• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Four Color Disney Comics rarity

13 posts in this topic

Hey...it's been a while but I finally got around to plotting up some more CGC data. This time I wanted to look at early Disney Four Colors since that is something I collect. I show the graph here, but check out my blog for my thoughts on the data.

Disney_Four_Color_Graph.jpg

I like your site, and I highly recommend it. One thing though it`s becoming clear that Barks stuff is really becoming niche. I really don`t see Barks comic books holding their own against the likes of golden age Superman, Batman and Captain America comic books in the future.The Barks stuff will probably follow a similar path that happened to Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,and Hopalong Cassidy. The Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,and Hopalong Cassidy market were even 10 years ago larger then they have become now! The Barks fan base just continues to age. Too bad because this Barks stuff is great.

Barks is all about the story and other than a few iconic covers he isn't going to hold up in a CGC age. Unless they figure out how to reboot and and get kids reading his stuff again I don't see it having huge demand either. Works for me as I try to complete my WDCS collection on the cheap.

Thanks for posting the data, it is interesting. I'm kind of shocked at how few of the non-duck Disney books are graded. Some of those are great reads.

Hey...it's been a while but I finally got around to plotting up some more CGC data. This time I wanted to look at early Disney Four Colors since that is something I collect. I show the graph here, but check out my blog for my thoughts on the data.

Disney_Four_Color_Graph.jpg

Thanks for the interesting figure. I also like your blog a lot.

I've also noticed FC 4 being the outlier in just about any graph even though the census population has increased significantly in the last 4 years. It must have had unusually low circulation, significantly less than the 245,000 printed copies of WDCS 1.

It's strange to see how FC 9 has so many more graded copies than both 29 and 62. Perhaps there is still the somewhat outdated perception that it is a "valuable" key book. Personally, I think FC 4, FC 29, FC 62, and Large Feature 16+20 all are more attractive books grade-for-grade. FC 9 is much less enjoyable to read than any other Barks Four Color.

Anyway, your figure is an interesting way to examine supply and demand. It's neat to see how a very high price doesn't necessarily lead to an increasing supply.

Disney_FourColor_Graph.jpg

I've also noticed FC 4 being the outlier in just about any graph even though the census population has increased significantly in the last 4 years. It must have had unusually low circulation, significantly less than the 245,000 printed copies of WDCS 1.

It's strange to see how FC 9 has so many more graded copies than both 29 and 62. Perhaps there is still the somewhat outdated perception that it is a "valuable" key book. Personally, I think FC 4, FC 29, FC 62, and Large Feature 16+20 all are more attractive books grade-for-grade. FC 9 is much less enjoyable to read than any other Barks Four Color.

Anyway, your figure is an interesting way to examine supply and demand. It's neat to see how a very high price doesn't necessarily lead to an increasing supply.

(thumbs u

I'd love a 29 but have zero interest in a 9

(thumbs u

i like 9 :sorry:

(thumbs u

I like 'em all...

8813858596_4cd42227a0_c.jpg

but 29 is my favorite cover and 291 is my fav story.

(thumbs u

I like 'em all...

Nice group shot. It's hard to go wrong with any of them, but I'm partial to 189 (Old Castle's Secret) and 367 (Christmas for Shacktown). I have a feeling, though, that I may have made other choices the last time we discussed this. :D

(thumbs u

I like 'em all...

Nice group shot. It's hard to go wrong with any of them, but I'm partial to 189 (Old Castle's Secret) and 367 (Christmas for Shacktown). I have a feeling, though, that I may have made other choices the last time we discussed this. :D

I know what you mean. I often pick Scrooge #5 as my fav.

8021920367_e8dd795688_b.jpg