• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Adventure Comics 247 or Justice League of America 1 ?

Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Adventure 247 or JLA 1

51 posts in this topic

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

+ 1 X 2....... I actually LOVE me some JLA 1...... Great cover and the story is well written and drawn..... BUT....... The Legion of Superheroes was and still is an extremely popular concept..... and I would have SO loved to see Smallville extended a couple more seasons to fully develop that angle. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

+ 1 X 2....... I actually LOVE me some JLA 1...... Great cover and the story is well written and drawn..... BUT....... The Legion of Superheroes was and still is an extremely popular concept..... and I would have SO loved to see Smallville extended a couple more seasons to fully develop that angle. GOD BLESS....

Adventure #247 is still my favorite comic I own. I'm a big Legion fan (hence the name).

Honestly, I voted #247 for that reason and because it's a rarer book. I know interest in the Legion has tapered off over the years, but I would venture to guess there are far more copies of JLA #1 and even BB #28 floating around out there. The census for #247 is actually extremely low for a book of its importance.

In terms of shear importance to DC history though, I'd place the Silvers like this:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

5. Justice League of America #1

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

Adventure #247 is still my favorite comic I own. I'm a big Legion fan (hence the name).

Honestly, I voted #247 for that reason and because it's a rarer book. I know interest in the Legion has tapered off over the years, but I would venture to guess there are far more copies of JLA #1 and even BB #28 floating around out there. The census for #247 is actually extremely low for a book of its importance.

I agree 100% (thumbs u

I agree that Adv 247 is the rarer book and -- TODAY -- the more important book.

But once the JLA movie rolls out a few years from now, JLA 1 will surpass Adv 247, particularly as supply of JLA1s dwindle to an increasing demand from collectors and new collectors brought in by the movie (esp. those who are priced out of BB28). I just don't see DC doing a movie involving the Legion or any of its characters. Lightning Lad, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl -- and their progency (excluding Superboy), as cool as they all are -- are not household names or part of non-comic pop culture.

Movies -- not long-standing collector interest and desirability -- are driving pricing and supply on keys. If I am investing (not collecting) and looking for mid-term to long-term growth, I would pick up JLA1s, not Adv247s.

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

In terms of shear importance to DC history though, I'd place the Silvers like this:

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Brave and the Bold 28 will overtake Showcase 4 in both price and popularity eventually, as it should. Just my 2c

simple...Adventure 247 is a first appearance and JLA 1 is not

But, does the 1st appearance of a third tier team really matter going forward? This is why I voted for JLA 1 - the Legion has not been relevant for the past 20 - 30 years.

That being said, I would take B&B #28 over either book any day. (thumbs u

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Brave and the Bold 28 will overtake Showcase 4 in both price and popularity eventually, as it should. Just my 2c

Probably. But not necessarily importance. BB28 vs. Showcase 4 is kind of like the FF1 vs. AF15 conundrum in reverse. FF1 is arguably as important or even more important than AF15, but Spider-Man's individual popularity has long since eroded the gap and you'd be hard press to argue it not being the top Marvel book.

Whereas, Showcase 4 will always be the most important SA DC book, if not the most important SA book period. But the JLA's overwhelming popularity, and eventual movie will allow it to soar to heights that will likely far surpass the Flash's first appearance.

The real tragedy here is that B&B #28, Showcase 4, Adv 247, JLA 1, Show 22, Action 252, Flash 105, GL 1, two copies of FF 1, and 2 copies of AF 15 have all been in my collection. Now they are not :cry:

Think how ASM 1 has surged in value as AF15 has been priced out of reach for most collectors. This will happen with JLA1 vis-a-vis BB28, causing JLA1 to surpass Adv247. But to be clear, I would rather collect/hold Adv247 over JLA1 any day.

I still enjoy reading many SA / BA Legion stories, very little JLA from the same period.

Adventure Comics 247 means a lot more to me.

Think how ASM 1 has surged in value as AF15 has been priced out of reach for most collectors. This will happen with JLA1 vis-a-vis BB28, causing JLA1 to surpass Adv247. But to be clear, I would rather collect/hold Adv247 over JLA1 any day.

I just don't see it. ASM is the most collected title on the planet and Marvels flagship character. I don't think the JLA 1 compares well to that book.

BB 28 > Adv. 247 > JLA 1

+1

1. Showcase #4

2. Brave & the Bold #28

3. Showcase #22

4. Adventure #247

6. Action #252

7. Flash #105

8. Green Lantern #1

9. Action #242

10. Detective #359

Probably. But not necessarily importance. BB28 vs. Showcase 4 is kind of like the FF1 vs. AF15 conundrum in reverse. FF1 is arguably as important or even more important than AF15, but Spider-Man's individual popularity has long since eroded the gap and you'd be hard press to argue it not being the top Marvel book.

Whereas, Showcase 4 will always be the most important SA DC book, if not the most important SA book period. But the JLA's overwhelming popularity, and eventual movie will allow it to soar to heights that will likely far surpass the Flash's first appearance.

I have a completely different theory/view of that. Showcase 4,8,13,14,22-24 are what led up to BB 28. BB 28 was the big bang for the silver age. All those other books just set the stage.

I know, I know, that isn't Overstreet doctrine. There is a lot great information is OS, but it isn't correct on everything. Especially when it comes to the start of the silver age. I love it, Superboy 51 is not silver age, Superboy 52 is? :ohnoez:

OS drew that line in the sand, not DC.

Very arbitrary.

Oh wait, Bob said it, so it must be true! :shy: