• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2013!

231 posts in this topic

Picking three is tough, but here's my 2013 picks:

Hulk 181 - CGC 8.0

Bought from HarveySwick on the boards

10072257585_46e294880f_z.jpg

GSXM 1 - CGC 8.0

Bought from Nikelspot on the boards

10848947255_3d961f3025_z.jpg

Daredevil 1 - CGC 3.5 (old label)

Bought from jsilverjanet (Hector) on the boards - no scan yet

11144498116_989f0a4864_z.jpg

I slid in IM#55 :shy:

Thanks guys :hi: and Happy Holidays (early)

Wow, that's a group that I'd love to pick up too. (thumbs u

As I sifted thru this years purchases there were quite a few happy buys over the year. I went from still working on my Lady in White collection (back in the first half of the year) to selling it off in August and funding new interest in comics. I have a small but enjoyable Original Art collection, but alas nothing came to market this year that I felt the need to purchase, so no new OA for me this year (though I did get a comission, but more on that later).

The below books are the ones I was not only thrilled to purchase/get back from submission, but are also at the bottom of the "sell" list of my collection (meaning it's going to take something ridiculous for me to decide to sell these, if ever).

In March, after submitting thru Desert Wind back at the end of 2013, I recieved my Flash Annual #1 Replica with a Carmine Infantino signature. Sadly a few weeks later Carmine passed away

lypUs93.jpg

In May Hibou answered my "WTB Green Lantern SS Books" with a lovely midgrade Green Lantern 76 for a beyond fair price. While a mid-grade Green Lantern 76 is not that hard to find, the gracious price from my fellow boardie makes it impossible to replace!

124fYDZ.jpg

In August I started selling off my Lady in White collection having finished it, and deciding to move on. First thing I purchased with part of the proceeds was a More Fun #98 (scarce in Overstreet) Okajima pedigree. In the Golden Age sub-forum I've been cataloging the "Camp Era" Okajima books, which are especially interesting since they are all coded with a NUmber and Letter. Trying to find books from the various gaps is very entertaining, and frustrating at the same time. I think some pedigrees are overblown, but just about everyone agrees that the Okajima pedigree story is one of the most riveting and intriguing, especially since it overlaps with one of the most unbelievable acts in US history (interning our own citizens). Im proud to own a book from the collection.

DqyY6Uh.jpg

In June I signed up for my first sketch opp over in the Signature sub-forum after seeing the great work done by Daryl Banks. I asked him for a green lantern homage to MIS90, one of my all time favorite covers... and then in October this arrived and blew my expectations away:

CnXQ0ZV.jpg

and the side by side

o3FmUif.jpg

Well forgive the 4 in my top 3, but they were so different (to me) I couldn't pick one over the other...

...A SS from an icon who's no longer with us

...My personal Green Lantern grail

...A Green lantern comission by a Green Lantern artist

...and my first Okajima pedigree book

And while I sold off my previous collecting focus (70 Gothic Horror Ladies in White) , it was another fun collecting year. Here's hoping I stumble across some Green Lantern #159 Original Art in 2014!

I spent most of 2013 selling off most of my collection, so my Bronze and Silver Age stuff went away, but I did end up with a couple major-league Modern keepers:

Cast-signed STTNG book, in 9.8 no less (Thanks to Doug/Dscott)

BALLSTNG.jpg

Gen 13 1/2 in 9.8 - I believe there are only two on census, both originating from RMA. Impossible book to get in this grade. (Thanks to davedawgbg)

GEN13_1:2_FRONT.jpg

Honorable mention for my X-Files #1 Ashcan signed by Anderson and Duchovney (no scan). Granted, they aren't an AF 15 - but I dig 'em.

Three hm

First, Infantino signature from Mayor006

large.jpg

Second, my first OA, X-23 from X-Force #18 by Choi

large.jpg

Third, my first foreign book, Norwegian Spider-Woman. Thanks Solarcadet

large.jpg

:cloud9:

Three hm

First, Infantino signature from Mayor006

large.jpg

Second, my first OA, X-23 from X-Force #18 by Choi

large.jpg

large.jpg

:applause:

It has been a great year for acquisitions for my collection, but if I had to narrow it down to just 3, these would be my choice

Batman17_0_zps08adf7aa.jpg

amazingfantasy15_zpsbcc8a523.jpg

starspangled7vf-nm_zps9ead0f75.jpg

This whole thread has me with my tongue hanging out.

As usual Bill you just trumped everything with that line up just fantastic books that I can only dream of

It has been a great year for acquisitions for my collection, but if I had to narrow it down to just 3, these would be my choice

Batman17_0_zps08adf7aa.jpg

amazingfantasy15_zpsbcc8a523.jpg

starspangled7vf-nm_zps9ead0f75.jpg

This whole thread has me with my tongue hanging out.

As usual Bill you just trumped everything with that line up just fantastic books that I can only dream of

Thanks Kevin, and everyone, I appreciate the kudos. It has been a good year

Three hm

large.jpg

Yeah... except that this is not Norwegian. Not even close.

It may be Greek.

a scandal!