• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibility and Investment of Copper/Modern CGC books?

65 posts in this topic

So I like Deadpool, even though I mostly missed the boat on him in my comic reading and collecting lapse. I've thought about picking up a copy of New Mutants 98, but even raw copies in worthwhile condition are pricey. I saw one for sale recently and thought, "Hmm, maybe that's the one."

But I wanted to do a bit of research first. Resist the impulse buy, all that. And then I see over 4000 CGC registered New Mutants 98.

Even with a raw copy, I feel like that's one boat I'm just going to let sail. I mean, 20 years from now when there are over 4,000 of these puppies floating around, looking for homes, what's going to happen to the value? Sure, I'll still like Deadpool and it'd still be cool to have that issue, but I'm not going to cling to my comics forever. At the least, I'll let some move out, others move in, and I'll hold onto certain ones, until the time comes that I unload them in my dotage.

Moreover, I see all these modern comics that are certified and going for $200+. And of course, they're setting there in ebay stores gathering digital dust.

Is this all just roman candles? Mind you, when I stopped reading and collecting CGC was not a thing. Upon my return, it is. I like the reliability it provides when acquiring copies, but when it comes to these copper and modern books, especially those titles of which copies are found in abundance, I just can't get it.

Lend me your insights, O' Veterans of the comic scene.

The overwhelming majority of hot modern books I'd pass on, unless it was something I REALLY wanted to read before the trade came out. NM98 isn't going to plummet in price any time soon. In ten years maybe it won't have appreciated a whole lot, maybe it's a bit cheaper, but that's a long time to wait if you really want it. I have very few comics in that price range, but the ones I do have, when I bought them it was because I wanted to keep them forever. If I eventually unload them it would have to be either because I've lost all interest in collecting comics or I've fallen on really tough times. Or if they multiply in value several times over, I don't think I'm the type of person to own a four figure book. At that point I think I'd get rid of it and be happy with a reprint or trade.

Deadpool is here to stay as a big part of the MU. I guess it's a safe bet (save for 9.9 or 10.0), but really, 20 years from now are you going to care that much if you made a wise "investment" choice with your few hundred dollars for a HG copy? I doubt it.

I wouldn't personally 'invest' in any comic book. I buy them and have spent between one and two thousand dollars on a single book (and I know this is small potatoes compared to many; it's just my experience), but I wouldn't call them investments. I just wanted them so I bought them. :shrug:

Short-term certain moderns are great for profitable flips, but most likely not good long-term investments.

Let`s use your 20 years as a barometer. This would be 1993.

Ask yourself how many comic books from 1993 and up have been really good investments?

Then ask yourself how many other collectibles from all other collectible fields have been real good investments from 1993 and up?

Then take that information and compare it to stocks,forestry and real estate you could have bought from 1993 and up .

With that being said I do think New Mutants #98 is a good long-term investment. Deadpool is basically Marvel`s last popular universe creation.

He will be in upcoming movies, video games. I think in 20 years people will be looking back at how they bought a NM #98 CGC 9.8 for $500 and say to themselves "I got this cheap compared to what it goes for now!"

;)

Deadpool-Video-Game-Cover-Art.jpg

So I like Deadpool, even though I mostly missed the boat on him in my comic reading and collecting lapse. I've thought about picking up a copy of New Mutants 98, but even raw copies in worthwhile condition are pricey. I saw one for sale recently and thought, "Hmm, maybe that's the one."

But I wanted to do a bit of research first. Resist the impulse buy, all that. And then I see over 4000 CGC registered New Mutants 98.

Even with a raw copy, I feel like that's one boat I'm just going to let sail. I mean, 20 years from now when there are over 4,000 of these puppies floating around, looking for homes, what's going to happen to the value? Sure, I'll still like Deadpool and it'd still be cool to have that issue, but I'm not going to cling to my comics forever. At the least, I'll let some move out, others move in, and I'll hold onto certain ones, until the time comes that I unload them in my dotage.

Moreover, I see all these modern comics that are certified and going for $200+. And of course, they're setting there in ebay stores gathering digital dust.

Is this all just roman candles? Mind you, when I stopped reading and collecting CGC was not a thing. Upon my return, it is. I like the reliability it provides when acquiring copies, but when it comes to these copper and modern books, especially those titles of which copies are found in abundance, I just can't get it.

Personally, I do not find post 1980 comic books in general to be all that 'investment' worthy by the true definition of the word. These were horded en masse. Sure there will always be some must have issues, but for the most part expecting appreciation in these kind of books the same way that say pre 1969 comic books accelerated in value is not feasible.

In explication, I just started collecting AFA graded GI Joe toys and I am actually amazed at the total lack of demand for some of these items. Aside from some other heavy hitters like me most of these items are overpriced and just sitting on eBay. This is an excellent example to counter the so called 'rule of 25' theorists who believe that within twenty five years everything will be sought after and increase in value. Ironically, vintage Star Wars toys continue to be on the rise; while the later POTF 2 figures just sit gathering dust. Just some observations.

