• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My dad has some ebay auctions up. His raw books are usually nmint

44 posts in this topic

i'm speechless... i expected a "little" more from you guys. Your calling my father a scam artist? Do you realize how mad that makes me? ... Do you have no respect at all? sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I don't think anyone outright called him a scam artist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They just said he was grade-tarded...or something like that. gossip.gif

He's a shipping profiteer and a flagrant overgrader. And he uses small scans to hide defects that he clearly hasn't factored into the grades. I'll go out on a limb and call him a scam artist.

i'm speechless... i expected a "little" more from you guys. Your calling my father a scam artist? Do you realize how mad that makes me? ... Do you have no respect at all? sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Actually, I believe the comments were constructive regarding the grading. He may want to brush up on the OS grading guide a bit. Any color breaking creases would bring a book down out of the VF range, maybe VF-, but most likely Fine regardless of the rest of the book being in Near mint shape.

And now that I see you are from Canada, that may explani the high cost of shipping? Your dad forgot to convert out of Canadian currency. confused-smiley-013.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Actually, I believe the comments were constructive regarding the grading. He may want to brush up on the OS grading guide a bit. Any color breaking creases would bring a book down out of the VF range, maybe VF-, but most likely Fine regardless of the rest of the book being in Near mint shape.

And now that I see you are from Canada, that may explani the high cost of shipping? Your dad forgot to convert out of Canadian currency. confused-smiley-013.gif

Good try, but I'm going with FFB on this one. grin.gif

He's a shipping profiteer and a flagrant overgrader. And he uses small scans to hide defects that he clearly hasn't factored into the grades. I'll go out on a limb and call him a scam artist.

Not trying to get in the middle of a sumo.gif fight.

But why is he a scam artist? ( A term we have used for much more flagrant violators ie Hammer).

$12.00 to ship 12 comics from Canada to the US in 2 seperate packages seems to be within a reasonable range. Higher than some but I bet there are some respected board members that would charge more.

8.0 for the Avengers #99 doesn't seem to off by that much, I mean it's not a 2.0 it's a decent book and grading is subjective.

His scan is 408x600 pixels not huge but not tiny. He doesn't appear to be hiding anything.

Scam seems harsh.

Eddly is just promting his Dad's ( If it is really his Dad I mean ...Dang now I'm doing it too) auctions and now has to defend his honor.

Preparing my Thick skin armor now tonofbricks.gif

But why is he a scam artist? ( A term we have used for much more flagrant violators ie Hammer).

$12.00 to ship 12 comics from Canada to the US in 2 seperate packages seems to be within a reasonable range. Higher than some but I bet there are some respected board members that would charge more.

8.0 for the Avengers #99 doesn't seem to off by that much, I mean it's not a 2.0 it's a decent book and grading is subjective.

His scan is 408x600 pixels not huge but not tiny. He doesn't appear to be hiding anything.

Scam seems harsh.

Eddly is just promting his Dad's ( If it is really his Dad I mean ...Dang now I'm doing it too) auctions and now has to defend his honor.

Subjective or not, you can't have a 5 inch color breaking crease on an 8.0.

Or a 7.0.

Or a 6.0.

Or a 5.0.

Or a 4.0.

See what I mean?

And there's another crease below that one that is just over an inch long and that breaks color. And then there's another one right below that one. The auction listing mentions only the first crease and lies about it not breaking color. It also says that there is nothing wrong with the book except for the one crease. It doesn't mention what appears to be spine wear near the staples.

You can't see any of these creases in the small scan in the auction. You can barely see them in the enlarged picture, which is still pretty small and is probably hiding even more defects.

Anyone who knows enough about grading to know that VF=8.0 knows that you can't have these defects in an 8.0. Or a 7.0, etc.

Scam seems harsh.

I didn't call anyone a scam artist, but I stand by my suggestion that the Avengers 99 listing contains an error by calling it VF instead of VG. It has a 5" color-breaking crease on the front cover (and another one that's 1-2"). That's NOT VF! makepoint.gif

memo to self: ask for LARGE scan if contemplating a VF purchase from cave-carson... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess my dad doesn't work for cgc... sorry guys, im not going to fight this much further... even with my thick skin... the fact is, I don't like it how some of you are bad mouthing my family...as... that is what you are doing...

i don't mind the "this isn't VF" complaint... my dad isn't a pro grader... and neither are you, and neither am i... its subjective... but, you have no right to imply that my dad is a shipping profiteer or a scam artist, that in my mind is crossing the line... this seems to be very clear to me... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not a grader so I won't get into that aspect, but will say that Eddly sold me a great Star Wars #1 and I believe he gave me a great deal on it plus shipped it super-fast to me. If his dad is anything like him, his dad's grading may be subject, but no way would I believe him to be any kind of scammer.

No way, no how.

My 2 cents.

Didn't you say that it looked like he was "undergrading" his books based on the scans? You're as bad as "he" is.

