• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many eBay sellers refuse to ship out of the USA?

147 posts in this topic

To be honest the US postal system is worse than many.

If it's not in the US then it does not exist....

I live in Bristol in the UK (10th biggest city in UK with population approaching 500,000) and US postal service often cannot find it on their system.

How does this happen?

Currently I'm waiting for package from USPS and cannot track it as I do not have a us zip code - it really sucks as I desperately need the package for work.

So in my opinion the US postal service is as bad as the rest!

:news:

Priority Mail boxes can be used for International also. It says it right on the box.

Yes, for significantly more cost. In my experience, using a label or a box that reads "Priority Mail" while attaching non-Priority Mail postage to it is a no-go. At best, the item incurs additional shipping costs that the recipient must pay in order to take possession of the package.

I live in Bristol in the UK (10th biggest city in UK with population approaching 500,000) and US postal service often cannot find it on their system.

Don't you know the world revolves around us? Just be thankful we allow you to occupy a space on our planet.

Silly rabbit.

It never ceases to amaze me why so many eBay US Sellers will not ship to Canada!

Don't they realize how much more potential sales they are missing out on?

Am I missing a crucial piece of information as to why shipping to Canada is so difficult for US sellers?

Is it really worth lost sales dollars?

It is just way to easy to ship inside of the US. To ship outside the US takes extra effort and the "loss" in sales I would guess is next to nothing.

How does this happen?

Currently I'm waiting for package from USPS and cannot track it as I do not have a us zip code - it really sucks as I desperately need the package for work.

I think you misunderstand how the postal system works.

The moment it leaves US soil, it's under control of another countries system completely. IIRC, the USPS doesn't even do the shipment to the destination country; they merely transport it to the mode of transports port; air, sea, etc. they don't even do he actual overseas shipping.

Then it sits in the destination countries customs; again, completely out of the pervue of the USPS. Of all intents and purposes, it may as we'll never even been a USPS shipment at that point.

To sl4ppy, I understand how it works... But it is not a problem in other countries. It's a problem in the US

People in the US have not been able to even send the packages out of the US, as the US postal service cannot find the address.... It's nothing to do with other countries.

... And tracking the package that USPS is trying to deliver to me, is on the US site as they would not have regional sites...

Believe me, the US postal service is as bad as the rest.

... Or at least on a par with the UK and Canada

I see for some people it’s still a problem, but I guess the problem is mostly related to not knowing the person, and to eBay.

I generally don’t use tracked shipping neither way – only if I require it or the buyer requires it (and for more costly items of course). In the unfortunate event the package content gets lost, I always consider and/or assume splitting 50/50% the damage. Of course, with more expensive items I will use Registered.

As far as "buy all their best comics to make you jealous" (Trapezetony), I just sold a Daredevil GA book and will be back on its way to USA – and sold some italian GA comics to a great board friend, so it‘s both ways. ;)

How does this happen?

I have generally had positive experiences with USPS, but I admit that packages destined overseas seem to be treated better than First Class packages in US-US shipments. In fact, the only package I have had damaged in two years has been a small package sent by an eBay seller to an US friend of mine, but the others arrived just fine to Italy.

To sl4ppy, I understand how it works... But it is not a problem in other countries. It's a problem in the US

People in the US have not been able to even send the packages out of the US, as the US postal service cannot find the address.... It's nothing to do with other countries.

... And tracking the package that USPS is trying to deliver to me, is on the US site as they would not have regional sites...

Believe me, the US postal service is as bad as the rest.

... Or at least on a par with the UK and Canada

I know my personal experience shipping stuff to family in parts of Europe (Spain, Italy) and Asia is that packages outside the US with US origination are VERY often stolen. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage is over 50%.

When we lived in Upstate NY, shipping stuff abroad was more reliable if you drove to Canada and shipped it because packages from Canada where far less likely to be stolen in foreign countries than US packages. Often packages sent from the US were rifled through when they arrived...

It's easy to understand why, and not because the USPS "sucks". And no, the USPS isn't always great.

Edit:

To feed the fire. :). British study of postal services around the world rated the US #1.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/06/news/economy/postal_service/

&

http://blog.syracuse.com/opinion/2013/02/which_country_has_the_worlds_b.html

It's scarey to think how risky it can be to post things around the globe.

To be honest I think I have been very lucky as 99% of my purchase have been from the US, UK and Canada and most have arrived in good condition and just the occasional delay.

It never ceases to amaze me why so many eBay US Sellers will not ship to Canada!

Don't they realize how much more potential sales they are missing out on?

Am I missing a crucial piece of information as to why shipping to Canada is so difficult for US sellers?

Is it really worth lost sales dollars?

eBay? What about our very own marketplace? Canada is NOT international in relation to the US. :facepalm:

We U.S. citizens don't care about you folks on other continents.

:grin:

Canada is above you > look up way up

:grin:

Yeah - Canada is America's hat.

:shrug:

-slym

How does this happen?

After it leaves US soil, it is on whomever postal system it is going to.

So, blame the British post office in Bristol for your woes, not the USPS.

;)

-slym

:news:

Priority Mail boxes can be used for International also. It says it right on the box.

Yes, for significantly more cost. In my experience, using a label or a box that reads "Priority Mail" while attaching non-Priority Mail postage to it is a no-go. At best, the item incurs additional shipping costs that the recipient must pay in order to take possession of the package.

It costs me $23.85 to ship one CGC book to Canada USPS PM. Not a lot of money which the buyer pays for.

I have many Canadian bidders.

Your tracking number once again is the customs number.

Never had a single problem in 15 years selling on eBay.

All my problems were USA only.