• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions needed on a transaction I completed today at my LCS.

33 posts in this topic

Brought my ASM 129 CGC 9.2 white pages into the store earlier today looking to do a trade/cash deal. Needed some cash, but didn't want to go home without a decent book either.

So I traded my ASM 129 for this and 150 cash.

20131122_180126_zps3a3ef827.jpg

I had a few options to choose from as far as books were concerned. So...

My question is this. Should I have traded my ASM 129 CGC 9.2 for an ASM 300 CGC 9.6 white pages, another ASM 300 CGC 9.4 white pages and 250 cash?

It took me forever to decide so all in all I decided to go witj but ended up going with the ASM 129 CGC 8.5 and 150 cash...

Did I make the right choice??

Thanks in advance for the opinions:)

Brought my ASM 129 CGC 9.2 white pages into the store earlier today looking to do a trade/cash deal. Needed some cash, but didn't want to go home without a decent book either.

My question is this. Should I have traded my ASM 129 CGC 9.2 for an ASM 300 CGC 9.6 white pages, another ASM 300 CGC 9.4 white pages and 250 cash?

It took me forever to decide so all in all I decided to go witj but ended up going with the ASM 129 CGC 8.5 and 150 cash...

I've got an X-Men 94 8.5 that I like...Didn't have one previously in a 9.2, but it's good enough of a condition that I like having it in my collection. So, if you needed the cash, I think you did Ok in at least keeping the same issue and getting the cash.

Be happy with it and go forward. (thumbs u

The right choice is of course whatever makes you happy and accomplishes your goals. GPA may be of some assistance to you in the future though so you may wish to subscribe. For the 129 9.2 GPA for 90 days is 943 and for the 8.5 its 604.

I think you made the right decision to stay with 129 instead of 300. But I haven't checked GPA to check. As the previous poster suggested, GPA can help with these decisions. But, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you check my posts, you'll see deals I've had second thoughts on. In the end, the best way to get over it is buy your next coveted comic.

In the end this was required to gain the cash. Sometimes life throws a curve ball and you either swing for a home run or strike out. I would just chalk this up to one of the misses and wait for the next home run. This hobby always has its ups and downs.

At least you still own ASM #129 and can look at it while you have money to use. Don't let the deal sour you on the book try to enjoy it and upgrade later or save up to get one of your "grails" down the road to make it worthwhile in the end.

You got piped, dude. There is more than a three hundred dollar difference in those two books, especially if yours was better centered and/or white pages.

Yeah, but the only way to get full value is from another collector. Here the OP was selling to a dealer. The dealer had to offer less than MP to make a profit. That's the tradeoff. The OP got fast cash.

With the difference being $300, getting 50% of that from a dealer is a fair deal.

You got piped, dude. There is more than a three hundred dollar difference in those two books, especially if yours was better centered and/or white pages.

:eek: I hate to say it. I somewhat agree. I'm all for downgrading if you needed the cash and were happy with an 8.5. I love my 8.5! But if it was a $300+ difference, maybe he could have given you $200? (shrug)

But again, you're trading with a dealer who obviously needs to sell it for GPA or even slightly less. How fast did you need the $? Should have tried to sell it first for around GPA and with the cash, find a deal on an 8.5. 2c

Just depends on the urgency of the cash needs obviously.

And an 8.5 is dang respectable. If this were a hard to find book..... I might think it was not so good a deal, but theres like 10 of these in every CLINK auction

And an 8.5 is dang respectable. If this were a hard to find book..... I might think it was not so good a deal, but theres like 10 of these in every CLINK auction

Exactly. I would not have traded anything for the 8.5 he is showing. It's got QP issues. There are plenty of 8.5s that present better.

Let me put it this way...if I had just upgraded my off-center ugly 8.5 to a 9.2 for $150, I would be one happy camper.

Thanks everyone with the responses so far!

I needed the money like...today.

Knew I wasn't going to get top GPA, but I did get the $ I needed and still kept the same book pretty much.

Just really wanted to know if it was a better decision than taking the 2 ASM 300's and 200 cash.

Well depends on if you prefer punished or venom. From a straight gpa view the 300 deal is better (295+207+200= 702 vs the 600 value of the asm 129. But that of course assumes were talking dollar value. If you could care less about venom but love asm 129 then your deal is better.

Its a shame more people don't bother looking at my signature. I'd have hooked you up with the cash you needed and you could have gotten your book back when you were flush.

Yeah, but the only way to get full value is from another collector. Here the OP was selling to a dealer. The dealer had to offer less than MP to make a profit. That's the tradeoff. The OP got fast cash.

With the difference being $300, getting 50% of that from a dealer is a fair deal.

This. If you trade in at a comic store you should expect to get a smaller fraction of FMV. That is the price of quick and convenient cash.