• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #2 CGG 4.0 Would be 9.0 without spine trauma?

51 posts in this topic

I agree that "qualified" is an abused term, but I think there are cases where it can be more accurate than just giving a comic a lower grade ( loose CF, coupon clipped, torn interior page, etc.). This FF#2 would not fit it that catagory - it has a readily visible flaw at the spine, and while the scan is quite blurry, the book may still be worthy of a 4.0.

I saw that book sitting on Comiclink for awhile.

I dunno. If the book is a 9.0 without the wear, why not a 4.0?

I don't agree with calling it a qualified 9.0 in his title. It's a 4.0. Which would sell better? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed. They might as well qualify every book that has defects.

How much were they after on Comiclink for it?

Also, this Qualified stuff is just garbage. 'It would be NM without all the back cover missing' just doesn't seem right to me.

I think it was on there for $1,500.

I can't see how anybody in their right mind would pay $1,500 for that! I bet the high offer was considerably less than that.

How much were they after on Comiclink for it?

Also, this Qualified stuff is just garbage. 'It would be NM without all the back cover missing' just doesn't seem right to me.

I think it was on there for $1,500.

I can't see how anybody in their right mind would pay $1,500 for that! I bet the high offer was considerably less than that.

You could buy a 6.0 for $1,500. Let's see a 6.0 or one that the dog chewed on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Someone who is not biased to slam PGA would see the lable as it is. It is graded a 4.0. not a qualified 9.0. they just state that the rest of the book is a 9.0 ,other than the spine damage that brought it to the lable grade of 4.0. 893naughty-thumb.giffrustrated.gif

I agree. The book is graded a 4.0. The label says it would be a 9.0 if not for the spine trauma. More information is better than less, and all this label does is indicate the weight that they gave the one huge defect on the cover. What is the big crime here? If the seller wants more money than people will pay then the book won't sell. Big whoop.

Someone who is not biased to slam PGA would see the lable as it is. It is graded a 4.0. not a qualified 9.0. they just state that the rest of the book is a 9.0 ,other than the spine damage that brought it to the lable grade of 4.0. 893naughty-thumb.giffrustrated.gif

I'm not biased and yes I can read the label but I just don't see the logic in qualifying this book. Its like saying well, this book is a 9.0 except for the folding crease, water stain, chip, tear, etc. Where do you draw the line? What are you getting so frustrated.gif about?

I'm not biased and yes I can read the label but I just don't see the logic in qualifying this book. Its like saying well, this book is a 9.0 except for the folding crease, water stain, chip, tear, etc. Where do you draw the line? What are you getting so frustrated.gif about?

And you could say the exact same thing about CGC's green labels, couldn't you.

Who is being misled by this CGG label? The label says 4.0. The notes on the label provide additional information about the weight given to the one major defect on the book that is vastly inconsistent with the otherwise high grade state of the book.

The CGC green label doesn't even provide this much information. All you'd get is the qualified "9.0" without any indication of what the "real grade" of the book would be if the defect were factored in. This is BETTER? Come on. foreheadslap.gif

And you could say the exact same thing about CGC's green labels, couldn't you.

Who is being misled by this CGG label? The label says 4.0. The notes on the label provide additional information about the weight given to the one major defect on the book that is vastly inconsistent with the otherwise high grade state of the book.

The CGC green label doesn't even provide this much information. All you'd get is the qualified "9.0" without any indication of what the "real grade" of the book would be if the defect were factored in. This is BETTER? Come on. foreheadslap.gif

Sure you could say the same think about CGC Green labels and I never meant to suggest this a CGC-CGG comparison, or a case of being misled? My point was directed at the pricing of $1,500 and the whole qualified concept (CGC or otherwise). Like I said before I much rather have a 6.0 (CGG or CGC take your pick) for that kind of money than a Qualified 4.0 or CGC Qualified 9.0, especially with that much damage on the cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

Good discussion, everyone. It sounds to me like this is just a matter of personal preference. I don't have any problem with CGC or CGG/PGA using qualifed grades for books that have a single, specific defect. I actually prefer CGG's use here of the lower grade as the "real" grade, and then providing the qualified information. Either way, it injects some common sense into purchasing a slabbed book and forces the seller and buyer to focus on the comic itself rather than relying too heavily on the number on the label.

We've all encountered books that should sell for more than their technical grade would otherwise dictate because of their superior eye appeal. In this particular case, some collectors would be too distracted by the "spine trauma". It's almost an instance of what you might call anti-eye appeal. Unlike a comic with a clipped coupon or stain on the back cover, this flaw is obvious. For me personally, it's a tough call whether I would go for this copy or one that is structurally a 6.0 for the same amount of money. I'd actually be really tempted to have this copy professionally restored. I think it would be a pretty smokin' book.

THE BOOK IS NOT Q U A L I F I E D. It is a 4.0 VG.It is stated on the lable as such!!! do you get it now? screwy.gifmakepoint.gif