• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel

161 posts in this topic

i liked the tornado scene, part of the restraint he needed to learn, makes the end scene more powerful

Exactly. When Pa Kent told him as a kid there may come a day he may need to let someone die, what happened with the hurricane was him living by his principles. So it drove home the point for Clark even his Earth father may need to be sacrificed.

Indeed

I'm still in love with that movie. :luhv:

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Well, Zod sure wanted to kill every human on the planet, so I don't think he was going to let Kal-El take the fight elsewhere. I do know what you are saying though.

:)

-slym

i liked the tornado scene, part of the restraint he needed to learn, makes the end scene more powerful

Exactly. When Pa Kent told him as a kid there may come a day he may need to let someone die, what happened with the hurricane was him living by his principles. So it drove home the point for Clark even his Earth father may need to be sacrificed.

It certainly showed how completely screwed up his principles were, sure. The main thing he seemed to be trying to teach Clark as far as I could tell was that Clark should always look out for number one. Protecting people? Not as important as protecting yourself. If other people have to die in order for you to keep your secret identity, then let them die. They aren't important. Protecting your own skin, that's the big thing.

Then he passive aggressively kills himself in order to lay the most epic guilt trip of all time on Clark. "Here's my final gift to you, son: The gift of crippling, eternal guilt. You're welcome."

The only thing epic about this movie is what an epic choad Pa Kent was in it.

p.s. Why does this thread feel so... familiar? hm

I'm still in love with that movie. :luhv:

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Well, Zod sure wanted to kill every human on the planet, so I don't think he was going to let Kal-El take the fight elsewhere. I do know what you are saying though.

:)

-slym

They needed Kal-El to actually take over the planet.

They would have followed him anywhere to capture/kill him. So if he went to the middle of the desert, arctic circle, middle of the forest...they'd have to follow.

It certainly showed how completely screwed up his principles were, sure. The main thing he seemed to be trying to teach Clark as far as I could tell was that Clark should always look out for number one. Protecting people? Not as important as protecting yourself. If other people have to die in order for you to keep your secret identity, then let them die. They aren't important. Protecting your own skin, that's the big thing.

Then he passive aggressively kills himself in order to lay the most epic guilt trip of all time on Clark. "Here's my final gift to you, son: The gift of crippling, eternal guilt. You're welcome."

Everyone will have their own interpretation. For you, it was looking out for number one. To me, it was having to suffer through the situation to honor his father's desires, putting sacrifice above personal needs.

Everyone will have their own interpretation. For you, it was looking out for number one. To me, it was having to suffer through the situation to honor his father's desires, putting sacrifice above personal needs.

His father was trying to teach him "just because you can, does not mean that you should". The world was not ready for Clark, and Clark was not ready for the burden. The tornado scene was the final lesson. He taught Clark it's not about you or the individual. It's about what's best for society as a whole.

His father was trying to teach him "just because you can, does not mean that you should". The world was not ready for Clark, and Clark was not ready for the burden. The tornado scene was the final lesson. He taught Clark it's not about you or the individual. It's about what's best for society as a whole.

Hey, we saw the same movie!

(worship):applause:

Hey, we saw the same movie!

(worship):applause:

(thumbs u :applause:

Sorry, but my God this movie sucked! How hard is it for these guys to assemble a panel of Fanboys to consult? It was all over the place. Reminds me of the awful Hulk movie and it's attempt to look like a comic. At the end, my wife turned to me and said, "WTF, why didn't he just snap Zod's neck before all of the carnage"? I couldn't argue. I was okay with Fishburne till I saw the earring. :(. And what brain dead insufficiently_thoughtful_person cast Lois? I hope they didn't get paid! Maybe next time they'll use Brainiac, or The Parasite. No Luthor!

Yeah, I'm not picking a fight, but I thought Amy Adams casting was actually kind of brilliant. Now I always found her adorable since "Catch Me if You Can", but she played her character as a rather plain Jane. She actually wasn't ready for a Superman. They could easily cast a men's magazine covergirl and enjoyed the bonus cover shoot press. But, where Amy lacked in Terri Hatcher sex-bomb appeal, she made up in tenacity, spunk and spirit and that was more appealing to me for her character. Granted, she actually literally fell into the damsel-in-distress plot conventions (TWICE!), but she was a good sport about it. My 2c

I thought Amy Adams was brilliant in her role and filled Margot Kidder's shoes nicely. She was tough, strong, dedicated, spunky and sexy. Tough to capture a lot of nuances like that.

Or maybe I'm just an Amy Adams fan. hm

I agree. Amy Adams did a great job and she is very easy to look at.

+ "I'm with you fellas"

:applause:

I liked Amy Adams as Lois Lane :)

Plus,she actually did investigated reporting in the movie (something past Superman films never did with Lois :screwy: )

Right.

Discipline includes accepting the short end of the stick sometimes when it's handed to you and working for the greater good. The fact that Supe's obedience towards his dad was so strong shows how much he respected him.

It doesn't get more boyscout than that.

I just saw the pilot for Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman a few days ago. Pa Kent had a similar tone with regards to Clark Kent revealing his identity when he saved a man working in the sewer. Clark asked "Should I have left the man die?" (paraphrase) I immediately thought of this movie. It was weird seeing Pa Kent on this TV show with the same attitude as the Pa Kent in the movie.

and in a similar role for Superman, in Dark Knight Returns doesn't he work for the government and works against Batman becuase he's told to, and in Death of the Family he stops Batman getting the Joker when he has diplomatic immunity....the behaviour of Superman in the film is very similar in regards to him taking orders

I watched the film again two nights ago and loved it as well.

I thought the tornado scene was perfectly justified.

The ending, where it showed Pa Kent watching his little boy wearing a red blanket as a cape, brought a tear to my eye as well.

With the family dog running around in the scene it seemed to be a slight homage to the silver age Superboy and Krypto adventures. Really cool.