• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your predication in 2014?

70 posts in this topic

I agree with the idea that DC silver age books will one day experience a huge boost-everyone has been focusing on Marvel for so long these DC books have been undervalued for a while. Books like jimmy Olsen #1 and curt swan's world's finest run will skyrocket in value as well as anything silver age swan. Key books like first brainiac etc will surge.

Hopefully, for less liars/cheaters/scammers/stealers to show up here.

:(

-slym

what would Comics General have threads about then? They can't all be about birthdays and pressing.

I predict:

1) Independents will continue to gain market share on Marvel and DC and they will finish 2014 at 35 - 40% of the new comic market.

2) Movie and TV books will begin to lose their luster due to more and more comics being optioned for movies and TV. Quality will begin to drive the "hot" comic market, not movie/TV news. It will be easier to identify the comics not optioned than to identify the comics that are optioned.

3) Star Wars comics will continue to be published by Dark Horse. :grin:

4) DC will begin publishing an ongoing Kamandi comic.

5) A huge turnover will occur in Marvel's top ranks as their "Marvel Now" branding loses them more and more market share.

6) DC announces a new Preacher series. The series is a flop however as the series is a re-imagination instead of a continuation.

7) Star Trek comic sales decline to where Star Trek is no longer in the top 300 comics a month. IDW goes back to the mini-series format for Star Trek.

8) Ongoing Transformers, Ghostbusters also return the the mini-series format as those ongoing titles also are stopped.

9) Boom Studios is absorbed by another independent publishing company.

10) Another issue of Walking Dead receives the "special treatment" and has 10 variant covers.

11) DCs summer crossover results in a major character losing his/her costume identity to a supervillian (ala Marvel's Superior Spider-man.)

12) Several of Image's "hot" titles cease publication as the writers/artist are unable to maintain the hectic pace of a new comic every month. Image's market share is unaffected however as they successfully publishes 5-6 new #1s every month for the first half of 2014, increasing this to 10-15 new #1s every month in the second half of 2014.

13) Valiant experiments with the anthology format for several of their "B" stars. Bloodshot headlines this book.

14) Valiant continues to appeal to the same diehard 10,000 fans neither picking up more readers or losing existing readers. All books published by Valiant eventually settle into the 10,000 copies a month range by issue 7 or 8.

:applause:

Five Books that MAY deserve a second look: (I will only comment on books that I already have:)

1 - X-Men 1 - I agree that this is still a key that has some growth potential to it in the lower to mid grade tier.

2 - Hawkman 4 - 1st Zatana is a book to pay attention to in the next few years. I picked up a copy over the summer and after seeing what some copies are getting now, my copy raw 7.5-8.5 seemed cheap.

3 - Fantastic Four 45 - I told a couple of people about this book privately and it did experience some growth. Since Marvel has no shot at regaining the X-Men property, continue to look for a push with the Inhumans as a substitute for 'mutants'

4 - Amazing Spider-man 129 - Trying to find a nice, higher grade, 9.0-9.8 without the white border on the edge looks to be a priority lately for a few and with good reason. Frank is due for a push.

5 - All Star Comics 56 = 1st Power Girl. Teenage boys everywhere love her. More importantly, who WAS in that empty chamber in Man of Steel? Was it Supergirl or Power Girl?

Five Industry Predictions

1 - Peter Parker will return

2 - I agree, as one of the ten thousand, Valiant will continue to cater to us. lol

3 - DC will attempt to clean itself up again in order to align comics with their upcoming movie universe. Expect rants from industry talent on twitter.

4 - Marvel will 'kill off' someone prominent. I am figuring on someone that will NOT be featured in a movie.

5 - Look for the Disney option NOT to renew their Star Wars license with Dark Horse. As late as July, Dark Horse said they are on pins and needles and will know more at the end of the year. I expect Star Wars to be brought back home to Marvel. Look for an Avengers cross over.

Five Board Predictions

1 - When will the Walking Dead Bubble Burst will still be going strong by this point next year.

2 - A prominent boardie will be given a thirty day timeout.

3 - The Return of Cal (I miss his posts- they are entertaining)

4 - A certain someone who keeps getting strikes lately will be banned.

5 - My money is on Park to overtake the LTPC

We already have seen books are hot while other books got derailed in 2013.

Which books will be hot in 2014?

Which books will you must have in your collection in 2014?

Which books will be declined in value dramatically in 2014?

Any book in any age and any category that doesn't matter.

THE GOOD

Which books will be hot in 2014?

A few select Valiant's will pick up steam.

NM#98 will continue to rise.

More announced movie hyped comics.Also I predict the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will be a decent hit. (thumbs u

THE BAD

Which books will be declined in value dramatically in 2014?

Most speculative Image books. The bubble will burst bad for some! :eek:

THE UGLY

one of either

Amazing Spider Man 2 or X-men Days of Future Past will perform less then stellar at the box office which causes a big market correction in their respective back issue markets. :o

Perhaps Howard the Duck 2015?

That would be so interesting in that Disney now owns Howard the Duck, especially when they tried to sue Steve Gerber and Marvel during the 1970s.

I could see it. I think I seen Howard the Duck on either the new Hulk or Spider-man Disney cartoon the other day, so yeah they must be thinking how can we merchandise Howard the Duck to a new audience?

I am always surprised he has not been revamped or rebooted.

Howard the Duck was included in the Lego Marvel Game

Namor the Submariner was not.

Let that tell you where Disney / Marvel priorities currently are.

Harley Quinn will continue to see renewed interest as she is the new "Deadpool".

I'll take that a step further and they will put her in *something* to elevate her presence a bit more. I think we're seeing the tip of the iceberg with how hot Harley is going to be.

I predict Junkdrawer is going to have a shelf full of stuff with Harley Quinn holding the big wood mallet she stole from the 80's Van Halen t-shirt guy.