• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Archie

16 posts in this topic

I have the original Archie comics #1 (winter 1942). It's been in my family for 40 years now but it's not in the best shape. I was advised to get it graded by cgc so I signed up and was about to send it off. Then after looking at the book closer I noticed some of the middle pages are missing 3 wraps in the middle. My question is.... Should I still try to get it graded or is it not worth it? Also is the book still worth decent amount of money since I believe it is rare? I am interested in selling it and I'm not an expert on the subject so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ArchieCover_zps37e4d037.jpg

Archieback_zps7f1f0aa1.jpg

I feel like I have responded to this before, on both this and other internet forums, but yes, it is still quite valuable even with pages missing. If you are going to sell it yourself, you will probably be better off getting it graded, because most people who have the money to buy a book of this cost are going to want independent assurance of the book's condition. I believe CGC will charge some percentage of the book's value to grade because it is worth so much, so that may be a factor for you.

For a premium book like this, you may want to find an intermediary to sell it for you, someone who is experienced and well known in the sales community.

No doubt you've already received a number of PMs offering to buy it. Given the condition it's probably not worth sending to CGC, but it's still worth a decent chunk of change. That being said, many sellers still send very low grade and incomplete key books to CGC before selling them, but I'm not convinced it adds to the value. If you don't have a history of selling comics on ebay, then you might consider consigning it, and you may well get a reasonable offer from someone on the boards, once they get past the natural suspicions that any listing of a key book by a new board member garners.

Slab it if you want to sell it as CGC becomes your representative. Archie 1s are spiking. A low grade 1.0 sold last night on CC auction for $13k+. If your copy is missing three wraps, that would likely grade as .5 and incomplete. Could still be a $3000-$4000 copy at best based on last night's show.

Slab it if you want to sell it as CGC becomes your representative. Archie 1s are spiking. A low grade 1.0 sold last night on CC auction for $13k+. If your copy is missing three wraps, that would likely grade as .5 and incomplete. Could still be a $3000-$4000 copy at best based on last night's show.

+1

How many pages are in the book now? According to Overstreet, it started with 68 pages (including the cover) and dropped to 60 with issue #3. Incomplete could still get you guide value since Archie sells for more than guide. Dealers might offer you half guide or a third.

bb

11337569023_0e19c5cdce.jpg

Fiche scan is from Pep 22 but you all knew that.

Provided that you're trying to maximize its value via a sale, I'd definitely recommend that you first ship the book to CGC for certification and then turn it over to one of the three "big" comic-oriented auction houses (ComicConnect, ComicLink, or Heritage) for sale. Shipping (via USPS Registered Mail) should run you about $25, and CGC fees (for their Express Tier service and return postage) should run you another $125 or so. Remember, sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

A declared value of $3k would be appropriate for estimating your shipping insurance and CGC fees. However, be aware that the book may bring a much higher price at auction, as there may be collectors or flippers/speculators out there looking for a decent cover to marry to their complete-but-coverless copies. A nicely restored complete copy sold for $10k earlier this year.

Simple. You do not need to be an "expert" to do it. Good luck. :foryou:

Do your research into the various auction venues, as they do not all charge the same

commissions ( and buyer's commissions cost the seller in terms of realized price). If you do go that route, I'd also ask the auction venue about the need to certify via CGC. While many here recommend it, the book will come back as either Poor (.5) incomplete, or a 'qualified" Good - (1.8) with the missing wraps listed. Just selling through a known auction venue will give the book legitimacy, and there is likely no additional benefit to having it encapsulated, but the auction venue will be able to advise you on this.

I had a similar situation with one of my two copies many years ago. The cover was in better shape, but it was missing 2 wraps. For years I waited patiently and finally found a coverless copy which I sent to Matt Nelson and today it's a beautiful restored copy. That said, not everyone wants to wait around or spend the time trying to uncover a complete interior.

I'd suggest following the advice above … it doesn't matter what the condition is, a slabbed book will always bring a higher price when you sell it. If nothing else it confirms the actual condition. Also be sure that you count the covers! The inside covers are part of the story and count toward the page totals.

No honor among comic sellers, it seems. I make an offer via PM with my phone number and he gives me a call. Seems I'm not the only one which makes sense. He says he has a standing offer and if I can beat it by $100 I can have the book. OK I says but "I'm hoping you don't keep making this a bidding war over the phone?" No, no he says I'm just happy to get a fair price for it and we agree to a deal and a price. To get past the transactions risks he says he can make a drive out to the east coast since he's a travelling salesman anyway.

Great, we'll coordinate the details as to when he'll come out and thanks again.

Not surprising, when I talk to him the next day, not only has he taken another offer but he's sold the book.

I guess I should have been more aggressive and tough to see a nice book slip away. So congrats on the boardie who did snag it no blame there. I'd rather benefit whoever that is, and not the owner who doesn't hold up to his handshake.

Ed

Sorry to hear that Ed. Nothing about this guy smelled right anyway. He was peppering the boards for weeks with this post, and from what I've heard from others, very unresponsive. This was always completely self-serving and so be it, he's trying to make a sale, but the clear big picture is that this is one boardie the CGC forum could do without.

Goodbye Archie1. Don't let the browser door hit you in the …

:sumo:

So the mystery of this Archie 1 is solved. I am sitting at the Chicago Midway Airport having just bought it from the guy (used a rewards flight on Airtran to get here).

Like everyone else I detected Red Flags with this guy, and knew I would not send him money but would have to meet with him in person if I was going to buy it. He turned out to be a really nice old guy and was really relieved when I examined the comic and told him I definitely wanted it. It's in rough shape so I'm sure he wasn't fully sure how a collector would feel when they held it in their hands

He told me I made the 1st offer on it after he posted it and then he had a couple other offers that were higher, but it would have involved him driving to the other guys or meeting them half way.

When I asked him why specifically he sold it to me he said my flying in was the determining factor.

I feel pretty lucky, because I got it at a good price.

ArchieCover_zps37e4d037.jpg

Yeah, I figure its a $5000 book - obviously more even with married interior to make it complete.

I didn't feel like getting in a bidding war and since he already went back on our deal it just wasn't worth my time to deal with him.

Other than backing out, he seemed like a really nice guy. Probably the best thing he could have done was to simply put it up on ebay with full disclosure. Gotten $4500-$5000 for it and paid ebay the fees. So I think I know what you paid and you got a great deal on a great book/cover.

Yeah, I figure its a $5000 book - obviously more even with married interior to make it complete.

I didn't feel like getting in a bidding war and since he already went back on our deal it just wasn't worth my time to deal with him.

Other than backing out, he seemed like a really nice guy. Probably the best thing he could have done was to simply put it up on ebay with full disclosure. Gotten $4500-$5000 for it and paid ebay the fees. So I think I know what you paid and you got a great deal on a great book/cover.

When he called me back he told me I would have to match your price to get it. I told him I would match it, but I would not pay a penny more if he started to do a back & forth bidding war.

In his mind he never finalized any deal with you. Truthfully, I thought he had finalized the deal with me before he talked to you, so I was a little wary. I told him I would not buy the plane tickets unless he gave me a 100% guarantee that he would sell to me.