• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 in 30 - Day 27: Back to Focus

3 posts in this topic

We can't have everything.

The inside of my mind has been in constant motion over the last several months on the subject of my collection, one such wheel that has been turning to a steady rhythm has been the desire to re-focus myself and my CGC habits. I have purchased only 9 slabs this year, a major decline from the 29 slabs I purchased in 2012. The 9 pieces I picked up this year are solid pieces that have fit well into my focused sets, I hope the final number of slabs stays at 9 for 2013 but there is still one more month to go.

Earlier in my 30 day journal run, I wrote of a few vintage pieces that I sold off and the reasoning for parting with such items. Writing of this set in motion a gear, which in turn spun other gears which moved me to other thoughts. Like the inner workings of a watch working to show the progression of time, the inner workings of my mind starting thinking about the concept of time, specifically the present and the future. I thought back to my journal for Day 1, where I wrote of my many check lists. After thinking about this for some time, I decided to retire some of these checklists. I wanted to get back to focus so to say, I have a few sets sitting in my registry page, sets that have not seen a new addition for quite some time. As I have come to accept and embrace the notion of one day parting with my books - hopefully in a far off future - I feel it is best to move on from some of the ideas for sets I once had.

The first list I retired was Star Wars, from Marvel, I composed a list 20 covers or so from the run I thought I would like to have. I have one slab for Star Wars, issue #65 (Nov. 1982) and I enjoy the cover, but this series was not meant to be for my CGC collection. I had a CGC 9.6 copy of #1 several years ago but I parted with it to buy other books. I also retired a list for Action Comics #500 to 599, I have a nice portion of these issues already but I do not feel the same way about some of these issues as I do for the issues in the 400s range, I will not worry about trying to the complete the 500s, only if I can get these pieces for the right price. I have also retired my X-Men checklist for the Bryne/Claremont run, I never had the intention of getting some of these early issue in high grade (or any grade for that matter) and I enjoy the pieces I have from this run, but I think it's best to set this run aside in terms of graded examples, as long as I can read them I'm set. X-Men #114 and #141 in CGC 9.8 grade were two grails of mine for a while, this was a fun thought and I still love these two covers, but this will no longer be a pursuit of mine.

With my CGC vision refocused, I'm still hungry for Action Comics examples in 9.8 grade from #400 through 499. I'm also still in the race for books from the Further Adventures of Indiana Jones and the Indiana Jones movie adaptations in 9.8 grade. I'm also still set on issues from the Death and Return of Superman, I can take my time on this one and this why this set is third in rank on my main focus list. The two sets I have in the registry that also have handwritten checklists from me are Red Sonja and Star Trek, the Marvel runs specifically. These two sets are the current exception, they are not a part of my overall focus, I have filled them under the category "Once in Blue Moon," I still want issues from these runs but it will take some time and I may have to pass from time to time on these to deal with my three main sets.

Brandon

14763.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Say it ain't so Brandon, you can't give up on the Byrne/Claremont X-men run!?! Think about the points, not to mention the historical significance and all around awesomeness of these issues! Sigh. Ok, I know I'm wasting my breath here seeing as how you are more invested in DC at this point. :facepalm: It's OK, I understand...just so long as you don't go around saying anything crazy like "Superman could take down the Silver Surfer." (tsk)

sig.jpg

sig.jpg