• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Ellery Queen 1

10 posts in this topic

I could use some advice on this one. This is a very nice copy of Ellery Queen #1. The front cover has a very small stress mark on the top of the bottom staple. The cover is perfectly flat and glossy.

What concerns me about this book is the light stain at the top of the back cover. I don’t know how hard CGC will drop the grade for this.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ElleryQueen1_zpsecd55280.jpg

elleryqueenback_zps83b4ce25.jpg

No one wants to commit it;s a great looking book and i don't think for the little stain they would kill you,maybe half a grade.But that book should bring a high

number at least 8.0/ 8.5 only my 2 cents,Who knows you might a get a nice x-mas gift.

No one wants to commit it;s a great looking book and i don't think for the little stain they would kill you,maybe half a grade.But that book should bring a high

number at least 8.0/ 8.5 only my 2 cents,Who knows you might a get a nice x-mas gift.

Actually, I've been in meetings. :grin: These are my thoughts as well.

Tricky book. If the stain goes through the book it might mean a technical grade in the 6.0 - 7.0 range, but eye appeal should keep the value closer to 8.0, especially with a GA book where it's not like there are a choice of high grade copies available at any one time.

CGC has had a reputation for hammering stains, especially on nicer books, but recently there have been some examples that don't show this. I'm recalling an early Archie with a water stain on the front that got a 5.0, and it's not like the book looked any nicer than that without it.

http://www.sparklecitycomics.com/comic-book-value/Archie-Comics-3-CGC-5.0-SCARCE-ow-MLJ-Archie-Publications-Golden-Age-Comic

Yes, this is a tough one to grade. I think without the stain it would have gotten a 9.0-9.2. I'm guessing they'll drop it to an 8.0.

I'm not likely to find another copy of this book with a front cover as sharp as this one, so it will be staying in my collection regardless of the grade CGC gives it. I sent it out to them today with a few other books, so I'll find out shortly. I'll post the result when I get it back.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Tricky book. If the stain goes through the book it might mean a technical grade in the 6.0 - 7.0 range, but eye appeal should keep the value closer to 8.0, especially with a GA book where it's not like there are a choice of high grade copies available at any one time.

CGC has had a reputation for hammering stains, especially on nicer books, but recently there have been some examples that don't show this. I'm recalling an early Archie with a water stain on the front that got a 5.0, and it's not like the book looked any nicer than that without it.

http://www.sparklecitycomics.com/comic-book-value/Archie-Comics-3-CGC-5.0-SCARCE-ow-MLJ-Archie-Publications-Golden-Age-Comic

+1 I'm with rjpb on this one! Happy Holidays!smiley-greet008.gif

As nice as the cover looks, like rjpb I have to be a bit pessimistic about the technical grade. (And personally, I'd be unhappy to purchase a VF and find a stain that size on the back.)

I'll guess 7.0... first reaction was 6.5, but the stain looks fairly faint at least. Good luck!