• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY and EBAD

41 posts in this topic

Some of you know I almost got taken on ebay on an Iron Man 55. Well JD learned his lessson. Now I see and Item that would go Great in my collection but not CGC ss. I ask the guy "Why not CGC the Signature" his response why would I do that.

THIS IS MY POINT.

TRUST NO ONE I have been seeing sooo many what I consider False Grading, false signatures and What not on EBAY more than ever. HIGH Grade =4-5 ..for some. One guy is claiming Jack Kurby Signed his CA 200 I said where he said on the Back....(What ???) But I see MASSIVE Bids and fear for our fellow collectors being Taken by these scrupulous characters.

Yeah, there is no way for us to protect everyone. All we can do is report any shady sellers and share them with our fellow board members. I am sure most of us can think of a time where we have been taken at least a little on there.

Here is an Actual Conversation I had today

Dear artautographsandtoys,

Hey I would have to submit this to cgc ss...- dwyerja

JIM CHEUNG ORIGINAL SKETCH OF THANOS ON INFINITY #1

Item Id:

Dear dwyerja,

why?- artautographsandtoys

Dear artautographsandtoys,

?? It's a Cheung drawing of thanos, I have starlin, Perez, shah, ponsor. All cgc it's a must with sketches . Why didn't you, I would have to and then wait. What's your coa?

Dear dwyerja

,I have roughly 750 sketches and drawings in my collection...why would i want to pay someone else to tell me that the drawngs that I got in person are real? CGC is a farce my friend...how can CGC possibly tell you that the drawing I got in person is real or not? They weren't there at the store that he was signing in..

.Please do not buy this from me...- artautographsandtoys

Yes but Buyer be aware now. The issue is Ive seen too Many Fakes. Sketches IMO should be CGC. Those that arent are riskier now more than ever.

Some Guy Showed Ribic a "Ribic" Sketch and he said Right there at a Show...I didnt do that... Thats not my THOR.. The Man 50 years old paid 300 on Ebay for it. and Got Some Nice drawing but not by Ribic. CRied and was so upset.

If you have a store and you are a member of CGC, they will take photos and send it it I think, I dont know why you wouldn't

Although I like my sketches CGC I know many collectors don't care or in some cases can't (like on European conventions).

I have talked to people who got sketches from the artist for $20-$40 (normal price for quick sketches over here). The collector saw the artist making the sketch and that is good enough for them. Many people over here don't get why one would pay $200+ if the can get it in person for a tenth of that. Signatures are even given out for free over here!

Sorry but I have to agree. The only way to truly authenticate a sketch on a blank is to get it graded via ss.

If someone tells you that it will get a yellow label after the fact they are lying.

I know people sometimes complain about price. But there's no placing value on certification.

I have a few signatures on books that I have no intention of selling so I saw no point in getting them SS. I purchased a Romita Sr, sketch through Dynamic Forces. Their relationship with the Romitas and their certificate were good enough for me as it is a piece I do not think I will ever part with.

I guess I fall into the category of not always needing everything signature-CGC'd

With that said with full disclosure, I own more CGC SS books than I do non CGC SS signed books. But I do not always look at it as necessary for every little thing.

Um. From last I know, you can not get a yellow label from cgc unless the artist himself hands it in or cgc is present at the time of the signing/sketch , with out without a "COA"

Cgc does not accept COAs, and only on certain occasions, like a sketch opp, can the artist mail sketches to cgc, with prior approval.

Um. From last I know, you can not get a yellow label from cgc unless the artist himself hands it in or cgc is present at the time of the signing/sketch , with out without a "COA"

Cgc does not accept COAs, and only on certain occasions, like a sketch opp, can the artist mail sketches to cgc, with prior approval.

I just now am reading this thread and wondered when or if someone(s) was going to mention this. OP - there is no way the seller can now get the book into a SS holder. In fact, if he - or you - sent to the book CGC it would get a qualified (green) label.

The vast majority of signed books out in the world HAVE NOT been signed with a CGC employee or authorized signature facilitator present. No COA, no note from the artist, not even a note from the Lord himself - NOTHING can get those books into a yellow CGC SS holder.

It depends what you plan to do with the book.

If you ever planning on resale then SS is the way to go.

Otherwise who cares. I have stood in line with guys getting 50 slabs signed. Not one of them SS. Cant tell you the number of raws I see the same way.

As someone already posted the majority of signed books will never be SS. The only time I would use them is for a book I want to invest in over time and want that authentication present. Otherwise its a money grab by CGC.

This is very true. One l see more than ever are people who are selling comics for full price of cent version when they are clearly the pence counterpart.

Nowadays l would only buy cgc comics off ebay, think this is the best way forward. Not worth the hassle.

As a pence collector they are actually worth more to me than a cent book in high grade :)

so I have no problem with it as long as they SAY it is pence

Merry Xmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmtBVI4-Bl0&feature=youtube_gdata

See Thats is what I thought. I never submited a CGC SS Yet. But I can at Shows I have been told with the artist/author present. Is That True?

Yes - but only if the artist/author signs the book in the presence of a CGC employee or authorized Signature Facilitator. Then the book has to stay in the sight/possession of the CGC employee or SS facilitator until it is handed over to CGC to be graded. So unless a signature faciliator is handling the entire transaction for you, the key is not if the artist or writer is present - but is CGC present at the show.