• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

I just want to genuinely get a sense of people WHO KNOW, whether or not they would "risk" pressing books for their own collection, that they think could 9.9 without a press. Cause I have a bunch, and I am trying to decide which way to go.

This is my point. The only people who would have a sample size big enough to trust their opinion upon would be the pros and semi-pros. And Ketterer. But he has to be thinking about giving up the practice and going into comics full time.

Anyone else just gets their 9.9s and 10s, or doesn't, and trundles along. I have subbed three 9.9s and one 10. All unpressed. Two 9.9 came direct from the creator (CPG), the third was a Fallen Son blank and the 10 was a squarebound - Batman: The Cult #1.

Only the guys with mass subs would have an opinion that would reach statistical relevance. Everyone else would just be giving an opinion based upon their impression of the value of pressing.

Thought of this thread today...

Got 2 WD 9.9s (Andrew Lincoln signed) and everything else was 9.8

Thought I had a shot at 9.9 on the Midnight Sketch and it hit, but the other book I hadn't thought either way. Just that I knew it was a 9.8.

Bottom line for me, always shooting for 9.8 and happily will take them all day versus hoping a 9.9 makes it's way in. Or in other words...

I would rather have all 9.8s if it meant no 9.6s OR 9.9s/10s

(Does that make sense?)

Did you press any?

You are CGC's poster child customer.

apparently my thread is the "Comics General" of the modern boards :acclaim:

I can't believe this thread got as much action as it did. It was a great read.

I do think it is funny that anyone thinks that guys who either make their living or make a big chunk of their living subbing and selling moderns are going to tell anyone anything worthwhile about how they do it.

I have been approached by a dozen people over the years who asked me to show them what I do. I walked them through every stage, monitored shipments and set up sales. Not one gets it. Not one. It's as easy as mowing the lawn but not one got it. My fave line from one guy was "I could never trust the internet or the Post Office". He was 30 at the time. His future doesn't look so bright. lol

This is my point. The only people who would have a sample size big enough to trust their opinion upon would be the pros and semi-pros. And Ketterer. But he has to be thinking about giving up the practice and going into comics full time.

Anyone else just gets their 9.9s and 10s, or doesn't, and trundles along. I have subbed three 9.9s and one 10. All unpressed. Two 9.9 came direct from the creator (CPG), the third was a Fallen Son blank and the 10 was a squarebound - Batman: The Cult #1.

Only the guys with mass subs would have an opinion that would reach statistical relevance. Everyone else would just be giving an opinion based upon their impression of the value of pressing.

I can agree with that, which is why i do appreciate them weighing in. Which is why I was hoping JJ would post his thoughts on the original question. (though its nice to have his opinion on what the thread descended too as well). Obviously the people I respect and look up to as submitters are going to have more sway on what I end up doing.

But, one of my biggest pet peeves is any form of forum elitism. I dont mean on this forum, on any forum in general, its like waving a red flag in front of a bull to me. That's why I stay out of Comics General, I'd end up getting myself banned in five minutes flat, bullying the bullies.

I welcome everyone's opinion, even if some are more expert than others. The second half of the point of this thread was to try to clear out some of the tumbleweeds and cobwebs on this forum and getting some active discussions. I definitely wasnt trying to start a debate on WHAT a 9.9 is....

I think I am going to cut a deal with my LCS to get pick of the litter. If they agree I will start to keep track of what I submit and run my own poll. I would have MY grade and then the actual. This was a damn good thread and it has me thinking of some ideas.

Bully the bullies. lol

Running someone in endless circles isn't bullying to me. ;)

Jeff.....I haven't said anything referring to you, about you, or even slightly directed at you that could trigger a debate between us. I appreciate your contribution to the thread's view count, but I am definitely NOT going to join the fight club.

I am a much more mello CBT then pre-summer away.

I can agree with that, which is why i do appreciate them weighing in. Which is why I was hoping JJ would post his thoughts on the original question. (though its nice to have his opinion on what the thread descended too as well). Obviously the people I respect and look up to as submitters are going to have more sway on what I end up doing.

But, one of my biggest pet peeves is any form of forum elitism. I dont mean on this forum, on any forum in general, its like waving a red flag in front of a bull to me. That's why I stay out of Comics General, I'd end up getting myself banned in five minutes flat, bullying the bullies.

I welcome everyone's opinion, even if some are more expert than others. The second half of the point of this thread was to try to clear out some of the tumbleweeds and cobwebs on this forum and getting some active discussions. I definitely wasnt trying to start a debate on WHAT a 9.9 is....

This thread has been more entertaining than any 9.9-10 thread I can recall. That in and of itself is EPIC WIN.

I think I am going to cut a deal with my LCS to get pick of the litter. If they agree I will start to keep track of what I submit and run my own poll. I would have MY grade and then the actual. This was a damn good thread and it has me thinking of some ideas.

you dont have that already?

Bully the bullies. lol

Running someone in endless circles isn't bullying to me. ;)

Jeff.....I haven't said anything referring to you, about you, or even slightly directed at you that could trigger a debate between us. I appreciate your contribution to the thread's view count, but I am definitely NOT going to join the fight club.

I am a much more mello CBT then pre-summer away.

lol

Hilarious

I'll take them either way, but when you collect stuff that hardly anyone else does, sometimes you gotta do your own subbing cause no one else is doing it...

Yeah, that makes sense.

I just wouldn't have the skill, time, nor the connections, to be able to go through stacks of books trying to find 9.8+s.

I'll take them either way, but when you collect stuff that hardly anyone else does, sometimes you gotta do your own subbing cause no one else is doing it...

Yeah, that makes sense.

I just wouldn't have the skill, time, nor the connections, to be able to go through stacks of books trying to find 9.8+s.

That's the upside to collecting something other people dont, more places that have stock to be bought out, or looked through...

double edged sword :)

but I am definitely NOT going to join the fight club.

Of course not, you broken RULE ONE and TWO

fight-club-rules.jpg

And (again) to answer the OP question: No, I would never press a book I thought was 9.9 or 10.0.

Definitely a 9.9 candidate . . . :grin:

anyway, now that everyone is getting along and being nice again....

Anyone ever see a 9.9 of a White covered book that has any ink marks of any kind, or is that an automatic deal breaker. Feel free to post high res 9.9 scans of white covered books. ( obviously i dont mean smudges, but little color specks, think Revival Sketch etc)

:)