• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another "should I crack it" question...

11 posts in this topic

Hi all! I just got a purchase through eBay, and I'm looking for some opinions... I had a similar thread about a River City pedigree book, but this is a bit different.

Mitzi's Boyfriend #3, CGC 6.5 from the Davis Crippen collection.

Crack or not?

I bought it to crack it out and read, but now I have the fear...I don't want to have it "ruin" the book. I gotta stop buying anything to do with pedigrees! Too much stress!!! :ohnoez:

Thanks!

James

If you want to crack it out to read do it. Just keep the CGC label with the book so the pedigree will always be known. And if you re-submit the book to CGC later have the label with the book so the new label will have the pedigree name on it.

If its about the Pedigree, why didnt you look for a non-Pedigree copy?

I never cracked out a book out but I dont think its a "dangerous" process. :)

No not a problem you just have to be careful doing it. Mainly cutting the plastic open in the inner well. I've done it with 9.8 books before. Just take your time doing it and no rushing. (thumbs u

If its about the Pedigree, why didnt you look for a non-Pedigree copy?

I never cracked out a book out but I dont think its a "dangerous" process. :)

No not a problem you just have to be careful doing it. Mainly cutting the plastic open in the inner well. I've done it with 9.8 books before. Just take your time doing it and no rushing. (thumbs u

:applause: Bravo, sir.

I recommend cracking that baby out. Not like you're going to try and flip it for a profit (and if you are, good luck with that). So, you might as well be able to read it, smell it, feel the texture of that golden paper inside.

Let us know what it's like after you do! Post some shots of the interior.

Thanks for the comments all!

A little clarification I guess...

I'm not worried about the actual cracking, I've done it enough to be comfortable with it. ;) I was mainly worried about the (horrible, terrible, inevitable) time when I need to sell up. Would cracking it kill the "value"? Would it be "worth" more encased?

If I do crack it, (and that's how it looks at the mo), I'll put up some crappy camera phone pics. :whee:

James

You paid $15 for it. It's a 6.5. Crack it and enjoy it.

Ack-chew-alley, I paid $47 for it (I always count the shipping on an eBay buy! ;)) You have a very good point. I didn't pay a lot, so what the spoon! Pics in a bit! :)

James

**EDIT**

The pics I took were . >.< I'll have to try again tomorrow (gotta get the girlfriend and do some shopping...*gag*).

I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to crack it out... (thumbs u

Having said that, I've always been curious about this technicality:

If you want to crack it out to read do it. Just keep the CGC label with the book so the pedigree will always be known. And if you re-submit the book to CGC later have the label with the book so the new label will have the pedigree name on it.

Generally speaking, is this ^ correct? If you crack a pedigree and then submit for re-slabbing later (with the old label), will you retain the pedigree on the new label? Anyone had this experience?

I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to crack it out... (thumbs u

Having said that, I've always been curious about this technicality:

Generally speaking, is this ^ correct? If you crack a pedigree and then submit for re-slabbing later (with the old label), will you retain the pedigree on the new label? Anyone had this experience?

Yep, based on my experience they'll recognize the pedigree with the old label.