• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Usefullness of ComicsPriceGuide.com

12 posts in this topic

This is regarding http://www.comicspriceguide.com/

They seem to never update their price listings.

What are your thoughts on the price listings? Are they a good reference? When do they ever update them?

Is there any value add in looking at their "top 10 comics to watch"?

And the most important question: what online resources do you use?

Zero usefulness especially if you look at their CGC 9.8 and higher values... They use some sort of algorithm across the board.

I brought this up at their booth at a show recently and they kind of shrugged it off, "I've been an overstreet advisor blah blah blah for xxx amount of years."

Then one of his co-workers made a racial comment and I walked away, not before I let them know how I felt about the comment.

nice and knowledgeable community, a lot more pro-raw than pro-slab folks there.

The guide itself is useful as a cataloging tool, but the pricing is pretty much useless as others have said. It suffers like all the static guides in the age of electronic sales, aka out of date.

As DRE said, they use a default algorithm for ALL books. They then rely on manual corrections from the default to create actual updated and valid info. Since it requires manual changes, they dont happen very often. They have a whole section where their boardies submit sales as evidence for price updates the way people submit set lists here to be added to the competitive registry.

I'd say well over half of the members there post here as well.

OP (original poster) here with his personal experience:

(*) I have north of a 100 books in my collection -- all moderns. I updated my collection in May-2013. They have yet to update the pricing -- not one bit.

(*) I listed 20 books for sale out of my collection. I have received zero messages. But I have been inactive in advertising my books in their forums.

(*) The top 10 comics to watch seems to be a bit too speculatory. Aside from the Avengers, X-Men and Rocket Raccoon, they have: Peter Panzerfaust, Thief of Thieves, Day Men and Clone. ToT has dropped to 12,000 prints. Clone is down to 5,700 prints. Day Men had major delays in releasing issue #2. Unless they have inside information, they put way too much weight into prospects for television.

to your second post, addressing the things I havent referenced yet.

There selling section is terrible, dont expect good results there, though Branget's idea of scooping deals from it as a buyer is good, selling there is not advisable from my experience.

As for their comics to watch, its updated every couple of months, and like the price guide, is generally updated by users of the site prod'ing for change, not an active administration at the company.

Their top 10 doesn't update as much as I would it to.

I agree that the knowledge there is superb, I've learned a lot about the hobby on that site. Great community.

As for selling, this site is a lot more active.

This to me seems like a selling site.

CPG to me seems like a cool place to hang out and talk about comics.