• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC holder's UV blocking capabilities

15 posts in this topic

Anyone have any data on the UV blocking capabilities of CGC holders? I know that E Gerber states that their mylar blocks 99% of incoming UV light. I don't know exactly what materials the inner and/or outer wells of the CGC holder are made of, or how they do at blocking UV light. I have some graded books on display. The room has no windows and only incandescent lights with UV filters over them, which are usually off or dimmed, but I want to take every possible precaution to prevent/delay fading. I tried putting the graded books in legal sized Mylite2's, but they caused unsightly glare and just didn't display as nicely as the unbagged slabs.

Anyone have any data on the UV blocking capabilities of CGC holders? I know that E Gerber states that their mylar blocks 99% of incoming UV light. I don't know exactly what materials the inner and/or outer wells of the CGC holder are made of, or how they do at blocking UV light. I have some graded books on display. The room has no windows and only incandescent lights with UV filters over them, which are usually off or dimmed, but I want to take every possible precaution to prevent/delay fading. I tried putting the graded books in legal sized Mylite2's, but they caused unsightly glare and just didn't display as nicely as the unbagged slabs.

Here's what you do.Take a scan of your book,and frame that.No worries about fading the book,and you still get to display it.

Here's what you do.Take a scan of your book,and frame that.No worries about fading the book,and you still get to display it.

Ya, not really the same. I was under the impression that pretty much all plastics filtered some amount of light in the UV spectrum. Either way, with how dark the room usually is and the other steps I've already taken, I think I'll be ok...especially if I rotate the displayed books regularly.

Ya, not really the same. I was under the impression that pretty much all plastics filtered some amount of light in the UV spectrum. Either way, with how dark the room usually is and the other steps I've already taken, I think I'll be ok...especially if I rotate the displayed books regularly.

Then why did you even bring this up? Kenny you are krazy. :insane:

Then why did you even bring this up? Kenny you are krazy. :insane:

Just curious if any hard data existed.

Depending on the room you are displaying your books in, you could get some UV filtering film for the windows. I made my girlfriend put up UV protection film in the office, since she likes sunlight:p However, there is only one window in the office, so it did not affect aesthetics all that much of that room. That may help your situation.