• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many eBay sellers refuse to ship out of the USA?

147 posts in this topic

It never ceases to amaze me why so many eBay US Sellers will not ship to Canada!

Don't they realize how much more potential sales they are missing out on?

Am I missing a crucial piece of information as to why shipping to Canada is so difficult for US sellers?

Is it really worth lost sales dollars?

People are afraid of what they don't know. There's one idea that customs will hold up a delivery and the buyer will neg the seller because of it, even if it isn't their fault.

Just buy on the boards!! (thumbs u

Reasons

1. For many sellers, you can give mail to postman who comes to your place of business, or house and just give him the mail with prepaid shipping slapped on there. With international (and yes while Canada may technically be a bit cheaper than most other countries, the process is the same), it is more likely that you need to go to the post office to drop it off, which means driving, traffic, lines, post office confusion, etc. Otherwise you've got to measure it, and weigh it, and look up postal rates.

2. If there is a problem, it is way harder to resolve the issue over borders.

3. Don't want to deal with declarations and customs, etc. And if customs happens to open it, whatever you're selling could be damaged or charged for additional tax.

4. Most buyers are in America. We have a zillion more people, and the average person buys more stuff

For me it was a tracking thing. If I can't track the package and have the buyer sign for it, then I will not ship it.

eBay is on the buyers side most of the time, so all a buyer has to do is say I never received it, because tracking wasn't done or signature. Then the money comes out of the sellers pocket, and the buyer gets both. I've seen it happen.

I have sold WD OA to someone in Canada, a few times, and he paid up to $60 for it to be shipped to him with insurance, tracking, and signature.

I'm sorry that what you want is unattainable, maybe someone else will have it and will ship it to you. Unless it's a 1/1. Then idk.

Good luck out there.

It never ceases to amaze me why so many eBay US Sellers will not ship to Canada!

Am I missing a crucial piece of information as to why shipping to Canada is so difficult for US sellers?

Some US sellers have had bad experiences shipping outside the US, or anticipate that they will have them. But there is also the rather glaring issue of Ebay's seller protection. (I post the following every time this comes up...)

Ebay seller protection for international shipping requires tracking, which means shipping Priority Mail International. Using Priority shipping is the only chance I have that ebay will side with me if a buyer in another country claims they never got my package. Unfortunately, most of the books or lots I sell are in the $10-50 range, and don't make economic sense to the buyer to send Priority.

If I ship you an ebay win first class international, I'm crossing my fingers that you won't claim you didn't get it when you did. If you file a claim, I have no proof of delivery; ebay will most likely side with you and there's nothing I can do.

I like selling to buyers outside the US, and continue to do so. But shipping first class international, there is risk involved (as well as time waiting on line at the post office, etc) and US sellers do have to factor that in with every transaction.

eBay is on the buyers side most of the time, so all a buyer has to do is say I never received it, because tracking wasn't done or signature. Then the money comes out of the sellers pocket, and the buyer gets both.

This is exactly why I won't ship out of the US on eBay. I will ship to Canada selling on the boards, but even that cost me $36 to ship one comic the other day. doh!

Some US sellers have had bad experiences shipping outside the US, or anticipate that they will have them. But there is also the rather glaring issue of Ebay's seller protection. (I post the following every time this comes up...)

Ebay seller protection for international shipping requires tracking, which means shipping Priority Mail International. Using Priority shipping is the only chance I have that ebay will side with me if a buyer in another country claims they never got my package. Unfortunately, most of the books or lots I sell are in the $10-50 range, and don't make economic sense to the buyer to send Priority.

If I ship you an ebay win first class international, I'm crossing my fingers that you won't claim you didn't get it when you did. If you file a claim, I have no proof of delivery; ebay will most likely side with you and there's nothing I can do.

I like selling to buyers outside the US, and continue to do so. But shipping first class international, there is risk involved (as well as time waiting on line at the post office, etc) and US sellers do have to factor that in with every transaction.

THIS EXACTLY

THIS EXACTLY

Right back at you. (thumbs u You posted the same thing while I was digging up those words of wisdom. lol

I continue to ship first class international, and I'm willing to roll the dice most of the time... but in my mind, my luck will run out one of these days with an int'l buyer, and I'm one negative experience away from being a 'US only' seller myself (on ebay, that is).

I happily ship to Canada!

(thumbs u

I have shipped to: Canada, Australia, South Africa, and the UK.

I will ship international on the boards because I "know" and trust boardies here. I do not (very very rarely) ship international on eBay because (1) I don't know the buyer, (2) there is usually no tracking, (3) there is usually no insurance, (4) if something happens there is no way to investigate, (5) a 100 things could go wrong and ultimately bite me in the rear.

So, it's no offense to international eBayers, but those previously mentioned factors are involved. If there was an issue with an international shipment with a boardie from here at least I know them and we can work together to resolve it. But with an unknown buyer that might not be the case.

My 2c

I have always tracked my orders to Canada via the customs form number, unless I express it. (shrug)

Shows all the updates in delivery status and when it is delivered.

I only use Priority Mail to ship CGC slabs to Canada and they pay for the insurance so I never even consider not selling to Canada. I will also just use First Class international for cheapie raw books. If someone in Canada wants to rip me off for a $20 WD variant then they need the book more than I do. Never had a problem yet sending anything first class. Had more problems in USA actually.

USA sellers are leaving probably 25% of buying power off the table by not including Canada.

I happily ship to Canada!

(thumbs u

I have shipped to: Canada, Australia, South Africa, and the UK.

I will ship international on the boards because I "know" and trust boardies here. I do not (very very rarely) ship international on eBay because (1) I don't know the buyer, (2) there is usually no tracking, (3) there is usually no insurance, (4) if something happens there is no way to investigate, (5) a 100 things could go wrong and ultimately bite me in the rear.

So, it's no offense to international eBayers, but those previously mentioned factors are involved. If there was an issue with an international shipment with a boardie from here at least I know them and we can work together to resolve it. But with an unknown buyer that might not be the case.

My 2c

It seems like everything I sell someone in Canada wants ( no disrespect intended ) , they like our comics.. I recently shipped a fairly expensive piece to Australia with no problems , they can track it to the person there. He also floated the 50.00 postal fee so it was a good transaction, but if I cant get tracking straight to their door, I'm not doing it on Ebay.

Reasons

1. For many sellers, you can give mail to postman who comes to your place of business, or house and just give him the mail with prepaid shipping slapped on there. With international (and yes while Canada may technically be a bit cheaper than most other countries, the process is the same), it is more likely that you need to go to the post office to drop it off, which means driving, traffic, lines, post office confusion, etc. Otherwise you've got to measure it, and weigh it, and look up postal rates.

That is true about sending out of U.S. and I acually did the walk in many U.S. postal offices in few states while I was on my holiday trips there. From eBay, I had brought the parcels in my baggage. Went to the local postal office to sent then away. I had found that the rates to Europe is cheaper than in Canada, Did the green customs form - no big deal, It's only 1-2 mins to do the form - then you done.

Now you can do this all on the computer - input the measures/weight, find the right cost and print off postal labels.

2. If there is a problem, it is way harder to resolve the issue over borders.

I had only one problem in ebay with one buyer - it went fine with no issue.

3. Don't want to deal with declarations and customs, etc. And if customs happens to open it, whatever you're selling could be damaged or charged for additional tax.

True on that, and is the same to me in Canada - so we are in same boat on either side!

4. Most buyers are in America. We have a zillion more people, and the average person buys more stuff

True again, I should tell you to add "sellers" ... I find that I buy more comics from USA than I do in Canada.

The best advice I can tell you canucks - go set up a U.S. shipping account over the border. I did this and :luhv: it more. More savings in my pocket and putting towards for more comics!

but if I cant get tracking straight to their door, I'm not doing it on Ebay.

That's where I'm at on the subject (thumbs u

Ditto in agree! I don't like doing this subject. In fact I post the advice about tracking in my auctions upfront so bidders is aware of the fact. With Canada Post tracking, it stops when the parcels went over the border. From there , it's in the hands of U.S. Postal worker.