• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the hell? Batman #608 ...over $300???

31 posts in this topic

I think you just proved my point - X-Men 248, while I agree is worth nothing, is one of the defining books of the "age" just because it was the first Lee X-Men. Even the fact that this issue probably rolled off your tonge gives my point some validation. In terms of investment, sure it's worth nothing, but it still has its sppot in X history.

Back to Bats, I don't think that Bruce Wayne Murderer or Bruce Wayne Fugitive are as good and there is nothing else in the 2000s that stays in my mind. The 1990s was about Kinghtfall - even though it is worth literally less than the paper it was printed on, the books (especially 500) are still significant for the new Bat costume and the focus on Azrael. Again, these books aren't investment quality, but I would say that the significance in relation to other books of the period is there.

My two cents,

DAM

ahhh, but never forget..."Beauty and Value are in the eye of the beholder" Every book of your set (no matter how little its monetary value) still is a part of the COMPLETE set and that alone makes it important! smile.gif

Sorry DAM, but I am with Blowout on this one. Jim Lee is one of the founding members of the "Let's make a cool project and quit halfway" club. He gets inspired, and does some fantastic work, and then gets bored, finds something else to do, and gives up. Miller took Daredevil on quite a run, and changed the character and everything around him... So did Byrne on X-Men and Adams on GL... even Todd on Spidey... I see this as more of a Liefeld X-Factor thing: Hot for the moment, dead in a year.

Vic, I have to disagree. I think that this is big for the Batman and while I agree with you that all of the above had made more positive and lasting images of the characters, this is still one of the definig moments for the Batman title for our time. Although I will give you that that's not saying much.

Take DD if you will, the only issues that really stick out are 1, 7? (first red costume?), 131, 158-191 that's about it. Miller definitely defined the character (and I have to say, halfway through the 2nd Miller TPB what great stuff!) but for it's time I am sure that there were some minor keys and what not. Look at "Last Rites" of DD 297-300 with the fall of the Kingpin. Not a great story when up against some of Miller's work, but it was big for the time. That's all I am getting at, Batman 608 is big for the time. Lee and Loeb put Batman in the top spot when before it languished in mediocrity. That book even sold straight through a second printing - I think we all have to acknowledge that that is a pretty big feat for a Batman book.

My two cents,

DAM

$325 today, $25 next year.

"There's a sucker born every minute." -- PT Barnum

"There's a sucker born every minute and you just happened to come along at the right time." -- Tom Waits

You should have bought all of them at $325. You would have made some money.

Guys, I've been following this one closely - the first one sold for $640 over Thanksgiving weekend. Suppossedly there were 100 given to the creative team and another 100 given to super BSD retailers.

Personally, I would LOVE to have a copy of this book and I think I might have even bid around $200 for the first one that topped $600, but now once the top price was established this sucker is going to come down and hopefully I can pick one up next year for $50 grin.gif

DAM

You probably should have bought one for $500. That would have been prudent.

You guys are serious serious haters. Don't dis something when you don't know about it.

Here's the deal on this book. There were 200 copies of Batman 608 RRP Edition, 200 copies of Fables 6 RRP Edition, and 200 copies of Global Frequency 1 RRP Edition. They were made for the Burbank RRP conference that DC had and were ONLY given out there. The books have NOT been sold to the public.

For the Batman completist, this is a different item. Its the same as a variant cover, special cover printing, something like that. Over the past 30 days, there have been 9 sold on eBay, ranging in price from $295 to $530. There are 9 others on sale right now, with prices ranging from $170 to $405. The trend line on the prices is rising. I have another one, and I wouldn't let it go for less than $500 right now.

:devil::whee::acclaim:

You guys are serious serious haters. Don't dis something when you don't know about it.

Here's the deal on this book. There were 200 copies of Batman 608 RRP Edition, 200 copies of Fables 6 RRP Edition, and 200 copies of Global Frequency 1 RRP Edition. They were made for the Burbank RRP conference that DC had and were ONLY given out there. The books have NOT been sold to the public.

For the Batman completist, this is a different item. Its the same as a variant cover, special cover printing, something like that. Over the past 30 days, there have been 9 sold on eBay, ranging in price from $295 to $530. There are 9 others on sale right now, with prices ranging from $170 to $405. The trend line on the prices is rising. I have another one, and I wouldn't let it go for less than $500 right now.

:devil::whee::acclaim:

(worship) I was in college when this book came out. If only I would've spent my money on this instead of beer. doh!