• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 23: Doomsday for the Man of Steel

3 posts in this topic

Doomsday is coming!

I have two books I purchased in 2012, books which are a part of my death and return of Superman set. Since I have written multiple times on this subject and due to the fact that these books are not new acquisitions, I find myself hesitant to write yet again on this subject matter. My reasoning for bringing this this up yet again for Day 23 of this journal series is due to the notion or documenting what I'm thinking, feeling and seeing right now. The two books I'll be writing about are Superman: The Man of Steel #17 and 18, and right now, these books are heating up in terms of online sales.

These books are the first appearances of Doomsday, the villain who killed Superman. Cover dated November, 1992, Man of Steel #17 is the first appearance of Doomsday in cameo form, #18 is the first full appearance. The cameo appearance is simply Doomsday's arm pounding through a steel wall on the last page, notating "Doomsday is coming!" The four different Superman titles from November, 1992 (Man of Steel, Superman, Adventures of Superman and Action Comics) featured a teaser page at the end, showing the arm crashing through the steel wall, each issue progressing to Doomsday's freedom, leading to the full entrance of Doomsday in Man of Steel #18.

In December, 2012 I won Man of Steel #17 on eBay for $34.05, I also won #18 for $65.00 in March of that same year. I thought theses were good prices and I enjoyed every penny spent. I have noticed several 9.8 copies of both these issues on eBay over the last few months and the prices have surprised me, #18 has been going for around $150 and four 9.8 copies of #17 simultaneously sold a few days ago on eBay for over $200 each. The $150 plus prices of #18 have been consistent over the last few months, apparently these books have been hot for a while, I never knew, or imagined this to be the case. Concerning the big picture, I'm not too worried about these prices as I have no intention of selling my copies any time soon, when that day comes, prices might cool greatly, either way, I enjoy my copies, regardless of current prices. It is however, a nice feeling knowing that I got my copies without having to pay these current prices. These two books are not exactly pedestal books for my collection but it's good to know they are commanding these prices at the moment. Only time will tell if prices will rise or if they will drop, but as Garth from Wayne's World would say, "Live in the now!"

I like the cover to #17, the effect of the green-yellow shading in the background is pleasing to the eye, emphasizing Superman's struggle with the various beings. I like the cover to #18 as it shows the mysterious villain shrouded in celadon green and various cables, breaking free from the depths of the earth, shattering the title logo in the process. Doomsday is coming!

Brandon

14740.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd