• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many eBay sellers refuse to ship out of the USA?

147 posts in this topic

I only use Priority Mail to ship CGC slabs to Canada

I use first class unless it's multi-slabs (more cost effective)

But you can add insurance. (shrug)

Most of my slabs range between $250-$1000, so I have to use Priority Mail.

I ship heavy supplies (mylars and microchamber) all over the world. I had my first purchase from Qatar a month or so ago. Priority works out well for these sorts of items as they are usually heavy enough to be cost effective. However, most buyers of low $$ comics balk at paying $20 to CAN or $24 WW for Priority Flat Rate envelope, thus for the average seller it would require a trip to the post office to ship first class. For many sellers the hassle is simply not worth it.

I self insure small orders and use third party insurers for orders I consider large and "risky" (single digit feedback, etc.)

I gave up due to the price changes this year. Too many people trying to low ball me to make up for the shipping differences or wanted 1st class which I couldn't process at home. Wasn't something I wanted to do, but int shipping is stupid expensive.

Personally I find that postage to other countries is now a minor issue.

I'm in the UK and have bought lots on ebay, but recently I have really stopped buying as much as ebay have changed their postage options.

I have no idea of what has happened.... All I know is that at my end I'm often being charged import duties of around 20-30-40% .

Basically some postage opinions add on a whole load of tax and I just cannot afford to pay that on top of the cost of the book and international postage.

Can anyone explain what us happening with this really nasty postage option??

It never ceases to amaze me why so many eBay US Sellers will not ship to Canada!

Don't they realize how much more potential sales they are missing out on?

Am I missing a crucial piece of information as to why shipping to Canada is so difficult for US sellers?

Is it really worth lost sales dollars?

Canada is one of the worst postal systems I have ever dealt with.For a country so close you would think it is on the other side of the world.

I sent a priority package a few months ago.It took 2 months to get there.It was going to another boardie and he was ok with it but jeez thats a long time.

Personally I find that postage to other countries is now a minor issue.

I'm in the UK and have bought lots on ebay, but recently I have really stopped buying as much as ebay have changed their postage options.

I have no idea of what has happened.... All I know is that at my end I'm often being charged import duties of around 20-30-40% .

Basically some postage opinions add on a whole load of tax and I just cannot afford to pay that on top of the cost of the book and international postage.

Can anyone explain what us happening with this really nasty postage option??

Get your seller to write

" Used books, commodity code 4902900000 "

on the customs form, this will let customs know exactly what is in the package.

There is no tax on comics in the UK,

I'm not sure that would help as the money is taken by ebays " global postage programme"

Eg look at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSE-X-SPIDEY-1-CGC-9-8-SS-ALEX-ROSS-Recalled-edition-variant-NM-M-/350934419185?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item51b55246f

Currently selling at $66 with $28.23 int. postage plus $21.93 import charges to the UK as it's sold via this nasty ebay postage scheme.

I'm happy with the postage but do not want to pay the tax.

I cannot pay for the comic without paying the tax as well!!

I dont know about that, I used to buy from the US all the time on ebay, but since I found the boards ,I have never felt the need or had the cash left to buy from Ebay US.

There are some fantastic sellers on the boards here who will see you right and you can use the WTB thread for books that you dont see for sale.

Ebay pfffttt who needs it :cool:

Earlier today, I dropped off an ebay sale to be shipped to the UK. On the way to the post office, I was telling my wife why I didn't like selling abroad.

1.I usually ship priority mail, using the USPS-provided boxes. That way I don't have to pay for packaging (yes, I know it's built into the cost of shipping, but it saves hassle). Today, I had to find a box to ship this, which meant trying a drug store and failing and then making trip 1 to the post office where I paid $2.99 USD for a box. That money cuts into my profit on a book that only sold for about $34.

2. The calculated postage on ebay always ends up short (I thought I had restricted auction to US only and was surprised to find a UK buyer won) and I have to swallow a few more dollars. Today that meant $4 additional taken from my profit.

3. This was a no-return CGC item, but if buyer went through ebay buyer protection, I'm still going to be hosed. Hard to resolve issues overseas.

4. Although I could purchase and print postage from home, I had to make trip #2 to post office to drop off package.

5. Tracking. It's hard for me to know if package was delivered, especially if buyer never leaves feedback.

This ebay "tax" only started a month or so ago... So it's fairly new.... And it really is nasty!

I have looked at the boards and like what I see, so I'll give it a go as I'd prefer to pay cash to a boardie rather than a cut to ebay(10%) and the tax man (30%) :-)

But stupid question coming up....

People often say "No hosers, No Probies"

What are these?..

We U.S. citizens don't care about you folks on other continents.

:grin:

Canada is above you > look up way up

:grin:

This ebay "tax" only started a month or so ago... So it's fairly new.... And it really is nasty!

I have looked at the boards and like what I see, so I'll give it a go as I'd prefer to pay cash to a boardie rather than a cut to ebay(10%) and the tax man (30%) :-)

But stupid question coming up....

People often say "No hosers, No Probies"

What are these?..

No Hall of shamers or people on probation, basically wankers who either dont pay or tried to rip someone off.

Some of the sellers on here will let you buy books and will hold them for you until you have a decent pile built up and then ship the whole lot to you in one go, that way you can save quite a bit on shipping.

Once you start looking in the sales threads you can easily work out the big sellers, 99% on here are great guys and will work with you to get the best deals.

I am perpetually skint but very happy :grin:

The reality is that postal services in most of the world outside the US are very unreliable and inadequate. Canada & UK may be okay, but even lots of Europe can be sketchy...

Shipping internationally introduces a huge unnecessary risk.

I'll ship to most places outside the USA. Only if the buyer pays full shipping charges and I can track it. If not, I won't do it. As others have said...too much risk.

I recently sold an Iron Man Helmet from Sideshow...was an eBay sale and the guy was in Singapore. He paid full shipping...I had a tracking number and all was great.

:news:

Priority Mail boxes can be used for International also. It says it right on the box.

people don't bother selling overseas cause they don't want to hassle with the custom forms. I do however, believe if you accept orders abroad, ebay provides all the info for you to print off?