• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do YOU feel about the "price guide" in the OSPG?

137 posts in this topic

I am not referring to the articles, the ads, nothing else but the price guide itself - how do you feel about it? Pardons for not being clear enough, but not even info that can just be found in the PG section such as 1st appearances and such, just the actual prices of the comics as reported by Bob Overstreet.

I think my views are well-known at this point... however, it makes me wonder why so many prices are so off - can the OSPG people not take the time to make their price guide part relevant? Are there too many books to update now, since due to the internet, thousands of comics are being sold (and reported as sold) and they aren't changed in the next guide?

I was told once that OSPG doesn't change prices on all books because they don't change from year to year, but that, IMHO, isn't true. They have changed, at least once, and I get proof every time I use the OSPG and sell at 50% or lower than their listed price.

It is time for them to look into ALL the comics they cover, and not just the keys and hot-book-of-the-time. Do your job, please. If the PG is too much as it is, drop stuff out of it. But PLEASE, keep up with all the things you DO cover!

/ :signrant:

-slym

Well it is just a guide.I use it for reference on issue #'s,and key status.The prices are a moot point. (thumbs u

From my first post:

I am not referring to the articles, the ads, nothing else but the price guide itself

Please, lets discuss the numbers with dollar signs before them. Pardons for not being clear enough, not even info that can just be found in the PG section such as 1st appearances and such, but the actual prices of the comics as reported by Bob Overstreet.

-slym

I am not referring to the articles, the ads, nothing else but the price guide itself - how do you feel about it?

I think my views are well-known at this point... however, it makes me wonder why so many prices are so off - can the OSPG people not take the time to make their price guide part relevant? Are there too many books to update now, since due to the internet, thousands of comics are being sold (and reported as sold) and they aren't changed in the next guide?

I was told once that OSPG doesn't change prices on all books because they don't change from year to year, but that, IMHO, isn't true. They have changed, at least once, and I get proof every time I use the OSPG and sell at 50% or lower than their listed price.

It is time for them to look into ALL the comics they cover, and not just the keys and hot-book-of-the-time. Do your job, please. If the PG is too much as it is, drop stuff out of it. But PLEASE, keep up with all the things you DO cover!

-slym

I agree with your idea of the OSPG sell at 50% or lower than their listed price.

Maybe the OSPG should adjust about 90% of their listings back to about half-price to show what present day market prices really are?

Also

I would state on the first page of OSPG that all 1990 comics and up are worth less then cover price unless noted. So I don't have to hear Craigslist people say but guide says it`s worth at least cover? (shrug)

An example is I will offer them a dollar, but they will come back and say OSPG says it`s $3.99!

lol

OSPG is better than any other tool out there. However, you do need to use your market knowledge for the specific books, and appropriate venue you are buying or selling in.

I am not referring to the articles, the ads, nothing else but the price guide itself - how do you feel about it? Pardons for not being clear enough, but not even info that can just be found in the PG section such as 1st appearances and such, just the actual prices of the comics as reported by Bob Overstreet.

-slym

Time for some tough love

Get a full time job, maybe two

Get a girlfriend

Get some friends

Find some non-comic related hobbies

Take time away form the boards

the price guide is worthless.

I don't get it anymore, but when I did, it was for the articles. I love it when the LCS uses it to price their books.

You think they would go online with the OSPG. To keep it updated.

I guess Robert Overstreet is 75,and doesn`t really care anymore.

He is probably thinking retirement. I would hope he would have a contingency plan in effect that someone else will take over for him when he retires.

Just how are they supposed to keep all of the thousands of comics listed in the guide updated?

What amount of market research would make this possible?

Do they scour ebay for sold listings?

Do they canvass every comic seller in the world?

Thank about the enormity of what's being asked here and then ask yourself if it's possible. If you answer yes, then you're wrong

Just how are they supposed to keep all of the thousands of comics listed in the guide updated?

What amount of market research would make this possible?

Do they scour ebay for sold listings?

Do they canvass every comic seller in the world?

Thank about the enormity of what's being asked here and then ask yourself if it's possible. If you answer yes, then you're wrong

They seem do a pretty good job updating coins,action figures, Magic the Gathering cards,Lego and baseball cards prices online.

Time for a comic book price guide to use 21st century technology like the other hobbies.