• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT (sort of)...

Like it or loath it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Like it or loath it?

14 posts in this topic

Well, I finally saw Kill Bill volumes 1 & 2 this month. It's awesome! thumbsup2.gif

A must see for comic fans, by the way. Especially, Part 1 with the animated "Origin of O-Renn Ishii".

If you grew up in the 70's, you'll like this movie. Quentin borrows heavily from ideas, motifs, sounds of that era.

If you like kung-fu movies, you'll like this movie. Great fight scenes.

If you like cat (women, not felines) fights, you'll like this movie.

All in all, it's a must see. Although, not for kids. While the gore is somewhat cartoonish, it's everywhere (especially in Part 1).

Enjoy and let me know what you think of "Kill Bill".

[P.S. - I am leaving today for vacation. I'll miss checking the boards next week.]

If you like kung-fu movies, you'll like this movie. Great fight scenes.

I still haven't watched it for exactly this reason. I'm going to see it eventually, but I've been turned off by the amount of stuff that he liberated from other films. Of course, Lau Kar-Fai is in it, so that should serve as an inducement, but it really hasn't worked that way up to this point.

Was completely underwhelmed on the First one (saw it at the theater).

Liked the second one a whole lot more (saw it on DVD).

As a qualifying note, I am NOT a big Ku-Fung / Fighting movie fan. I like action movies, but more in the unbelievable realm. Not just two people beating each other up.

Eh, Kill Bill was ok I guess, a respectful homage to japanese cult cinema if nothing else. The thing is, the movie is a very stereotypically American perception of what japanese cult cinema is all about. In reality, the bizarre japanese cinema of the early 90's and beyond is a whole new animal, wilder, more violent, and totally unpredictable. Tarantino's tribute to Japanese cinema is largely stuck in the 60's (the anime sequence being the exception, though I'm not an anime fan); he doesn't seem to realize how much the Japanese have moved beyond.

If you found Kill Bill to be enjoyable, the following will absolutely blow your mind:

Ichi the Killer (must see)

Audition (must see)

Riki-Ho: The Story of Ricky

Graveyard of Honor

Wild Zero! headbang.gif

Eh, Kill Bill was ok I guess, a respectful homage to japanese cult cinema if nothing else. The thing is, the movie is a very stereotypically American perception of what japanese cult cinema is all about. In reality, the bizarre japanese cinema of the early 90's and beyond is a whole new animal, wilder, more violent, and totally unpredictable. Tarantino's tribute to Japanese cinema is largely stuck in the 60's (the anime sequence being the exception, though I'm not an anime fan); he doesn't seem to realize how much the Japanese have moved beyond.

If you found Kill Bill to be enjoyable, the following will absolutely blow your mind:

Audition (must see)

Graveyard of Honor

Wild Zero! headbang.gif

Do they have Uma or Lucy or Darryl in them? No? Not interested. sumo.gif

This movie(s) had great characters and good actors to play them. And its the fact that it's a tribute to the 70's, that I like this film.

The whole O-Renn Ishii section was the best IMO. Although, Darryl Hannah's appearances are also a highlight (like the hospital sequence).

Audition (must see)

Graveyard of Honor

Wild Zero! headbang.gif

This movie(s) had great characters and good actors to play them. And its the fact that it's a tribute to the 70's, that I like this film.

The whole O-Renn Ishii section was the best IMO. Although, Darryl Hannah's appearances are also a highlight (like the hospital sequence).

Question: What was the "tune" she was whistling from that scene??

Yes, because we all know watching a watered down Hollywood version with "big name" actors is always better than watching the real font of creativity in action.

To be honest, I'm sure Tarantino himself would clown you for having that attitude. I don't really follow the guy, but he's got to be a Miike fan.

Actually I just googled it and they're definitely in something of a mutual admiration society...