• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok so I got duped!

14 posts in this topic

So I am very new to the comic collecting world and I got duped for the first time. Bought some silver-age books on craigslist only to get them home and realize they clearly have been trimmed. Needless to say I was pissed and the guy won't return my e-mail. So I've learned my first lesson I guess. My next question is, is there still value in high grade silver-age books that have been trimmed and are they still worth getting slabbed. I figure this is the best place to come for advise. Thanks in advance!

There's value in the books but it's going to be less (obviously).

Depends on the books and the grades.

If it's a big key I could see about 1/2 the value (give or take).

Non keys, I'd expect less of a drop for low grade, more of a drop for higher grade.

So I am very new to the comic collecting world and I got duped for the first time. Bought some silver-age books on craigslist only to get them home and realize they clearly have been trimmed. Needless to say I was pissed and the guy won't return my e-mail. So I've learned my first lesson I guess. My next question is, is there still value in high grade silver-age books that have been trimmed and are they still worth getting slabbed. I figure this is the best place to come for advise. Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing you didn't meet him at his house.

My next question is, is there still value in high grade silver-age books that have been trimmed and are they still worth getting slabbed.

Looks like restored #57's in the graded 7.5/8.0 range are selling at $250-$300. Keep in mind that trimmed books sometimes sell for less than books that have been color touched or cleaned.

My next question is, is there still value in high grade silver-age books that have been trimmed and are they still worth getting slabbed.

Looks like restored #57's in the graded 7.5/8.0 range are selling at $250-$300. Keep in mind that trimmed books sometimes sell for less than books that have been color touched or cleaned.

Looks like an IM #1 is going to fall in about the same range. There were a couple sold pre-movie that were sub $200 books and one restored 8.0 that was above $400, but most fall in this range.

I would file a report with the police department. If the guy knew the books were trimmed, what he did would be considered fraud/false pretenses just about anywhere. By selling them online, he may have even broken some federal wire-fraud laws.

I would file a report with the police department. If the guy knew the books were trimmed, what he did would be considered fraud/false pretenses just about anywhere. By selling them online, he may have even broken some federal wire-fraud laws.

I wonder if he's tried to contact the seller… The attempt might be a good idea.

are you sure these are trimmed? it looks like your scanner/cropping is chopping part of the books off. on the 57 front scan, the top spine looks too sharp and trimmed. back scan of the same spot shows clear blunting which makes me think your scan is cropped. old marvels like this, you can usually just look and see the texture of the original cut. the blades were often dull and you can get a good feel for what's real. the iron man looks a little crookedly cut, but that happened some times on these older books as well.