• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need advice on First Archie

15 posts in this topic

I have the original Archie comics #1 (winter 1942). It's been in my family for 40 years now but it's not in the best shape. I was advised to get it graded by cgc so I signed up and was about to send it off. Then after looking at the book closer I noticed some of the middle pages are missing. My question is.... Should I still try to get it graded or is it not worth it? Also is the book still worth decent amount of money since I believe it is rare? I am interested in selling it and I'm not an expert on the subject so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have the original Archie comics #1 (winter 1942). It's been in my family for 40 years now but it's not in the best shape. I was advised to get it graded by cgc so I signed up and was about to send it off. Then after looking at the book closer I noticed some of the middle pages are missing. My question is.... Should I still try to get it graded or is it not worth it? Also is the book still worth decent amount of money since I believe it is rare? I am interested in selling it and I'm not an expert on the subject so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

It's valuable in any shape. I'd probably pass on slabbing it though. Little point. Do your best to grade it, elaborate on all the flaws, and make sure you denote the missing pages. It'll sell, trust me. Can't give you a ballpark value without more info and pics.

I'm not the best judge of a comics quality at all. Especially one that is 70 years old, it definitely shows age.

I do not have any pics or scans of it now. I just started looking into this project yesterday. If its worth something I'll put more effort in.

All the other pages are there, it's missing 3 center wraps, page numbers jump from 28-41.

I'm not the best judge of a comics quality at all. Especially one that is 70 years old, it definitely shows age.

I do not have any pics or scans of it now. I just started looking into this project yesterday. If its worth something I'll put more effort in.

All the other pages are there, it's missing 3 center wraps, page numbers jump from 28-41.

Well, you're already ahead of the game just by knowing that info. Send me some pics via PM or email and I can help you with general grading so that you can competently list it on Ebay. Since you're looking to move it sooner rather than later, I don't see how getting it slabbed would help. There are plenty of resources available to help you list it in an honest, respectable fashion without the added cost of a slab. It will sell well on Ebay and net you a nice little profit.

To be honest...Lauren's appearance was one of the highlights of that show. Anyone who doesn't know what Pep 22 is does not deserve to be running a comic shop.

They even pointed out on one of their blogs that GA books, especially Archie, is out of their scope. Fair enough, but I feel Pep 22 is you know...kind of an important book.

To be honest...Lauren's appearance was one of the highlights of that show. Anyone who doesn't know what Pep 22 is does not deserve to be running a comic shop.

They even pointed out on one of their blogs that GA books, especially Archie, is out of their scope. Fair enough, but I feel Pep 22 is you know...kind of an important book.

I think it would surprise and even shock folks the amount of "experienced" sh collectors and even more than one dealer that has no clue about pep 22 :o

(thumbs u

I think it would surprise and even shock folks the amount of "experienced" sh collectors and even more than one dealer that has no clue about pep 22 :o

Yea, honestly that wasn't the first time I had to explain Pep 22 to comic book dealers/shops/fans.