and it had clearly been cracked open after slabbing as the sides of the case were easily splitting apart. So yes, it looks like it has been tampered with (not maliciously) and then put back together. Either that or it's the worst, loosest seal I've ever seen on a CGC book. Anything's possible, but I'm guessing the original slabber just didn't like the grade, cracked the book out to inspect something and then shottily pieced the slab back together. Nobody was trying to deceive anybody here, but none-the-less it's something that clearly needs to be mentioned on a listing as the seller was selling it as an clean slab.

3) The issue is not with the integrity of the book. I wholeheartedly believe it to be a slightly restored 3.0. I don't suspect the original slabber or seller of mischief of any kind to intentionally deceive about the book's condition or anything like that. However, since the integrity of the slab is now tampered with, I am stuck eating the cost of getting it slabbed again. This isn't a simple crack or scuff on the case, and I cannot just have it re-slabbed. I will have to pay the full slabbing costs in this situation.

The bottom line is that this bummer of situation all could have been avoided had the seller disclosed this obvious issue. You win some, you lose some.

Edited by Cosmic Boy

Hey guys,

1) My post wasn't meant as an indictment of the seller. I was simply bummed with what I received. To his credit, I was immediately offered the standard "shipping's on you" refund. So I have that as an option here, though it's not really the one I wanted and I'm probably just gonna end up eating this one.

2) The slab arrived missing its top sticker (not label), and it had clearly been cracked open after slabbing as the sides of the case were easily splitting apart. So yes, it looks like it has been tampered with (not maliciously) and then put back together. Either that or it's the worst, loosest seal I've ever seen on a CGC book. Anything's possible, but I'm guessing the original slabber just didn't like the grade, cracked the book out to inspect something and then shottily pieced the slab back together. Nobody was trying to deceive anybody here, but none-the-less it's something that clearly needs to be mentioned on a listing as the seller was selling it as an clean slab.

3) The issue is not with the integrity of the book. I wholeheartedly believe it to be a slightly restored 3.0. I don't suspect the original slabber or seller of mischief of any kind to intentionally deceive about the book's condition or anything like that. However, since the integrity of the slab is now tampered with, I am stuck eating the cost of getting it slabbed again. This isn't a simple crack or scuff on the case, and I cannot just have it re-slabbed. I will have to pay the full slabbing costs in this situation.

The bottom line is that this bummer of situation all could have been avoided had the seller disclosed this obvious issue. You win some, you lose some.

Did the seller say it was a surprise to him that the slab had been opened? If so, he should be apologizing, taking it back, and refunding your shipping costs. I thought eBay's buyer protection obliges him to refund shipping costs in a case like this. If I'm remembering correctly (and I easily may not be!), if he refuses to refund shipping, eBay will refund it and dock him for it.

If he knew the slab had been opened and didn't mention it, then I think you are being charitable in saying that no deception was involved. It's something that absolutely has to be mentioned.

To this point, the transaction would seem to merit negative fb. If I were the seller, I would be bending over backwards to avoid that outcome.

Perhaps the first buyer cracked it and returned it and the seller didn't notice that it had been cracked. Still, after being informed that the slab had been cracked, the seller shouldn't be trying to wiggle out of paying for return shipping.

That would be my guess as well.

But like I said, you live and you learn. It's still a cool book. I just have to sink a little more money into it now at no fault of my own. I'm sure we can all attest, that's just how this hobby works sometimes.

Hey guys,

Did the seller say it was a surprise to him that the slab had been opened? If so, he should be apologizing, taking it back, and refunding your shipping costs. I thought eBay's buyer protection obliges him to refund shipping costs in a case like this. If I'm remembering correctly (and I easily may not be!), if he refuses to refund shipping, eBay will refund it and dock him for it.

If he knew the slab had been opened and didn't mention it, then I think you are being charitable in saying that no deception was involved. It's something that absolutely has to be mentioned.

To this point, the transaction would seem to merit negative fb. If I were the seller, I would be bending over backwards to avoid that outcome.

It was apparently a consignment item. So who knows. You would have thought he would have caught it, given that he's a well known dealer, but everybody is entitled to a few mistakes.

Bottom line is that I want to keep the book, despite being bummed about the issues with the slab. It's a hard book to come by for the price I got it at, so I guess I just chalk it up to that. I'll just get it slabbed again and pray nothing else happened to the book when/if it was cracked (sure looks like it was).

Don't know whether I should consider negative feedback, but he certainly isn't getting positive.

Hey guys,

It was apparently a consignment item. So who knows. You would have thought he would have caught it, given that he's a well known dealer, but everybody is entitled to a few mistakes.

Bottom line is that I want to keep the book, despite being bummed about the issues with the slab. It's a hard book to come by for the price I got it at, so I guess I just chalk it up to that. I'll just get it slabbed again and pray nothing else happened to the book when/if it was cracked (sure looks like it was).

Don't know whether I should consider negative feedback, but he certainly isn't getting positive.

I guess if you the feel the price you paid plus the fees to get the book regraded are less than the price you would have been willing to pay, you will come out ok -- except for the aggravation and wait while the book goes through the grading process.

Still surprising that the seller wasn't willing to do more when told he had sold a book in a slab that had been opened.