• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a modern non fight and tight book last?

51 posts in this topic

Methinks Eric doth not like the big two lol

lol

Honestly though, as a man who basically started reading floppies at the age of 41, there is no burning "need" to read what they put out

Marvel and DC put out the vast majority of the great comics ever produced. There are many worth going back and reading. They put out good stuff still today. Batman and Green Arrow are way above average imo. Then there are books like Superior Spider-man and The Wake that are completely fresh and compete with the indie books in the orginality department.

I don't think indie, no cape books are endless. I believe most writers, like novelist, have a predetermined end in mind when they start a book. I don't think you will see any indie in the 400s much less 700. 2c

lol

Honestly though, as a man who basically started reading floppies at the age of 41, there is no burning "need" to read what they put out

yes, entering into a large shared universe is certainly something that makes it difficult to get new readers. part of the reason for all the reboots to retool things to the movies.

and i dont mind the big 2 being trashed :), i am just teasing back. For the record, I think walking dead is lame and un-original, and Saga is perverted and boring :D

:baiting:

lol

yes, entering into a large shared universe is certainly something that makes it difficult to get new readers. part of the reason for all the reboots to retool things to the movies.

and i dont mind the big 2 being trashed :), i am just teasing back. For the record, I think walking dead is lame and un-original, and Saga is perverted and boring :D

:baiting:

:popcorn:

:roflmao:

"Marvel and DC put out the vast majority of the great comics ever produced."

There's no arguing that. But that being said, they are just that, in the past.

As for CBT, im not going to argue with him, simply because i cannot type :)

if we were in person, then i would TRY. lol

:roflmao:

Marvel and DC still put out really good comics and stories. But you have to look for them. The great stuff is not going to be in Avengers or Uncanny X-Men.

I think someone else mentioned it, but Kieron Gillen JIM run a couple of years ago I'd put up against most comics. For story telling and just unique / cool ideas.

I didn't dig it but I know Fraction's Hawkeye got a lot of buzz around here for a while.

Uncanny X-Force 1-18 were great....

I just started reading superior spider-man and for a top 3 title, it's really awesome. Listening to Doc Ock's internal monologue about how much PP stunk as Spider-Man is worth the price of admission. And his ability to figure out the Mary Jane equation was a great moment.

I think it would be kinda interesting if, with absolutely no warning or heads up or solicitation, everyone in The Walking Dead died, and the next issue paved a completely new road for a new cast, perhaps the group that kills off the current cast, or just a group completely new.

If there was a completely new cast, maybe down the road they come into contact with whatever or whomever killed Rick's group. That way it's loosely building a similar shared universe in comparison to fights and tights books. That could prolong the longevity of The Walking Dead.

I think it would be kinda interesting if, with absolutely no warning or heads up or solicitation, everyone in The Walking Dead died, and the next issue paved a completely new road for a new cast, perhaps the group that kills off the current cast, or just a group completely new.

If there was a completely new cast, maybe down the road they come into contact with whatever or whomever killed Rick's group. That way it's loosely building a similar shared universe in comparison to fights and tights books. That could prolong the longevity of The Walking Dead.

hm

In some ways I would hate that but that could be one really great story.

will zombies still be interesting to people in 50 years? that's hard to say, certainly some will always care.

I think for walking dead to get to 700, you'd have to have some form of "new generation" etc.

They have been popular since the 1960's until today. I wouldn't put it past WD to get to at least 300 issues. Which is certainly nothing to sneeze at, how many titles are there that can say even that? (Esp. with "the big two" rebooting & renumbering everything lately.)

;)

-slym

hm

In some ways I would hate that but that could be one really great story.

It would definitely be a bummer. But talking about sheer longevity, I'm not sure how far Kirkman could take the group and still have it feel new and exciting. Neagan is interesting, but could Kirkman do the Governor/Neagan type storyline again and have fans hooked? Who knows. Granted he waited fifty issues after the Governor to introduce Neagan.

It hasnt yet, but I firmly believe yes, it could. 600-700 issues is a long run, At an issue a month with no breaks, you're talking about 58 years of published comics. With that being said, cerebus lasted 300 issues (I think over 25-30 years), I completely expect hellboy to reach the same eventually. As far as 600-700 issues, that would really depend on the health and longevity of the creator/s, or finding a suitable replacement once they get too old to continue.

I do agree with the people who've said that the age of the "big two" having whopping, multiple hundred issue runs on a title is coming to an end. In reality, how many really reached 600+ issues? The only ones I can think of are spiderman, superman, captain america and batman. Most others fizzled out after 400-500 issues. (Uncanny x men, fantastic four, thor, etc)

People nowadays are beggining to expect more from their books, rather than just a re-hashed charecter they read in their childhood. And with the amazing creators we've got publishing creator owned works nowadays (Mignola, B.K. Vaughan, hickman, morrison, ellis, etc.) I would not be suprised at all to see these creators producing quality work for the next 25-30 years.

So long story short, while it hasnt happened yet, I firmly believe that it will.

I think that a lot of it comes down to peoples attention span these days. ANY new title coming out now won't last 400 issues. People just get bored because there's too much choice and there's always something hotter or newer around the corner.

I don't believe the problem is people having short attention spans, so much as Marvel and DC wanting to get the short term sale bump. I think Marvel and DC could have continue publishing their long run titles with the same numbering system and there would have been ups and downs in sales, just like there have always been. I don't think renumbering at 1 has any long term impact, but it does provides a short term bump for a few months. I do believe renumbering could have a negative impact on comic sales however, as it does provide a jump off point for the hardcore fans that stuck with the characters and titles for many, many years. I like to think anecdotally, this is why so many big name titles sell so few copies these days.

As it stands, Archie will have the only legitimate title to pass 1000 issues someday. It's too bad DC couldn't have left Action and Detective Comics continue with the original numbering. Not that the number matters, but the history of a title spanning so many decades was cool. In the 40s, the heroes fought Nazis and Japanese. In the 50s, communists and space aliens. In the 60s, silly stories. :grin: In the 70s, our heroes turned gritty. In the 80s, our gritty heroes started having sex. In the 90s, our heroes battled artists gone wild. In the 2000s, our heroes stood around talking to each other.