• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subby 7... last of my most recent LCS purchases

14 posts in this topic

Submariner 7... Always liked this cover. I put a blue piece of paper behind the front cover so it's not the white of the cover on the white of the scanner cover. As an aside, I also picked up TTA (2nd series) #7 which is a reprint of this cover although it's less black and white and has more modern cars, etc. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Front Cover:

Submariner7.jpg

Back Cover:

Submariner7back.jpg

SV,

Nice book, great cover, two questions:

1) Is that a smudge above Subby's head in the photo? Or is that supposed to be like that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2) Who's motorcade is that? Is that Fidel Castro sitting on the roof of the second convertible? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

SV,

1) Is that a smudge above Subby's head in the photo? Or is that supposed to be like that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

2) Who's motorcade is that? Is that Fidel Castro sitting on the roof of the second convertible? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Definitely not a smudge. They've added some "grey" into the picture along the edges of the buildings (I'm not sure why) and that's just the affect of some "greying" that they did. I had to look at the actual copy, though, because in the scan, it does look like a smudge. Good catch.

It's not Fidel, that's for sure. Not sure who it is or even where it is (although you'd assume NYC) but since it's '68, it could be a parade for an astronaut but I don't think so because those were more ticker-tape in nature and there isn't any ticker-taping going on. Maybe the World Series winner that year? This is dated 11/68. Who won in '68?

As to what I paid for it, since I bought it with several other books, my LCS guy gave me a discount and I bought this for $12. I don't think I did too bad but it's my money and I can spend it where I want! sumo.gif

This book's got some nice white pages too. Does anyone think that the mis-wrap will have an affect on the grade? If so, how much?

This book's got some nice white pages too. Does anyone think that the mis-wrap will have an affect on the grade? If so, how much?

cloud9.gifWhite pages . . . mis-wrap won't affect your grade at all (except that it does make those couple of spine creases easier to see!) Good work!

I'd leave it in a 4-mil Mylar and enjoy it - I just love gray-tone photo covers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

1968 World Series - Mickey Lolich and the Detroit Tigers 4-3 in seven games over the St. Louis Cardinals.

I'd agree w/Aces and others - around a 9.0.

Lolich (and 30-game winner Denny McLain, now doing time for several things) avenged their World Series loss of the previous season by downing the Cards in '68.

I think that was the Series where McCarver went out to talk to Gibson during a game where Gibson had actually walked a guy (gasp) and Gibson said "what the hell are you doing out here?" and McCarver said "I was just gonna talk to you about pitching to the next batter," and Gibson replied: "the only thing you know about my pitching is that you can't hit - now get f*[#@$%!!!] back behind the plate where you belong."

SV,

It's not Fidel, that's for sure. Not sure who it is or even where it is (although you'd assume NYC) but since it's '68, it could be a parade for an astronaut but I don't think so because those were more ticker-tape in nature and there isn't any ticker-taping going on. Maybe the World Series winner that year? This is dated 11/68. Who won in '68?

After a little research, I've confirmed my suspicion that it is 5th Avenue in New York, and with SV's suggestion, that it appears to be a photo from John Glenn's famous ticker-tape parade. Here's another shot of the parade, perhaps later, along the same route:

Paradepg.jpg