• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 24: Book of the Day!

3 posts in this topic

Something different!

Why not write about something different for a change? I asked myself this question earlier today, as I was thinking of what to write for Day 24, the only thing I could come up with was to write about some of the other books in my collection, specifically the ones that are set apart from my usual collecting habits. I thought about a group shot of the handful of random books I have, then I thought why not just pick one of those books and write it up.

My book of the day, if you will, is Red Sonja #4 (July 1977). I purchased this beauty in early 2009 from Reynold Jay's Back Issue Comix off eBay. This was my first Red Sonja example from the Marvel series; I only have this and issue #12 currently. At the time, there were rumors of a Red Sonja movie to be directed by Robert Rodriguez and to star Rose McGowan. I was also interested in Conan at the time (I'm still interested) and was considering starting a collection of Conan books. I came across the Red Sonja series from Marvel, I was also noticing the early issues from Dynamite (and the multiple covers for each issue).

With a desire to try something new, something other than superhero or DC, I noticed Red Sonja #4 on Reynold Jay's eBay page. Tempted by the sword and sorcery of the Marvel Bronze age, I purchased the #4. I wrote recently about toying with the idea of scaling down my collection, removing such books that were outside my main focus, should I ever do such a thing, I think I'll make an exception for this Red Sonja issue. Perhaps the sword and sorcery genera will cast another spell on me in the future, for now I'm immune to such temptations, for now... I leave Day 24 on this note and let the cover art for Red Sonja #4 speak for itself.

Brandon

14745.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

That's a very nice book! The cover kicks !

The first Red Sonja tale I ever read was her origin story, "The Day of the Sword", written by Roy Thomas and drawn by Giordano, which appeared, coincidentally, in the first Conan comic I ever bought: Savage Sword of Conan 78. That purchase was prompted by two things: The soon to be released Conan movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the stunning cover by master painter Earl Norem.

I instantly fell in love Savage Sword of Conan. The truly great thing about Marvel's black & white magazines was that they were published sans comics code approved seal, which meant Marvel could print adult-oriented material. Which it did. Nudity, gore and violence, and a bevy of scantily-clad women!

From Wikipedia: "The origin story for Red Sonja, "The Day of the Sword", first appeared in Kull and the Barbarians #3 (September 1975) by Roy Thomas, Doug Moench, and Howard Chaykin, and was later redrawn by Giordano and Terry Austin for The Savage Sword of Conan, issue 78 (July 1982)."

From what I remember of SSOC 78, Red Sonja's origin was a bit brutal. It's a flashback story and dealt with the pillage and plunder of Sonja's village when Sonja was just a teenager. During this attack on her village, Sonja is raped at the hands of a ruthless merc. Left for dead, Red Sonja pleas to her Goddess, and makes a promise that no man will ever touch her lest he defeats her in battle. From that point on, Red Sonja becomes a savage warrior on a crusade for revenge, never losing a sword fight to any man. Her reputation as a skilled swordswoman and a killer of men wins her the title "She-Devil with a Sword".

Angela and Witchblade owe a nod to Red Sonja. In my opinion, Sonja's influence on those two characters is unquestionable.

Do you remember the Marvel Team-Up when Spiderman's girlfriend, Mary Jane Watson, is possessed by the spirit of Red Sonja? This is lifted from MyComicsShop: "Sword of the She-Devil" Guest-starring Spider-Man and Red Sonja. Plot and -script by Chris Claremont. Plot and Pencils by John Byrne. Inks by Terry Austin. Cover by John Byrne and Terry Austin. An emergency situation is developing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art! The Daily Bugle dispatches Peter Parker and a reporter to the site, but someone else sneaks along...Mary Jane Watson! The web-slinger quickly enters the museum and is attacked by grotesque monsters! Mary Jane rushes inside to help the struggling wall-crawler, but what can she do? How about grab the ancient sword of Red Sonja! And in a dazzling transformation...Mary Jane Watson becomes Red Sonja! Now the Amazing Spider-Man and the She-Devil with a Sword team up against the evil sorcerer Kulan Gath! Will New York City survive...and Ms. Watson too? An excellent story! Cameo appearance by Clark Kent on page 3. (Notes: This is a key appearance of Mary Jane Watson during the time period (between 1979 and 1983) when she rarely appeared in any of the Spider-Man titles. Kulan Gath appears next in Uncanny X-men 190. This is the final issue of the Claremont-Byrne run on the Marvel Team-Up title. This issue was reprinted in Marvel Tales 208.) 32 pages Cover price $0.35."

Cool stuff, huh? Love the Clark Kent cameo.

I remember Clark Kent and Lois Lane having a cameo in Thor 341. See for yourself: http://ifanboy.com/articles/great-moments-in-comics-history-thor-341/

But apparently, CK's been in and out of Marvel comics for quite some time. See for yourself and others:

http://io9.com/5872936/10-weird-times-marvel-and-dc-unofficially-crossed-over

SW3D

I looked up the covers for SSOC #78 and K and the Barbarians #3, pretty sweet! I like the snow giant on #78. I saw a large stack of these at a local show last month, I should have picked them up! SSOC is a title I would like to have some high grade examples of, I also wouldn't mind just having a collection of them to read, to be able to feel and enjoy that old paper smell. I have the first two volumes for SSOC reprinted from Dark Horse, I've been meaning to get the other volumes.

The Marvel Team-Up #79 has always been a tempting book, such a cross over seemed unfeasible util I read the summary. Nice list list of Clark Kent cameos in the Marvel universe, there is also a Kent and Lane cameo in X-Men #99, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby also have cameos in this issue!