• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin 2013 Report

84 posts in this topic

I just got home, and it was another great show. Luckily the drive back wasn't nearly as treacherous as the drive in, though I did take the long way up 35 to 20 to avoid driving the back roads of the Hill Country to get home; which may have helped as that area was supposed to get hit today.

This is what the road looked like for the first 4 or so hours of the trip to Austin on Friday. Freezing rain and a sheet of ice coating the road. It was lovely. Luckily this ended south of Abilene, but not after it added a lot of extra time to the drive in.

Road.jpg

I took a lot of pics this time around, but haven't, and won't, have time to edit them all for this report. I'll get in some high points.

As far as books, I picked up nice copies of Tales of Suspense #10 and Strange Tales #94 from Bedrock, and a first edition (with bibliography intact) of Seduction of the Innocent from Black Cat. Those were the main pickups, with a few other odds and ends. Eventually I'll post pics/scans of those items either here or elsewhere.

Another highlight was getting a series of sketches on issues of Manhattan Projects by Nick Pitarra. I spent about a half an hour watching him sketch these, and he is incredibly cool and gracious with his time for fans. I even got to try on the Masonic headgear.

MasonicPitarra.jpg

PitarraSketches.jpg

The con was expanded considerably this year, and took over the whole convention center. There were plenty of good books to be had, and it was great to see some larger setups this year. Hopefully everyone did well, so there will be even more comics in the room next year.

Here is Black Cat & Funny Books' shared booth

BCWP.jpg

Bedrock Comics (manned by boardie c-mack)

Bedrock.jpg

Bob Storms (I'm still thinking about a book of his I looked at...)

Storms.jpg

And Neal Adams had a gigantic booth.

NealAdams.jpg

The crowd was gigantic on Saturday. Here is a random lobby shot at about Noon on Saturday when we were headed to the hotel to drop some stuff off. This was two hours after the show opened!

Crowd.jpg

Of course, I'm sure plenty of those people were there to get their hair done at the Paul Mitchell school booth.

PaulMitchell.jpg

Some shots of the celebs, at least from the areas I went (mostly to help my brother get his Walking Dead poster signed):

Laurie Holden

Holden.jpg

Michael Rooker

Rooker.jpg

Chandler Riggs

Riggs.jpg

And as close as I got to Stan Lee's line. You can barely see him to the right of the yellow-shirted volunteer.

StanLee.jpg

Here are a few of the better costumes I was able to take pics of (some blurry).

Poison Ivy (my pic doesn't do her justice, she was really cute)

PoisonIvy.jpg

Catwoman and Batgirl

CatwomanBatgirl.jpg

A fantastic Dr. Doom in mostly real armor

DrDoom.jpg

And, last but not least, one of the Walking Dead con exclusives that is no longer a 9.8. And you saw quite a few of these books being handled not much better than this guy was treating his...

WD.jpg

If I have more time later I may try to get a few more pics posted, but I'm pretty wiped out after the 7.5 hour drive back. WW Austin has become a highlight of my yearly show circuit, and I'm already looking forward to 2014!

And, last but not least, one of the Walking Dead con exclusives that is no longer a 9.8. And you saw quite a few of these books being handled not much better than this guy was treating his...

WD.jpg

If I have more time later I may try to get a few more pics posted, but I'm pretty wiped out after the 7.5 hour drive back. WW Austin has become a highlight of my yearly show circuit, and I'm already looking forward to 2014!

After seeing this, I don't think I'll be sniffing the paper on any back issues anymore. :sick:

I got a pic of Dr. Doom too. Definately one of the top 5 costumes there if not the best. Also, did anyone see the guy in that black suit that had moving wings? He was in the lobby and a lot of people were taking pictures of him. Not sure what he was supposed to be but that costume was really cool.

I really wish I would have made it. . . between the weather (and I'm from Michigan, so I've driven in that horrible stuff) and my dog (no dogsitter AND she had an upset stomach), combined with an inability to get to any roller coasters this weekend, I just felt like it would be better to wait.

Yeah, I'm from Chicago originally and the roads were the worst I've seen in a while. Lots of people were in ditches.

I saw that guy with the wings, I also don't know what he was supposed to be but be did look cool.