• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 25: Roxanne is Walking on the Moon

10 posts in this topic

We are spirits in the material word...

The 30 in 30 series is winding down, I've covered some different ground on this series and I'm still searching for new topics to write about. On a whim, I thought I would search for any possible comics book connections to one of my favorite bands, a band called the Police, a power trio whose heyday was in the late '70s and early '80s. I was not holding my breath in anticipation of any amazing discoveries, I knew this would be a long shot in the dark. When I think of comics and music tie-ins, I think of the Kiss comics from the '70s, and how blood from the band members was mixed in with the ink used to print these comics...

The Police did no such thing, at least not that I'm aware of. When I searched out Police Comics I came across a bunch of Plastic Man covers from the 1940s. I did however recently only learn of Hellblazer (John Constantine) and his visual similarity to Sting, one third of the Police. When I searched out Hellblazer images online I saw the resemblance between the two, to see this you do have to search out photos of Sting from the early '80s.

I may not have found any comic appearances or cameos of the band but it was cool finding various images of Hellblazer from a few Swamp Thing comics. I do recall seeing a picture of Police drummer Stewart Copeland in a studio of his, with a framed copy of a Red Sonja comic from the '70s in the background, this was probably a reference to his then wife, vocalist Sonja Kristina. Again, no major discoveries here but it was worth a look. See you tomorrow.

14751.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Sting does appear in the comic book adaptation of Dune in Marvel Super Special Magazine.

I don't know if you are aware, but there's talk of a Constantine TV Series being developed for NBC. If it happens, expect interest in Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 to spike.

SW3D

Sting does appear in the comic book adaptation of Dune in Marvel Super Special Magazine.

I don't know if you are aware, but there's talk of a Constantine TV Series being developed for NBC. If it happens, expect interest in Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 to spike.

SW3D

Sounds good to me, I have an extra SotST 37 in 9.0 I'd like to move along.

In other Sting/Constantine news, there is a figure in a crowd scene in Saga of the Swamp Thing 25 who was intended originally to be an Easter Egg of Sting, but a year later they introduced John Constantine, who also was designed after Sting, and that made the appearance in SotST 25 a kind of retroactive cameo of JC.

Thanks for reminding me of JC's cameo in SOST 25... it's nice to see others are aware of it as well. It's kinda a forgotten key. Sadly, I don't own a single issue. :( But nearly 10 years ago I bought all the collected TPB's of SOST. It is undoubtedly a high-point in comic book history.

There's also talk of Guillermo Del Toro working on Justice League Dark. I've seen a video interview with the director and he espouses his love for Swamp Thing, talks about Constantine, Deadman, and the Demon. If anyone could pull this off, Del Toro has the vision and talent to do so. Let's keep our fingers crossed it happens!

SW3D

Amen to that brother! I envy you... for if you buy those collected volumes, you will immerse yourself in a world so different than DC's prime universe... a Vertigo world governed by the genius of Alan Moore!... you may never look at comics the same way again.

SW3D

I just pulled out a little TPB called Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? This reprints the classic Superman #423 and Action Comics #583, cover dated September, 1986. This version also reprints Superman Annual #11 and DC Comics Presents #85, all written by Alan Moore. "The Jungle Line" from DC Comics Presents #85 features Swamp Thing. I just finished the Swamp Thing story, I cannot believe I had forgotten about this (I purchased the trade three years ago!), I can now say I'm excited for some new reading material in Swamp Thing.

Check out the summary form Comicvine if you're not familiar with the issue.

http://www.comicvine.com/dc-comics-presents-85-the-jungle-line/4000-25835/

I am familiar with the issue... it's a classic. I read it in the collected volume: DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. You should get that book if you can. It covers all of Alan Moore's work for DC save Saga of the Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and Watchmen.

SW3D

In other Sting/Constantine news, there is a figure in a crowd scene in Saga of the Swamp Thing 25 who was intended originally to be an Easter Egg of Sting, but a year later they introduced John Constantine, who also was designed after Sting, and that made the appearance in SotST 25 a kind of retroactive cameo of JC.

I did a search for Saga of the Swamp Thing #25 Sting cameo, I think the cameo looks more like Police guitarist Andy Summers than Sting if you ask me.

1459978_686570396081_1317073122_n.jpgi