In conclusion, there are many excellent comic book dealers on this forum who specialize in this field of interest and would be far more experienced in this realm. Personally, I have no problem paying four figures for a vintage comic book. However, paying that amount for a post 1980 book would be unfathomable unless it was like a TMNT #1 (first printing), etc.

Just my opinion.

Deadpool is here to stay as a big part of the MU. I guess it's a safe bet (save for 9.9 or 10.0), but really, 20 years from now are you going to care that much if you made a wise "investment" choice with your few hundred dollars for a HG copy? I doubt it.

Fixed that. :D

And a few hundred dollars for New Mutants #98? Are you kidding? I’d rather give them to Rob Liefeld when he will be starving and no one will want his art no longer (maybe it will happen).

I wouldn't personally 'invest' in any comic book. I buy them and have spent between one and two thousand dollars on a single book (and I know this is small potatoes compared to many; it's just my experience), but I wouldn't call them investments. I just wanted them so I bought them. :shrug:

Buddy knows his stuff! (thumbs u

Fixed that. :D

And a few hundred dollars for New Mutants #98? Are you kidding? I’d rather give them to Rob Liefeld when he will be starving and no one will want his art no longer (maybe it will happen).

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I am not a fan of NM98 on any level, but I do enjoy reading Deadpool comics. It is undeniable that he's become a big part of the MU though.

In explication, I just started collecting AFA graded GI Joe toys and I am actually amazed at the total lack of demand for some of these items. Aside from some other heavy hitters like me most of these items are overpriced and just sitting on eBay. This is an excellent example to counter the so called 'rule of 25' theorists who believe that within twenty five years everything will be sought after and increase in value. Ironically, vintage Star Wars toys continue to be on the rise; while the later POTF 2 figures just sit gathering dust. Just some observations.

Just my opinion.

There are a number of GI Joe collectors, myself included, that will not touch anything GI Joe AFA. The brittle plastic that was made for the Real American Hero Line (1982-1994) combined with the O-Ring structure lead many to fear that basic deterioration of the inner structure of the O-Ring would allow a $500 AFA graded figure to become worthless if that O-Ring snaps while the figure is sealed the card. GI Joe is an outlier in that equation.

One of a few threads raising the concern:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-general-discussion/4124-o-ring-discussion-thread.html

Broken figure from brittle plastic while still sealed to the card:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-general-discussion/200443-afa-question.html

Thread I started - asking about it:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-toys-vintage-discussion/73152-question-longevity-vintage-moc-joes.html

There are a LOT more over there

I just put up a couple more links - one of which mentions a broken figure on the card and asking what that figure will receive from AFA if they send it in.

Believe what you want, it happens. If it happens to you don't be upset when you have a rag doll of a figure on a sealed card.

I just put up a couple more links - one of which mentions a broken figure on the card and asking what that figure will receive from AFA if they send it in.

Believe what you want, it happens. If it happens to you don't be upset when you have a rag doll of a figure on a sealed card.

Just to be clear o-rings are not the reason why GI Joe prices are down. By that logic, no one would collect anything, There is risk in anything you buy. Post vintage SW bubbles (after 21 backs) are more prone to yellowing; yet people are currently paying thousands for some of the later releases and I will not. I stopped at the just 21 and the rarities.

The ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years is a fallacy; as was my original point. There are a gazillion product lines that languish on the after market. Just to name a few, Muppet Babies, Captain Power, Tales from the Crypt, Star Gate, and the like have not kept pace with inflation overall; let alone the cost of storage and maintenance. There are many toys and related items that I breathe a sigh of relief that I was not of those unfortunate fools who paid for a Rubbermaid tub to store items in which the tote is now worth more.

Just to be clear o-rings are not the reason why GI Joe prices are down. By that logic, no one would collect anything, There is risk in anything you buy. Post vintage SW bubbles (after 21 backs) are more prone to yellowing; yet people are currently paying thousands for some of the later releases and I will not. I stopped at the just 21 and the rarities.

The ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years is a fallacy; as was my original point. There are a gazillion product lines that languish on the after market. Just to name a few, Muppet Babies, Captain Power, Tales from the Crypt, Star Gate, and the like have not kept pace with inflation overall; let alone the cost of storage and maintenance. There are many toys and related items that I breathe a sigh of relief that I was not of those unfortunate fools who paid for a Rubbermaid tub to store items in which the tote is now worth more.

My thinking is a variant of the ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years which is the number one Uno numero things from 25 years ago become hot again.

An example

1980s Hot = Transformers,TMNT,Masters of the Universe, Mario, Zelda and GI JOE.

Not m.a.s.k ,Inhumanoids, or Centurions.

