• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 26: What I Would Like to Read Soon

3 posts in this topic

There some classic works out there that are still new to me.

I've become interested recently in Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing/Swamp Thing run - I credit this to some recent journal thread discussions. I've added Saga of the Swamp Thing, Books 1 through 6 to my Amazon wish list, book 5 will be released on 12/10/13 and book 6 will be released on 5/13/14. I'm trying not to research too much into this run, I wish to begin with a blank slate and check any expectations at the door. I know very little of Swamp Thing and I look forward to finding out for myself what this is all about.

Another series of books I have yet to read are from the EC Archives, Tales from the Crypt, Shock SuspenStories, Vault of Horror and so on. I used to watch Tales from the Crypt as a kid, I cannot believe as a fan of the comic medium that I have yet to read a single issue from this run. The hardcover library would be quite a task to attempt to collect, I'm not aware of any paper back editions currently in print. I like stores that deal with the supernatural, stories that make you think, characters who are well developed, I also like stories where certain characters get what is coming to them in the end, in the form of poetic justice! From what I have read and heard from others, it looks like Swamp Thing and the EC horror comics are the way to go.

Brandon

14755.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

If you can, pick up Dark Genesis, which collects Swamp Thing Volume 1, issues 1 - 10. This is the classic Bronze Age run by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson... arguably the best run in the Bronze Age next to the New X-Men. These are the roots of the Swamp Thing and the perfect starting point if you never read the character. Although I love Moore, this one remains my absolute favorite Swamp Thing series.

SW3D