• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade My ASM 667 Dell'Otto Variant

16 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

I'm relatively new to the boards, and so far everyone seems great and helpful and I've even been lucky enough to buy a couple of things off some fellow boardies already.

I would definitely like to get a little feedback from you guys regarding the potential grade on my ASM 667. It seems to have gotten rather pricey raw and I think it's time to go ahead and put it in a slab for preservation and presentation purposes and let it live with its other slabbed ASM variant brothers.

Please see big scans. Thanks so much in advance!

Warm regards,

-J.

ASM667_zps7f7753b8.jpg

ASM6672_zpscd8c4b56.jpg

ASM6673_zps974f039f.jpg

ASM6674_zpscbf13e08.jpg

Thank you for the replies Bill.

No it isn't a crease actually. I'm not sure how to describe it but it is only visible when tilted to a certain light or when I blow it up huge like I did in the pics. It looks like a slight bindery defect. The book has never been read, I got it from my LCS and never touched it. I have noticed that these have gotten hard to find and it would be nice if it hit a 9.8, esp if I decide to try to sell it. The white hides a lot of things, but the one tick by his arm on the front is invisible in the normal scan and barely visible when I make the picture huge. There is another tiny spine tick, but it's on the back cover. Do you know they allow 1 or two 1/32" ticks on a 9.8?

-J.

No, I am not the expert that some of the guys here are. However, it is my experience that if you have to wonder if it is a 9.8, it probably isn't. CGC always see things we do not. But, it is probably a solid 9.6, and with that said, I wouldn't grade it.

Maybe Bill doesnt know that this particular variant is pretty pricey?

I think it is one on the fence. Seems like CGC is letting things hit 9.8 with a few spine ticks, though the white cover might be hiding some other ticks/dents that we cant see.

Should be a 9.6 no problem with a shot at 9.8

get it slabbed, a raw one sold for $900+, so a slabbed one that is graded at 9.8 should do as well! Looks like the slabbed 9.8s have sold for between $700-$1100.

Thanks for the info and response miraclemet. Really 900 for a raw? Wow. I didn't realize they got up that high. Well I haven't seen them up for sale too often recently either. I'm assuming you saw that on gpa. I agree I definitely will go ahead and entomb it. If it comes back a 9.6 I will still be happy I guess. But if I decide to sell it I will probably buy the graders notes and do a press and re sub to try for the 9.8.

Thanks guys.

-J.

No, I knew they were big money. But, I am a grade snob, and anything from the last 20 years that is not a 9.8 isn't worth grading to me, because there are plenty of 9.8's out there. Sell your's raw and put the money towards a graded 9.8, if you want one for your collection.

I totally agree with you about the only having moderns being only in 9.8 slabs. I wasn't able to find any right now though and if a raw is going for 900 dollars I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyway lol. I guess I'll just sub the one I have now and keep my fingers crossed. I'm thinking i have a 50/50 shot at a 9.8 at this point. Thanks again guys. :wishluck:

-J.

Maybe Bill doesnt know that this particular variant is pretty pricey?

I think it is one on the fence. Seems like CGC is letting things hit 9.8 with a few spine ticks, though the white cover might be hiding some other ticks/dents that we cant see.

Should be a 9.6 no problem with a shot at 9.8

get it slabbed, a raw one sold for $900+, so a slabbed one that is graded at 9.8 should do as well! Looks like the slabbed 9.8s have sold for between $700-$1100.

^^

ASM667S_zps399f9390.jpg

Of course we all hope for a 9.8 but considering what I got it for at my LCS, and that these are virtually irreplaceable in any grade or condition, I'm pretty stoked. :banana: And wow, you guys are good at what you do, again, I appreciate the feedback. And FYI, I got I back slabbed in 20 days, modern fast track.

-J.