• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Arrow 43 sells out - new art team as of issue #46

14 posts in this topic

DC Comics press release:

GREEN ARROW #43 SELLS OUT AT DC COMICS

Just two days after GREEN ARROW #43 (AUG0403886) arrived in stores on October 13, the issue has sold out at DC Comics. This powerful story, written by Judd Winick with art by Phil Hester and Andy Parks and a cover by Marcos Martin, reveals that Green Arrow ' s aspiring partner Mia Dearden is HIV positive.

"[Editor] Bob Schreck, Phil, Ande and the whole GREEN ARROW crew are thrilled that this story is reaching so many people, " says Winick. " We feel it's an important story as well as a meaningful one. It's very heartening to see it getting out there. "

"We're very pleased by the response to this issue and the creative team ' s strong, heartfelt work, " says Bob Wayne, DC ' s VP - Sales & Marketing. " We suggest retailers check their orders on upcoming issues to be sure they have enough as this story arc develops. "

Upcoming issues of GREEN ARROW are available as follows:

* GREEN ARROW #44 (SEP040319) is available for advance reorder and is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 10.

* GREEN ARROW #45 (OCT040282) is solicited in the October issue of Previews (Volume XIV #10) and is scheduled to arrive in stores on December 8.

DC Comics has no plans to go back to press on this issue at this time. Some copies of this issue still may be available in comic book stores

---------------------------------------------------------------

Green Arrow #42 - 31,748 - #43 was probably close to that number.

In other Green Arrow news, Phil Hester and Ande Parks are leaving the title as of issue #45.

The new creative team, announced today at CBR is TOM FOWLER and RODNEY RAMOS.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=4314

I know Tom Fowler personally, and he's a heck of a great artist and a funny guy and while I will miss Phil and Ande's work on GA, he's definitely a welcome replacement. Tom is a Canadian artist from the Ottawa area, and he's been a guest at both of our big shows (and should be back next spring - he'll definitely be getting a bigger billing!). He's been talking about the upcoming top secret DC project for a few months know (his exact words were "if I told you I would have to kill you".

I wish him all the best.

Fowler on his first few issues of GA and the Mia/Speedy/HIV story:

"It's great being involved with something like this, especially with 'Green Arrow's' history for relevance, but my main concern coming onto the book during the Mia storyline was that it was on its way to becoming a really gooey after-school special. Having now spoken to Judd about it and read the outline for the upcoming issues, I'm happy to say it's not. Far from it, in fact! Judd's whole point with this was to show that people with HIV can and do still live perfectly normal lives. Given that we're in the DC Universe, that includes superheroin'. As a result we're not going to be seeing Ollie sitting by a hospital bed as Mia withers away. In fact, the first 5 to 6 issues of my run are good, old-fashioned, straight-ahead superhero action with Mia's condition slightly colouring things, but not obscuring them. Which again is good, because as much as I think there's place for relevance in superhero books, I think there's been a tendency in the past to do it for the sake of the headline. Ultimately whatever it is gets in the way of the narrative, and that's produced some pretty dull comics. In Mia's case, the opportunity was there, staring everybody in the face and Judd's managing to pull it off without bludgeoning people with it."

I e-mailed Tom to congratulate him and his reply was:

thanks kevn, with today's announcement i've gone from "who the hell is tom fowler?" to "some guy named tom fowler". ah... the satisfaction of it all!

Here's an exclusive for the CGC boards. Tom was nice enough to send me scans of the pencils to pages 2 and 3 from Green Arrow #46. Enjoy:

ga46p2.jpgga46p3.jpg

thanks kevn, with today's announcement i've gone from "who the hell is tom fowler?" to "some guy named tom fowler". ah... the satisfaction of it all!

Here's an exclusive for the CGC boards. Tom was nice enough to send me scans of the pencils to pages 2 and 3 from Green Arrow #46. Enjoy:

Now I'll have to check it out! 893applaud-thumb.gif

ga46p2.jpgga46p3.jpg

Is it just me or does ALL art look better without color and ink? I would like to see an entire book donein just pencil.