• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grade a few books

10 posts in this topic

obvious defects on this one are the spine stress at the top staple, and the piece tear on the right edge. Some tanning overall and on the back cover. Also, the spine is a little rough when looking at it dead on, but dont know how that really affects the grade.

ToS41front.jpg

ToS41back.jpg

I bought this JiM off of Showcase-New-England. Bought it as a vf+ 8.5. Dont think that it is that high. little bit of stress on the bottom edge, couple of spine stress lines, and something happened to the right of "The epic battle" in black. Also, and i dont know of you can see it, but on the back, there is a small "crease" for lack of a better term.

JiM112Front.jpg

JiM112Back.jpg

Lastly, is my fav book, this Avengers 14. Great cover, cool purple dominated, and great battle cover. Overhang on the top but no color breaks or splits. Spine is pretty tight and corners look tight too. Small date stamp on the back cover. Dont know how they will take that into consideration of i sent it into CGC.

Avengers14front.jpg

Avengers14back.jpg

Can i get the boards opinions on these books? Please point out any flaws that I have missed and are these books CGC worthy? Thanks up front for the time yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Super books, Arex. All three are slab worthy.

TOS#41: 7.5 or so. MAYBE 7.0, but I'd lean toward 7.5.

JIM#112: 8.0 to 8.5

Avengers #14: 9.0, maybe 9.2. If not for the tears in the overflash on the back cover, it would be a solid 9.2

Beautiful. cloud9.gif

Arex,

Nice set of books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's what I think:

TOS #41 7.0 Just how "rough" is the edge of the spine?

JIM #112 8.0 Great Hulk cover by Jack!

AV #14 8.5 Love the deep purple!

All sweet issues. I'd love to get my hands on that TOS #41 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks for the opinions guys. I dont know anything about the avengers 14. All i know is that i bought issues 12, 13, and 14 from a guy at the Charlotte Comicon about 9months ago. The others have the same date stamp if im not mistaken. You dont think ive got any kind of pedigree do you?

The others have the same date stamp if im not mistaken. You dont think ive got any kind of pedigree do you?

I'm far from an expert on pedigrees, but I'd say they might be distinctive in some way. Beyond the Library of Congress and the various comic book publishers themselves, I don't know of any other 'collections' of file copies. It's certainly possible that some company that advertised frequently in comic books at that time might have received complimentary copies or even promotion copies from the comic publishers, as in a sales kit. Maybe one of those advertisers / prospective advertisers kept the books and filed them away for reference... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The others have the same date stamp if im not mistaken. You dont think ive got any kind of pedigree do you?

I'm far from an expert on pedigrees, but I'd say they might be distinctive in some way. Beyond the Library of Congress and the various comic book publishers themselves, I don't know of any other 'collections' of file copies. It's certainly possible that some company that advertised frequently in comic books at that time might have received complimentary copies or even promotion copies from the comic publishers, as in a sales kit. Maybe one of those advertisers / prospective advertisers kept the books and filed them away for reference... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More likely the original owner just had a date stamp he used to record the date on each of his books. Sort of like the owner of the White Mountain pedigree did. I'll bet that his particular ink stamp just had the "filed" wording along with the date.

Most places like the copyright office, etc., that are official repositories of books will stamp the book on the front cover in a conspicuous manner. Stamping on the back cover tells me that someone was trying to be inconspicuous to some extent.