• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin 2013 Report

84 posts in this topic

This was the first con I've been to where I had an actual game plan and budget, and I have to say it was an amazing weekend. Went to panels with Stan Lee, Bill Shatner and Dennis O'Neil, got some great deals on key books I've been looking for and coveting for a long time, and took my kids on the last day for light saber duels and face painting.

And I have to give props to the boardies here! All the time I've invested reading, listening and learning here, just absorbing a vast amount of good, useable hobby knowledge from everyone, made my weekend that much more enjoyable and worthwhile. :applause:

What an awesome experience. Planning on it again next year!

[font:Book Antiqua]

Chandler Riggs

Riggs.jpg

[/img]

I am guessing at some point they have to kill him in the TV show

He is growing too fast.

The time frame for the show is 1 year or less

since the Zombie apocalypse...

[/font]

2c

Amazing show, just perfectly organized. Can't wait for 2014.

I'm not sure we were at the same show..... People waiting in line for hours just to get wristbands, then waiting in another line to get in. Aisles were way over cramped. For a "comic con" the ratio of comic booths to non comic booths was about 1-9. I found the staff was somewhat combative. I didn't purchase any vip's so I didn't get the VIP treatment. When we had simple questions about why chandler Riggs was WAY late, the "black shirt" wizard employee got in a normal non VIP's face and was basically a spoon. Comic conventions used to be a place to look for comics, not comic t-shirts, comic backpacks, contact lenses, hairstyling, and leather goods. Wish these could focus on comics. Seems the majority of attendees don't even know what a comic is. I guess this is my "get off my lawn" moment, but I get a little more disappointed with each wizard show I attend.

I heard good stuff from staff and photo op company. I had a great time because I'm friends with one of the guys from Celeb Photo Ops and pretty much he hooked me up with tons of guys. Let's say I just did a 6 min wait for Norman Reedus and I got to the front of all the photo ops. Some volunteers were like "What the heck is this guy doing" and they would ask me what I was doing and I only had to ask for a staff member and problem solved. The photo op crew are REALLY, EXTREMELY FRIENDLY and nice people and the Wizard staff is always friendly.

BTW the convention center loved Saturday, apparently they made LOTS of money. I know for sure my friend told me they did 3400 photo ops on Friday+Saturday. Austin was a fantastic city for Wizard this year and they are getting ready for next year.

We had a GREAT show! and it was really cool to meet some of you guys/gals off the forum

but I am glad to be back in Houston lol

It was great to meet you, glad you made it back to Houston with all the nasty weather around that area.

And, last but not least, one of the Walking Dead con exclusives that is no longer a 9.8. And you saw quite a few of these books being handled not much better than this guy was treating his...

WD.jpg

If I have more time later I may try to get a few more pics posted, but I'm pretty wiped out after the 7.5 hour drive back. WW Austin has become a highlight of my yearly show circuit, and I'm already looking forward to 2014!

After seeing this, I don't think I'll be sniffing the paper on any back issues anymore. :sick:

..... it sure gives new meaning to the term "back issue" :roflmao: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

And, last but not least, one of the Walking Dead con exclusives that is no longer a 9.8. And you saw quite a few of these books being handled not much better than this guy was treating his...

WD.jpg

If I have more time later I may try to get a few more pics posted, but I'm pretty wiped out after the 7.5 hour drive back. WW Austin has become a highlight of my yearly show circuit, and I'm already looking forward to 2014!

I was buying from people all weekend, I can't remember if this was the same person that saw my sign and pulled it from his rear end and said " you want to buy mine?" needless to say I didn't need to touch that one.

WD.jpg

I was buying from people all weekend, I can't remember if this was the same person that saw my sign and pulled it from his rear end and said " you want to buy mine?" needless to say I didn't need to touch that one.

lol

This was an extreme example of mistreatment, but we saw plenty of them rolled up, or folded over and jammed into pockets, etc.

WD.jpg

lol

This was an extreme example of mistreatment, but we saw plenty of them rolled up, or folded over and jammed into pockets, etc.

No bag - no board - heathen!

Some shots of the celebs, at least from the areas I went (mostly to help my brother get his Walking Dead poster signed):

Laurie Holden

Holden.jpg

Michael Rooker

Rooker.jpg

Chandler Riggs

Riggs.jpg

And as close as I got to Stan Lee's line. You can barely see him to the right of the yellow-shirted volunteer.

StanLee.jpg

Laurie Holden is AWESOME! I sure wish they kept her on the Walking Dead! She is a very good actress and of course very HOT!

Some shots of the celebs, at least from the areas I went (mostly to help my brother get his Walking Dead poster signed):

Laurie Holden

Holden.jpg

Michael Rooker

Rooker.jpg

Chandler Riggs

Riggs.jpg

And as close as I got to Stan Lee's line. You can barely see him to the right of the yellow-shirted volunteer.

StanLee.jpg

Laurie Holden is AWESOME! I sure wish they kept her on the Walking Dead! She is a very good actress and of course very HOT!

Holden did look good despite not really getting very made up for her Friday signing (not sure what she did the rest of the weekend). Lori (Sarah Callies), on the other hand, looked gorgeous. I think Michael Rooker wore the same outfit all weekend, definitely the same hat and shades with black shirt and jeans.