• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick Daredevil question....

29 posts in this topic

For those that have read Kevin Smith's Daredevil arc is it any good? I am not sure how many times he has written The Man Without Fear but I am asking about the arc he penned that killed off Karen Page and Mysterio. So is it any good, worth reading? I am gonna see if my local library has a copy or can get a copy.

Thanks!

Kevin Smiths arc made my jaw drop.

I'll seriously never forget it. I was young (early teens), and just got heavily into comics.... picked up DD #1 on a whim. I remember reading all 8 one after another watching Jay Leno at night and eating cheerios lol

I remember just being stunned how good it was. I absolutely LOVED it.

I will never forget that moment in time. I don't want to reread it either because nothing will ever compare and I don't want to tarnish my memory of that night hahaha

In short, it was awesome! PICK IT UP!

Smith followed by Bendis (well... there was that short David Mack run. But that felt like an Echo book and not a DD book).... followed by Brubaker was outstanding.

Just 100+ issues of pure awesomeness (thumbs u

Smith followed by Bendis (well... there was that short David Mack run. But that felt like an Echo book and not a DD book).... followed by Brubaker was outstanding.

Yup, I like the Bendis run too. When Smith took the book on I was out of collecting. I started collecting again when Daredevil was in his early 30's written by Bendis. I then collected it all the way to the end with The Black Panther The Man Without Fear. Unfortuantely I lost my job and have been out of work for two years now and have not bought new comics since........I heard the new Daredevil series was real good, one of the best going at the moment. One day I will pick-up the issues or TPB. Whatever is cheaper.

Yup, I like the Bendis run too. When Smith took the book on I was out of collecting. I started collecting again when Daredevil was in his early 30's written by Bendis. I then collected it all the way to the end with The Black Panther The Man Without Fear. Unfortuantely I lost my job and have been out of work for two years now and have not bought new comics since........I heard the new Daredevil series was real good, one of the best going at the moment. One day I will pick-up the issues or TPB. Whatever is cheaper.

The new Waid series is excellent, one of the few new comics I still pick up. But the tone is different. The Bendis run is very much in the Miller vein, and I remember when the current series started some people complained that they didn't like the tone. It's more Silver Age, but in a good way.

As to the Smith run, I haven't read it. My first exposure to Kevin Smith's comic work was his Green Arrow run and frankly I wasn't very impressed. Walked away feeling he was very over-rated so I never sought out his Daredevil work. I'll have to give it a shot.

I also really enjoyed #16 - 19. Storyline called "Wake Up". Just a really nice, touching story about the characters on the sidelines and those "affected by" superheroes. :cloud9:

LOVED Bendis' run as I already stated. Brubaker's run started out decent from what I remember and then kind of meh

I have a general Kevin Smith aversion, but I tried to be objective about his DD run. At the end of the day it just felt like he was doing a Miller imitation. Didn't dig it at all. YMMV based on how you feel about his work.

That being said, I really enjoyed the Bendis and Brubaker runs. Tonally consistent but still pushing in their own direction.

Strangely, my favorite non-Miller run (at least until the current Waid series) was Karl Kesel's. It was the most lighthearted the character had been since, well, ever, and served as a great contrast. Really entertaining stories. Not sure if it was ever collected? When I mentioned to Karl that his run was my favorite, he used that as an opportunity to promote Mark Waid's current run. Stand up guy!

I have the Bendis and Brubaker runs and liked them both. I also like the Black Panther stuff that closed the title up.....different but good. It was fun seeing Black panther in Hell's Kitchen....

Well the Smith run has peeked my interest but I called my local library and it is not a book they carry. :sorry: A quick Google search told me it was reprinted in Daredevil Visionaries Kevin Smith, is there another TPB version of it printed that anyone knows off??

Oh and thanks for all the quick comments and feedback, gotta love this place! :headbang: