• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY and EBAD

41 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on Dynamic Forces?

The charge too much and have too many variant covers? (thumbs u

I'm actually old school and don't actively collect signed books myself. I don't like signatures on the cover and the couple of signed books I do own are raw and signed on the first wrap. I've learned more about signature series books the last couple of years because I needed to. oops - I forgot. I bought a set (1-4) of the first Crow books just a couple of weeks ago and one is signed. So i do own one slabbed, signed book. It's not SS though because it wasn't witnessed.

If I collected signed books - and my experience as a seller - is that buyers are accepting books like Dynamic Forces that come with a COA as authentic items (signatures)

Did I answer your question?

If I buy a SKETCH VAriant (Blank ben Drawn on by Artist) IT HAS to be CGC or I wont touch it. Some sellers get upset which is what started this thread. and Topic. I just like to know what others are thinking

That's your opinion and it's certainly a valid one. However, hassling a seller simply because he doesn't believe that all sketches need to be CGC-verified was pretty rude.

I'm a big proponent of the Sig Series program, but I see the value in getting unverified stuff too. This year I got a Harlan Ellison sig in a hardcover book and I got a Joe Simon painting of Captain America. Neither of them are Signature Series, but I trust the sources and the provenance on them enough to know that they are authentic.

Like others have said, it depends on the reason you want it. If you want it for uniformity or resale, SS is the way to go. If you trust the source or acquire the sig/sketch yourself and don't plan on selling, the Sig Series program has less relevance to your collection.

Collect what you like and don't hate on others that don't share your collecting sensibilities.

I Dont hate on anyone. Its just MY Opinion and I respect others. If I came off that way I dint mean to. I meant as a true Sketch collector not wanting to have an issue. If I KNOW the guy than yeah no problem but its EBAY and know no one. But The Seller took such offense that I cant trust him. and I can get a Cheung done.

But The Seller took such offense that I cant trust him.

He asked you to please not buy the item, so I guess that means he can't trust you, either.

If I buy a SKETCH VAriant (Blank ben Drawn on by Artist) IT HAS to be CGC or I wont touch it. Some sellers get upset which is what started this thread. and Topic. I just like to know what others are thinking

That's your opinion and it's certainly a valid one. However, hassling a seller simply because he doesn't believe that all sketches need to be CGC-verified was pretty rude.

I'm a big proponent of the Sig Series program, but I see the value in getting unverified stuff too. This year I got a Harlan Ellison sig in a hardcover book and I got a Joe Simon painting of Captain America. Neither of them are Signature Series, but I trust the sources and the provenance on them enough to know that they are authentic.

Like others have said, it depends on the reason you want it. If you want it for uniformity or resale, SS is the way to go. If you trust the source or acquire the sig/sketch yourself and don't plan on selling, the Sig Series program has less relevance to your collection.

Collect what you like and don't hate on others that don't share your collecting sensibilities.

Well said.

I have well over 200 non-CGC signed books. 95% of the sigs are on the 1st page. Sure, I can submit them all and get a Green Label (which wouldn't bother me because they were signed in my presence so I know they're real), but because they're signed on the 1st page, the sigs couldn't be enjoyed. And since these books will always be with me, I want to enjoy them. If I were to lose my mind and sell them, I'd find a message telling me I was wrong for not getting these SS'd to be pretty rude. A seller has just as much right to sell a non-SS book as a buyer has to pass on the item.

It sounds like you were unaware that books cannot be SS'd without a CGC Rep. being present, so lesson learned. But his reaction to your message is not at all surprising.

2c

I have well over 200 non-CGC signed books. 95% of the sigs are on the 1st page. Sure, I can submit them all and get a Green Label (which wouldn't bother me because they were signed in my presence so I know they're real), but because they're signed on the 1st page, the sigs couldn't be enjoyed. And since these books will always be with me, I want to enjoy them. If I were to lose my mind and sell them, I'd find a message telling me I was wrong for not getting these SS'd to be pretty rude. A seller has just as much right to sell a non-SS book as a buyer has to pass on the item.

It sounds like you were unaware that books cannot be SS'd without a CGC Rep. being present, so lesson learned. But his reaction to your message is not at all surprising.

2c

Creator signatures inside a book not witnessed by CGC employee/signature facilitator get a blue label. It is un-witnessed signatures on the cover that will get a green (qualified) label.

Not to muddy the waters further - but you can submit books with un-witnessed signatures on the cover and REQUEST a blue label. The signature is then treated as a defect and the book gets a lower grade in a blue label holder. I've seen a few high grade books where it looks like the grade ding for the un-witnessed signature was substantial. I own one mid grade book where it is not apparent that the un-witnessed signature had any affect on the grade at all.

2c

Creator signatures inside a book not witnessed by CGC employee/signature facilitator get a blue label. It is un-witnessed signatures on the cover that will get a green (qualified) label.

Not to muddy the waters further - but you can submit books with un-witnessed signatures on the cover and REQUEST a blue label. The signature is then treated as a defect and the book gets a lower grade in a blue label holder. I've seen a few high grade books where it looks like the grade ding was substantial.

I was of the understanding that it goes green no matter what at a certain point. My copy of ASM 1 is in a blue label 2.5 with MANY non color breaking creases on the front cover. However it says "Stan Lee 1979 in blue ballpoint pen across the top. I was thinking one day of getting that pressed out. Suppose it goes to a 5.0... does it go green?

2c

Not to muddy the waters further - but you can submit books with un-witnessed signatures on the cover and REQUEST a blue label. The signature is then treated as a defect and the book gets a lower grade in a blue label holder. I've seen a few high grade books where it looks like the grade ding was substantial.

I was of the understanding that it goes green no matter what at a certain point. My copy of ASM 1 is in a blue label 2.5 with MANY non color breaking creases on the front cover. However it says "Stan Lee 1979 in blue ballpoint pen across the top. I was thinking one day of getting that pressed out. Suppose it goes to a 5.0... does it go green?

I am 99.9% certain that at 5.0 you would still get blue. I own a 6.5 book that is blue label with an un-witnessed signature. The book looks 6.5 and not a bit better - honestly I'd not have been surprised if it got a 6.0.

I do not know where the cut off is in terms of blue/green on un-witnessed signatures. . It would appear to be "high grade". I have seen 8.0's in green labels with un-witnessed sigs. When I received the 6.5 book I speak of I put in a question on the "ask CGC" forum. No answer yet but it's only been a week.

I agree. Just because the seller didn't get the book graded doesn't mean he is a "fake" and putting him on blast for disagreeing with you wasn't cool. And whats up with questiong the seller about a COA? Do COAs even have any credibility with CGC when the authenticity of the COA can't even be verified? I've got books that were signed by the original artists and had a COA from the shop that was verified by the owner of the shop. COA don't mean anything and I'm not surprised the seller responded to you the way he did.

As far as getting sketches graded, I could care less. If I'm going to buy a sketched cover then I'm buying it because I like the artwork not because of the slab. I have no clue who most of these newer artists are anyways and I don't feel its worth paying a premium for a graded copy drawn by some random person.

2c

I am 99.9% certain that at 5.0 you would still get blue. I own a 6.5 book that is blue label with an un-witnessed signature. The book looks 6.5 and not a bit better - honestly I'd not have been surprised if it got a 6.0.

I do not know where the cut off is in terms of blue/green on un-witnessed signatures. . It would appear to be "high grade". I have seen 8.0's in green labels with un-witnessed sigs. When I received the 6.5 book I speak of I put in a question on the "ask CGC" forum. No answer yet but it's only been a week.

Mine are all over 9.2 and would probably get Green if I wanted the highest grade, Blue if I choose the sigs to be treated as a defect.

But my point wasn't the label. The sigs are (mostly) on the 1st page so if I have them slabbed, I wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

2c

Mine are all over 9.2 and would probably get Green if I wanted the highest grade, Blue if I choose the sigs to be treated as a defect.

But my point wasn't the label. The sigs are (mostly) on the 1st page so if I have them slabbed, I wouldn't be able to enjoy them.

And a good point it is! (thumbs u

This is Mine

246s386.jpg

off topic, that sketch is terrible, unless you got it for free. then its, still terrible.

This is a good example of a common free con sketch done by Jim Starlin. He's a great artist and often does pre-show drawings to sell at cons which are of much higher quality, but he is more interested in talking to fans than sketching at shows. I've found him to be a very friendly guy and I like that he at least does some sort of sketch when people ask rather than just refusing.

If you want a nice piece from him, you can get there early and buy it. If you want a quick sketch, he'll usually oblige, but it will likely look like this. Say what you will, but I give the guy kudos for sketching for free and going to shows.

This is Mine

246s386.jpg

off topic, that sketch is terrible, unless you got it for free. then its, still terrible.

This is a good example of a common free con sketch done by Jim Starlin. He's a great artist and often does pre-show drawings to sell at cons which are of much higher quality, but he is more interested in talking to fans than sketching at shows. I've found him to be a very friendly guy and I like that he at least does some sort of sketch when people ask rather than just refusing.

If you want a nice piece from him, you can get there early and buy it. If you want a quick sketch, he'll usually oblige, but it will likely look like this. Say what you will, but I give the guy kudos for sketching for free and going to shows.

if it was free, then i shouldn't say anything about it. was a joke that wasnt funny. sorry jaydee.

THATS IS FROM JIM STARLIN HIMSLEF 64 years OLD Creator of THANOS and Many Others....Its Like Bashing Kirby for a Captain america or Silver Surfer sketch or Miller for a Daredevil sketch.

Or Stan Lee for having a crapy signature

i do bash kirby art. i cant draw but as far as artists go, i think its terrible. everyones a troglodyte reaching for something. miller on the other hand is great. stans signature is a signature.