• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

of 9.9s and such

345 posts in this topic

This always sounds like a good bet to me. Anyone who thinks they have the skill we'll meet at a con, you pick 30 9.9/10.0's and submit them under my account. I'll pay $100 per 9.9/10.0 and the skill guy pays me $100 per every 9.8.

Any takers?

This make no sense at all. you can go through all 100 books (LTD) or 500 or 1000, there is not a single book higher than 9.8 due to printing and handling. 9.9 10 are much much less.

So far I submitted 112 books myself. got 5 9.9 back, 4 of them I knew before they were submitted. 1 was pleasant surprise, I thought it was a 9.8.

when you guys take less than a minute exam the book, 9.9 and higher is a shot.

hi guys, I've been busy with work so only got back to this thread now. For the record and anyone who might not know, Jeff and DRE are two guys I buy books from, have much respect for.

I know threads on 9.9 usually tend to get firey, and I definitely don't want to start arguments. As far as my grading skills go, I think I am pretty good/confident in my ability to identify books which WONT be 9.9+.

I have a handful of books I havent subbed, which I think have a chance of being 9.9s, very clean copies mostly for my personal collection. I am trying to decide if should press sub, or natural sub them. I have no doubt they will be 9.8s sent as is....

To Jeff and DRE, if maybe I can ask my question another way. If either of you had really clean books for your own collection, would you ever considering pressing them, or just sub them natural?

I would like to say if you need to press a book, it most likely won't be a 9.9

ok, which i agree with and said in my OP. But my point is, you have a bunch of books that you think are 9.9, press them or dont bother? in theory pressing shouldnt hurt a 9.9, that's already a 9.9... but does it?

:popcorn:

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

Albert Einstein

They've been doing that in Quantum Mechanics since the late 70s, that's why science doesnt advance any more ;)

This always sounds like a good bet to me. Anyone who thinks they have the skill we'll meet at a con, you pick 30 9.9/10.0's and submit them under my account. I'll pay $100 per 9.9/10.0 and the skill guy pays me $100 per every 9.8.

Any takers?

This make no sense at all. you can go through all 100 books (LTD) or 500 or 1000, there is not a single book higher than 9.8 due to printing and handling. 9.9 10 are much much less.

So far I submitted 112 books myself. got 5 9.9 back, 4 of them I knew before they were submitted. 1 was pleasant surprise, I thought it was a 9.8.

Do you see any limitations other than "at a con"? When someone finds 30 books they believe to be 9.9/10.0 then we would submit them. The idea is not to limit the amount of books to choose from. Both people that commented that it makes no sense made certain assumptions. It also does not have to be 30 of the same book.

The "bet" is simply to submit 30 books that are believed to be 9.9/10.0 and measure the results vs CGC grading. I thought I was being nice saying 9.9/10.0 as opposed to identifying which are 9.9 and which are 10.0.

Any takers?

Do you see any limitations other than "at a con"? When someone finds 30 books they believe to be 9.9/10.0 then we would submit them. The idea is not to limit the amount of books to choose from. Both people that commented that it makes no sense made certain assumptions. It also does not have to be 30 of the same book.

The "bet" is simply to submit 30 books that are believed to be 9.9/10.0 and measure the results vs CGC grading. I thought I was being nice saying 9.9/10.0 as opposed to identifying which are 9.9 and which are 10.0.

You'd lose that bet and lose your shirt on it.

No, he can't. Nobody can. CGC themselves can't do it.

Keep in mind that any claims to be able to spot a 9.9/10.0 is making a false claim. Dre has a great eye and experience. The OP referred to bulk submissions. Anyone who is good at determining high grade books tends to have a large amount of experience. The "bulk" is not in the submissions but in the number of books they have examined, submitted and compared to others.

+1 i sub a lot and get 9.9's and they look no different than 9.8's. i tend to think cgc gives those as bonuses.

ok, which i agree with and said in my OP. But my point is, you have a bunch of books that you think are 9.9, press them or dont bother? in theory pressing shouldnt hurt a 9.9, that's already a 9.9... but does it?

Black covers or solid dark covers could be hurt with a press. I mean it depends on the paper quality. If I think its a 9.9 natural then I would go for it and skip the press.

For a reason. ;)

Wonder why? hm

(slight boat rocking)

Why? Because CGC would lose out on alot of missed grading fees if they allowed people to prescreen at 9.9 or 10.0.

A HG stack of 10 books may equal 9 9.8s and 1 10.0 in a submission but if CGC allowed a prescreen of 9.9 and higher then they missed out the grading fees for 9 books in that submission. Allowing up to a 9.8 prescreen is a business decision because 9.8s is a 'commonly found' grade (relatively speaking) for new book submissions. CGC makes way more money this way by default even if a submitter was only looking 9.9s and 10.0s.

I submit very irregularily, but when I do, I'm very confident in finding the 9.8 candidates and those candidates that can hit 9.9 and 10. Square bound books still confound me though....

this would be an awesome contest, but I would lose lol

In my lifetime I have only landed around 10 9.9's and zero 10.0's

IMHO, it's a matter of

(1) Skill of the original submitter/grader to submit the best of the best copies

(2) Availability to quantity of books in order to find the best of the best copies

(3) The perceptions of three independent graders

(4) Magic sauce lol

Joking aside, it is a mix of skill and randomness. You have to have the skills to find the best of the best, but you also have to have access to quantity of books to find them. Lastly, three people have to agree with you.

I know this is taboo (and goes against the skill argument), but volume of submissions helps as well. If you sub 10 books, the 'odds' of 1 of them being a 9.9 or 10.0 is very low (I know, I know... but a skilled person can find them... but I'm speaking in terms of statistics). However, if you sub 100 or 1000 books, the odds change (I know, I know... the books stay the same grade in both cases, but grading is subjective, not an exact science).

If robots were grading with an electron microscope, the "randomness" and "human factor" would go away and you would decrease the likihood for errors, but it still would not be perfect (but maybe 99.99999999% correct lol )

To answer the OP... I would never press a book I thought was a 9.9 or 10.0

No, he can't. Nobody can. CGC themselves can't do it.

Keep in mind that any claims to be able to spot a 9.9/10.0 is making a false claim. Dre has a great eye and experience. The OP referred to bulk submissions. Anyone who is good at determining high grade books tends to have a large amount of experience. The "bulk" is not in the submissions but in the number of books they have examined, submitted and compared to others.

+1 i sub a lot and get 9.9's and they look no different than 9.8's. i tend to think cgc gives those as bonuses.

But are you just checking them through the thick plastic case or are you breaking them out? Slight imperfections at this grade level aren't always apparent through the case and that's why so many people want to say that 9.8s, 9.9s and 10s all look the same!

Any takers?

It's sounding more and more like a bet. :baiting:

Any takers?

It's sounding more and more like a bet. :baiting:

Throwing in the grading fees as well?