• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect thoughts?

3 posts in this topic

Well, we've had threads for the recent Heritage and Comiclink auctions. What about ComicConnect? Personally, I was tapped out after other recent auction purchases and couldn't make a run at anything. Plus, I was at the vet with my dog last night for a while, which distracted me (don't worry, he's fine).

Anyhow, being an enthusiast of complete Bronze Age Marvel books, I was a bit disappointed to see three complete (or very nearly complete, in the case of the Hulk book) broken up for the auction. I do understand the argument that more people get a shot at owning a piece of a story that way, and the need to maximize profits, but I still like complete books.

If you compare these three books to the complete Bronze Age Marvel book offered whole at Heritage, I think one probably has to conclude that breaking up is more profitable. The Marvel Team-Up #51 book in Heritage barely made the $7K (before the "juice") reserve as I remember.

I don't think it's fair to compare that Sal Buscema/Mike Esposito MTU book in Heritage to a John Buscema/Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four book from a few years earlier (even if the subject matter of both was not super-memorable), but it seems like the John Buscema/Jim Mooney Thor book may be a better comparison to the MTU book. I haven't looked at final ComicConnect prices for those books, but the FF pages were doing well last I checked.

Between these three auctions (and Hakes), as well as some nice art on eBay from "everlovin" Joel Thingvall, these have been good times for art availability. Did anyone win anything fun last night? Cheers, Lee

Well, we've had threads for the recent Heritage and Comiclink auctions. What about ComicConnect? Personally, I was tapped out after other recent auction purchases and couldn't make a run at anything. Plus, I was at the vet with my dog last night for a while, which distracted me (don't worry, he's fine).

Anyhow, being an enthusiast of complete Bronze Age Marvel books, I was a bit disappointed to see three complete (or very nearly complete, in the case of the Hulk book) broken up for the auction. I do understand the argument that more people get a shot at owning a piece of a story that way, and the need to maximize profits, but I still like complete books.

If you compare these three books to the complete Bronze Age Marvel book offered whole at Heritage, I think one probably has to conclude that breaking up is more profitable. The Marvel Team-Up #51 book in Heritage barely made the $7K (before the "juice") reserve as I remember.

I don't think it's fair to compare that Sal Buscema/Mike Esposito MTU book in Heritage to a John Buscema/Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four book from a few years earlier (even if the subject matter of both was not super-memorable), but it seems like the John Buscema/Jim Mooney Thor book may be a better comparison to the MTU book. I haven't looked at final ComicConnect prices for those books, but the FF pages were doing well last I checked.

Between these three auctions (and Hakes), as well as some nice art on eBay from "everlovin" Joel Thingvall, these have been good times for art availability. Did anyone win anything fun last night? Cheers, Lee

I made a run at the byrne spidey splash from she hulk and was completely blown out of the water. I was actually shocked at how high that went. Great image though by an artistic legend so I get it. I haven't reviewed the final prices on most of the items yet but I generally thought the results were strong for the individual pages from the broken up books.

I just looked over some of the pages I had bid on. I think some of the Thor pages were a steal. The page-1 splash went for $343, and a couple of other pages went for less than $200. Rats, I should have paid more attention.