1990s Hot = Powers Rangers, Street Fighter,Gargoyles,Mortal Kombat,Pokemon, and Magic the Gathering.

Not Exosquad,Mighty Max or Captain N: The Game Master,

Only the best comeback big in 25 years! :cloud9:

And my point it...

Part of the reason....

That people are staying away from AFA....

For Vintage GI Joe Figures...

Is that...

The figures are made of....

Cheap plastic...

Over time...

They are prone...

To breaking...

Even on the card...

Broken figure is more obvious and a detriment to a buyer than a bubble that starts to yellow over time. That slightly yellow bubble may be perceived as the buyer as part of the grade.

No one wants a broken toy.

Personally, I do not find post 1980 comic books in general to be all that 'investment' worthy by the true definition of the word. These were horded en masse. Sure there will always be some must have issues, but for the most part expecting appreciation in these kind of books the same way that say pre 1969 comic books accelerated in value is not feasible.

In conclusion, there are many excellent comic book dealers on this forum who specialize in this field of interest and would be far more experienced in this realm. Personally, I have no problem paying four figures for a vintage comic book. However, paying that amount for a post 1980 book would be unfathomable unless it was like a TMNT #1 (first printing), etc.

Just my opinion.

You do realize, of course, that NOBODY says what is bolded. You keep stating this and it is completely missing the point of what the Rule of 25 is.

What I - and everyone who has been proven right every single time says - is that what becomes collectible is what 12-17 year old boys were collecting 25 years previously. Not everything. Some things. You have to gamble, but if you hit the right one you will make huge returns.

Two methods have worked for me when I wanted a specific issue that was wildly popular & values were inflated beyond what I wanted to pay. First was waiting until the madness died down, which it always seems to though it may take years. Hype over movies or new storylines or whatever give some buyers a speculative craze to buy at any price because they're sure it will go up. The WTC issue of Spider-Man and death of Captain America come to mind and I still see plenty of unrealistic asking prices from people trying to recoup their purchase price at the height of the demand. Mostly though these go for so much less now than they did.

Deadpool now reminds me of Moon Knight a few years ago. Everyone seemed to want the high grades and it was an expensive way to go. The popularity is still largely there and it's tough to get those higher grades at a good price. That leads to the 2nd way that works for me and that's to buy the lowest grade that you'd be happy with. When I wanted WWBN 32 just because I really liked Moon Knight, I had in mind it had to be 9.2 or better but the prices were just crazy. I finally figured out I wanted an issue because I wanted it as part of my collection, not because I wanted to have resale value. I ended up finding an 8.0 slab that looked great to me and was not affected by excess pricing like the higher graded copies. I've enjoyed having it because I always liked the character and I just love seeing the cover on my wall. If the issue loses interest in the future and the value goes down then I don't lose because I'm enjoying it and didn't spend hundreds of dollars on it. Chances are if I ever do need to sell it I'll get back what I paid but not make much which is fine with me because that's not why I got it. If you really want one of the higher grades of NM 98 then I'd guess it'll take some time & still be expensive but will be possible in the future.

My thinking is a variant of the ideology that all items become collectible after twenty five years which is the number one Uno numero things from 25 years ago become hot again.

An example

1980s Hot = Transformers,TMNT,Masters of the Universe, Mario, Zelda and GI JOE.

Not m.a.s.k ,Inhumanoids, or Centurions.

1990s Hot = Powers Rangers, Street Fighter,Gargoyles,Mortal Kombat,Pokemon, and Magic the Gathering.

Not Exosquad,Mighty Max or Captain N: The Game Master,

Only the best comeback big in 25 years! :cloud9:

Hmm, I'd think the 25 years notion has something to do with people growing up, approaching or entering middle age, and having some cash to go out hunting their childhood relics.

EDIT: And thanks, all, for chiming in. Interesting stuff.

I don't think I suffer from that Rule Of 25. I collect comics, sure. But I don't think I've bought an actual back issue all year long, and the trades I bought collect stuff much older than me. The stuff from my childhood I mostly don't collect or have any interest in anymore. Although I collect comics from my childhood, they are comics I wasn't reading during my childhood, and mostly comics that were not suitable for children. Hate, Love And Rockets, stuff like that.

Just my opinion.

You do realize, of course, that NOBODY says what is bolded. You keep stating this and it is completely missing the point of what the Rule of 25 is.

What I - and everyone who has been proven right every single time says - is that what becomes collectible is what 12-17 year old boys were collecting 25 years previously. Not everything. Some things. You have to gamble, but if you hit the right one you will make huge returns.

I will comment further, but I wanted to know if you saw this article? As someone who has been an enthusiast of the author, I am the individual who posed the question in the article because I wanted to know his thoughts. Please let me know your thoughts on this article. Then I can respond to the rest of your statement.

www.harryrinker.com/col-1328.html