Speaking of which, I'm sure I'm not the only person questioning whether your "dad" is really the person behind these auctions.

I guess my dad doesn't work for cgc... sorry guys, im not going to fight this much further... even with my thick skin... the fact is, I don't like it how some of you are bad mouthing my family...as... that is what you are doing...

i don't mind the "this isn't VF" complaint... my dad isn't a pro grader... and neither are you, and neither am i... its subjective... but, you have no right to imply that my dad is a shipping profiteer or a scam artist, that in my mind is crossing the line... this seems to be very clear to me... confused-smiley-013.gif

Didn't you say that it looked like he was "undergrading" his books based on the scans? You're as bad as "he" is.

Speaking of which, I'm sure I'm not the only person questioning whether your "dad" is really the person behind these auctions.

Ok... let me present the following...

just looked at some of his auction descriptions... im convinced he's under grading these comics...

his comics that he describes as 9.2... could actually be up to 9.6 or 9.8

notice how I said I just looked at some... I did not say all. I was refering to the comics that he was pointing out as 9.2... as being under graded. And... I did not base my conclusion on the scans that he provided, but based on the fact that he bought these comics new (I often witnessed his purchases)... and the knowledge that I have of his meticulous methods of preserving them.

next... my dad and I are seperate entities... I don't know how I can prove this to you. Perhaps we could arrange a conference call?

Funny that all of his replies sound like he is 6 years old. We are not comming down on your family. This is the way it is. Don't say my Dad undergrades when it is clear that he does not. If you just posted the link and let that be it, we would not have this issue. You bloated up books that are not in the stated condition. If you don't think people here are going to have a problem with that you are mistaken. All I am saying is that if it looks like an apple and smells like an apple and it tastes like an apple....than more times then not it is an apple. That is all people here are saying. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chill... poke2.gif

Everyone's grading gets slammed here, even CGCs.

Even undergraders... blush.gif

Just watch the shipping overcharge through.

That is like pouring minerial spirits on hemorrhoids around here.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, eddie.

My Dad can't grade.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I've ever seen him read was a Playboy.

Then again...he may not have been *reading* them, per say. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And you can call him whatever you want. I'm sure it's something that I've called him myself at one time or another.

If I didn't...I'm sure my Mom has. gossip.gif

Scam seems harsh.

I didn't call anyone a scam artist, but I stand by my suggestion that the Avengers 99 listing contains an error by calling it VF instead of VG. It has a 5" color-breaking crease on the front cover (and another one that's 1-2"). That's NOT VF! makepoint.gif

memo to self: ask for LARGE scan if contemplating a VF purchase from cave-carson... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Woog

I was quoting FFB about scam artist

( Don't make me break out the woogieman song I have it written down here somewhere and I am prepared to use it!) 27_laughing.gif

The 5 inch color breaking line would keep it from being a 8.0 ( I am just now able to see it in the scan... you guys all have bigger monitors than me or just much better eyes) and maybe FFB is right it might just be a 4.0 and sure 4.0 to 8.0 is more than a subjective difference....but he still doesn't seem to fit the classic eBay scammer scenario.

I am not opposed to a little justified Azz whipping I thought this just seemed a little harsh. I am not defending the grade, I don't know the seller or the poster even. I may be way off base, and wasting my time standing up for him 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

Sighing heavily I have offended Mr Woogieman and he has such a friendly user name too sorry.gif

And I have those big scans ready big guy!

My Dad can't grade.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I've ever seen him read was a Playboy.

Then again...he may not have been *reading* them, per say. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TMI!

sorry.gifdevil.gifstooges.gif

Scam seems harsh.

Woog

I was quoting FFB about scam artist

( Don't make me break out the woogieman song I have it written down here somewhere and I am prepared to use it!) 27_laughing.gif

The 5 inch color breaking line would keep it from being a 8.0 ( I am just now able to see it in the scan... you guys all have bigger monitors than me or just much better eyes) and maybe FFB is right it might just be a 4.0 and sure 4.0 to 8.0 is more than a subjective difference....but he still doesn't seem to fit the classic eBay scammer scenario.

I am not opposed to a little justified Azz whipping I thought this just seemed a little harsh. I am not defending the grade, I don't know the seller or the poster even. I may be way off base, and wasting my time standing up for him 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

Sighing heavily I have offended Mr Woogieman and he has such a friendly user name too sorry.gif

And I have those big scans ready big guy!

27_laughing.gif

Cave, you're killing me! Glad you took a second look at that A99 scan, it wasn't readily apparent until I clicked to enlarge the pic what was going on with that one. I didn't really check out the other lots that are up for sale, and I don't really think 'scammer' applies here either, not enough dollars at stake IMO.

As for the song, SING IT STRONG, SING IT LONG, SING IT PROUD, SING IT LOUD!! gossip.gif how's it go again? tonofbricks.gif

MrWooGieMan,

Doing all he can,

Making collector's happy,

All across the land!

(feedback I received once upon a time)