• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,299 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, Ryan. said:

Somehow, despite the deep dive I've done over the years exploring Cole's most obscure works, including all of his paperback covers, and having owned many copies of Overstreet 11 over the years, this Overstreet cover was completely off my radar. It's pretty cool!

Same, that's crazy. Looking at it here for the first time. Great find Jaime!

On 9/2/2024 at 8:10 AM, Point Five said:

Same, that's crazy. Looking at it here for the first time. Great find Jaime!

If all of those same sci-fi elements, minus Superman, were on a comic cover and released by Continental or Star, I'd be salivating for a copy.

On 9/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, aardvark88 said:

LB Cole Startling Terror Tales 11, Suspense Comics 3 (Continental) plus Ruben Blades's collection auction soon at Comic Connect:

Cool video.  I like that they also showed the Suspense #11!  

If you get any of those books, do they tell you how to get those stickers off of the front of the slabs?!?!?!  What are those things?  I thought the ones on the back of the CC auction books were bad, but sheesh!!!

On 9/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, Ryan. said:

Somehow, despite the deep dive I've done over the years exploring Cole's most obscure works, including all of his paperback covers, and having owned many copies of Overstreet 11 over the years, this Overstreet cover was completely off my radar. It's pretty cool!

Thanks.  Over 40 years later, I snagged it off ebay shipped for less than cover price in HC.  :D 

On 9/3/2024 at 12:13 AM, pmpknface said:

What an amazing romance cover by Cole in Top Love Stories #13.  The whole swirling effect brings together the operating scene and the nurse around the lovers.  Looking at this one the fantastic tagline, "I Loved My Doctor" should have been worked into the caption at the bottom in red letting, the art breathe.  Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.  

Top_Love_13a.jpg

I agree, those LB Cole swirls really bring what may seem like a disjointed layout into a nice cohesive picture. The “ I loved my doctor!” does seem like an after thought paste up, but I like how he eased up on the blue of the suit for his signature to stand out on this one! (thumbsu

On 9/4/2024 at 9:26 PM, Darwination said:

What's he shooting at?  Why is the powder smoke away from the gun?  Is that bullet changing course in mid-air? Is it a giant man in the boat, or just a small boat? hm

This one is very, very funky...

It's a heat-seeking bullet, meant to fool the Shark.  ;)

On 9/5/2024 at 10:48 PM, pmpknface said:

Ok party people...  I just got 2 new books in today.  I'll share one tonight.  I've been hunting for both of them for a very long time.  

First off, this has got to be the toughest Cole space cover to get.  Yes, harder than BB #105.  That one you can find, the trick is to afford it (and it only got to big $$$ in recent years).  This one just doesn't pop up that often and when it does it goes quickly.  I know - I snagged this as soon as it was put up for sale.  Although not a comic, I think it fits the bill for these boards as it's the same size as a pulp.

Do you know how to space?  Because LB Cole will tell you in the COMPLETE HOW-TO BOOK OF SPACE!!!

Book_of_Space_a.jpg

I missed this before it was grabbed. I'm happy it was you that got it. One of my favorite Cole covers. Bakerfan has been putting up some crazy rare Cole items.

On 9/6/2024 at 6:10 AM, Ryan. said:

I missed this before it was grabbed. I'm happy it was you that got it. One of my favorite Cole covers. Bakerfan has been putting up some crazy rare Cole items.

Thanks!  I've been talking to him a bit.  I think he's done selling stuff for the moment, but it's so he can focus on art.  This is his CAF page that has something for everyone and is amazing - and that's only 1/2 of what he has.  I hope you're sitting down...

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=L.B.+Cole&GCat=1188

On 9/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, pmpknface said:

Thanks!  I've been talking to him a bit.  I think he's done selling stuff for the moment, but it's so he can focus on art.  This is his CAF page that has something for everyone and is amazing - and that's only 1/2 of what he has.  I hope you're sitting down...

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetailsearch.asp?artist=L.B.+Cole&GCat=1188

Wow.... nice!  There are a couple of L.B. Cole recreation hoarders on CAF.  But there are more out there.

Edited by *paull*