• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: DO YOU HATE THE FORUM'S NEW LOOK?

Do you hate the forum's new look?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate the forum's new look?

35 posts in this topic

What OS you running?

XP Pro on both Athlons. NT4 on the work from home laptop. At year's end will have to upgrade it to 2000 or XP 'cause Microsoft is stopping NT4 support 12/31/04...which is making my work life a living hell as we have to convert our 6000+ user network to Acrtive Directory by year's end.

....so you're an uber-geek?

I USED to be an uber-geek. Then I graduated to Ultra-Geek. At one time I had at my place an Apple II, a Mac Plus I converted from a 512K, two PC Clones, an IBM PC, three CP/M systems, an Amiga 500, a VIC 20 and a Varian Data Systems mini I never COULD get to do much but was fun trying.

Now I have two Athlon 1800+ systems and a laptop I use to work from home when required. And I use the Athlons for the following:

Internet

Games

Scanning Comics

Excel for Comics

Word for the ocassional letter or for saving an interesting cvomic article to

FTP to host some of my images

Having spent over 20 years professionally in IT, computers have lost their "gleam". Now I'd rather watch a movie or read a good comic or have a good meal than with a computer. And it is nearing time for me to find yet another occupation! Computers just ain't doing it anymore.

gossip.gif "...nano-technology........the next BIG thing....." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

settle down there Tony Stark, don't get all worked up. That's still a ways away. screwy.gif

893whatthe.gifhumor is lost on this one!

I can see it now -- everyone is going to create shill accounts just to have more PM storage. argh.

-- Joanna

Anyone wanting to send me a PM, send 'em to my shill id "greggy". thumbsup2.gif

takeit.gif

• Administrator
I've been deleting like crazy and I'm still over. For now, I'm just going to live without PMs. I'll try again later.

It has to be less than 400 because I'm now under that and I'm still over. I have no idea what the number is, but I'm sick of deleting.

I can see it now -- everyone is going to create shill accounts just to have more PM storage. argh.

-- Joanna

The limit was 400. I just upped it to 800 given all of the ranting. wink.gif

I assumed that limit applied only to your in-box, but perhaps it applies to all saved messages - in and out.

Arch

It might have to do with which skin you use, as to what changed. I use 'frosted' and one of the more significant changes is that threads used to be in bold when they had new messages, and now they aren't. I was used to searching for bold threads to figure out what to read, so it'll take some getting used to (now I have to look if the folder icon next to the thread is white or a very pale yellow - it doesn't jump out at the eye, but I probably just have to get used to it). There are other changes as well, but that's the one I'm finding most impactful.

As to the inbox size, I think the complaints are more centered around the suddenness of it. Had we known it was coming, those of us who are lazy, and hadn't deleted much, could have read through the PMs to see which to save and which to toss. I'm sure we'll get used to the new limit now (and 800 seems a lot easier to handle than 400 for those of us who've been here a long time).

There's always some grousing when things change. It's human nature.

-- Joanna

Arch

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

And to think I just dumped all my messages yesterday , after 10 fruitless minutes of trying to select PM's not worth keeping , to see what the new "limit" was.

But now instead of mad I lost every message ever recieved sinnce logging onto these boards..

I now feel like a weight has been lifted, as it is one less thing I have to keep track of.

And a heads up would have been nice Arch... not that you ever need to get our approval before you make changes.. but just as a friendly "server update" message of some kind telling us what to expect.

Either way, If all your work is well recieved, or not.

Thanks for all your work on the boards... 893applaud-thumb.gifit is not like we pay to be forum members here, so we dont really have much to complain about.

A Big TY is in order from us all.

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-

• Administrator

Arch

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

And to think I just dumped all my messages yesterday , after 10 fruitless minutes of trying to select PM's not worth keeping , to see what the new "limit" was.

But now instead of mad I lost every message ever recieved sinnce logging onto these boards..

I now feel like a weight has been lifted, as it is one less thing I have to keep track of.

And a heads up would have been nice Arch... not that you ever need to get our approval before you make changes.. but just as a friendly "server update" message of some kind telling us what to expect.

Either way, If all your work is well recieved, or not.

Thanks for all your work on the boards... 893applaud-thumb.gifit is not like we pay to be forum members here, so we dont really have much to complain about.

A Big TY is in order from us all.

thumbsup2.gif

Ze-

Yeah, I didn't really expect that:

a) There'd be a ton of people already over the 400 limit, and

b) That everyone would start deleting everything without just asking if the limit could be upped

My fault. Sorry.

sorry.gif